Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the next England manager is?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
First and foremost, we need someone who the players will revere, maybe even fear and then that someone needs to decide how we're going to play and then find the best XI to fit in to that approach. Shearer ticks the boxes for me, football isn't rocket science and Shearer isn't a rocket scientist. Way too many nice guys have been England manager, I shudder when I see the likes of Howe and Hughton mentioned, they may be great club managers but not for England. And Southgate? Do F**K off.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Disappointed that Hodgson resigned, it was the players who failed.
But fir next manager, I would not be surprised if Southgate got the job. Pardew if he is willing to leave Palace, but I will not be happy with either of these options.
Allardyce isnt a bad shout, but again, still not an inspired option. Eddie Howe, too young.
Foreign... maybe Hiddink, LVG or Blanc, I would be happy with them, possibly Pellegrini?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
First and foremost, we need someone who the players will revere, maybe even fear and then that someone needs to decide how we're going to play and then find the best XI to fit in to that approach. Shearer ticks the boxes for me, football isn't rocket science and Shearer isn't a rocket scientist. Way too many nice guys have been England manager, I shudder when I see the likes of Howe and Hughton mentioned, they may be great club managers but not for England. And Southgate? Do F**K off.

I thought Shearer too but then I saw some of his team selections in the papers for the last few games and it was pretty much the same as Hodgson - strikers shunted out wide, players out of form being picked etc.

Roberto Martinez is free but then as you say, we don't want another powderpuff type which is how he presents himself to me.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This. He has a good record of taking over underachieving teams and making them efficient. It will be his biggest challenge yet.

And his fisticuffs away at Norwich at the tail end of last season showed more passion any England manager has shown for a long time.

Big Sam is the one for me too. May not be aesthetically pleasing but he gets teams organised and playing within their limitations, plus I don't think he'd be afraid to ruffle a few feathers within the FA. Lets be honest he can't be any worse than Roy. It can't be Southgate though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Big Sam is the one for me too. May not be aesthetically pleasing but he gets teams organised and playing within their limitations, plus I don't think he'd be afraid to ruffle a few feathers within the FA. Lets be honest he can't be any worse than Roy. It can't be Southgate though.

I dislike Allardyce but he has precisely the skills we need in terms of imposing a system and instilling the discipline to play within it.
Unfortunately as you point out he would ruffle feathers and the old farts at the FA won't stand for that.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm on the Big Sam bandwagon. I want to see him drilling the defence for 6 hours a day until they learn how to defend throw ins and corners. We need a manager who can turn a bunch of disinterested, untalented f***wits into a decent team where the team is much better than the sum of it's parts. Sam fits the bill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here