Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And even if we do 'win' over Falmer - ANOTHER SETBACK FOR GUNNERS' STADIUM

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Arsenal's plans to build a new 60,000-seater stadium have hit another stumbling block with local residents demanding that the European Court of Human Rights block the project.

Plans for Ashburton Grove have already been delayed, with the stadium now due to be built in time for the start of the 2006-07 season, and the costs have escalated to £350million.

A bid to stop the development in the High Court in London has already failed but now two Islington residents have enlisted the help of EarthRights Solicitors to fight their case, alleging that the Gunners have infringed their rights under the European Convention of Human Rights by withholding information.

EarthRights claim the information, some of which related to the funding of the project, was withheld from local councillors in December 2001 and also from the High Court last year when decisions were made on whether the project would be approved.

Charlie Hopkins of EarthRights said: "Even in December 2001 there was evidence that Arsenal's plans were not financially viable and this evidence should have been given to the politicians who made the decision to approve the plans.

"It might have produced a different result, saving a lot of expense and distress all round.

"We believe that the UK courts should have granted an appeal but since they did not out clients are taking the case to Strasbourg and it may be many months before a decision is taken."

I wouldn't mind so much but I worked in Ashburton Grove last year and it's total shit hole, mainly derelict buildinds.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
tough times there then , makes me wonder if falmer will happen!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This is a bit like the application to get 2,000 more seats at Withdean. How can one or a tiny group of idiots make such a big difference to such big projects? It is totally fvcked that a miniscule minority or individual can spoil things for the majority.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Totally different set of circumstances.

There is no-one prepared to put up that sort of challenge if Two Jags gives us the green light. The costs to them would astronomical. Millions.

The important point about Falmer is that all - and I mean all - the information has been presented, and now it is out of everyone's hands. Although Prescott might want to be reminded about the fact there are three LABOUR MPs in the city. Does he want to keep it that way?

Desperate people. No chance of winning. :tosser:

Dandyman

In London village.
bhaexpress said:
I wouldn't mind so much but I worked in Ashburton Grove last year and it's total shit hole, mainly derelict buildinds.

Entirely suitable for the Arse, then...

:D

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
bhaexpress said:
but now two Islington residents have enlisted the help of EarthRights Solicitors to fight their case,

Probably Spurs fans

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No it didn't, but having said that, there's no way in the world that it could be described as an 'area of great natural beauty'.

It is in fact, a rat infested slum as I've already said. It also homes Islington's main refuse tip.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
bhaexpress said:
No it didn't, but having said that, there's no way in the world that it could be described as an 'area of great natural beauty'.

It is in fact, a rat infested slum as I've already said. It also homes Islington's main refuse tip.

Rather like Waterhall used to be then!!! And what's so 'beautiful' about the concrete 60's buildings at Brighton Uni?

;)

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
wheres persus? he hasnt shown up on this thread yet banging on about Shoreham airport site!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Curious Orange said:
Rather like Waterhall used to be then!!! And what's so 'beautiful' about the concrete 60's buildings at Brighton Uni?

;)

I agree, I'm merely paraphrasing to claptrap we've had from the Nimbys.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Mr Popkins said:
wheres persus? he hasnt shown up on this thread yet banging on about Shoreham airport site!

Don't encourage him!!! We are all well aware of his views.

My personal belief on the Ashburton Grove situation is that it probably won't happen with the Albion. The Public Inquiry will be the end of the matter.

bhaexpress said:
two Islington residents have enlisted the help of EarthRights Solicitors to fight their case

Charlie Hopkins of EarthRights said: .....
Charlie Hopkins is, of course, the lawyer who has been representing Falmer Parish Council at our Public Inquiry.

:salute:

Curious Orange said:
Does this Hopkins guy go around persecuting every football club in the country? Or just the South East?

:nono:

What really pisses me off is that he is a legal advisor to the Supporters' Group that brought Newport County back to life.

People who know me will be aware how dear that cause is to me.

He hates Cardiff City, but to the best of my knowledge has never engaged Sam Hammam in legal combat.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One of the advantages of Pende it is four times the size of the piddly Arsenal plan.

Even if you did not like football, what would you rather have:

1) a sports stadium landscaped into a country park
2) 25 thousand lorry loads of builder's rubble dumped in the field outside your house.

250 weeks at 100 lorries a week for five years = 25,000.

I think some people ought to wake up!

:blues:

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
bhaexpress said:
... 60,000-seater stadium...

Plans for Ashburton Grove have already been delayed, with the stadium now due to be built in time for the start of the 2006-07 season, and the costs have escalated to £350million.

Did I read that correct?

£350m, to build a 60,000 seater stadium!??! That takes 4 years to build!?!?

Ours took 20 months, and cost around £20m... and holds 24,200 expandable to 37,500. I imagine the extra cost will be about £10 (guess) and take around 6 months (according to Mr Mad).

So what the hell makes this beast of stadium so expensive?!? I know that real estate in London is a bit pricier than Reading (not that much though, similar to Brighton), but why £350m? Surely you can build a quality 60,000 seater stadium on far less.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende is estimated at £55 million first stage with the main stadium plus the reserve ground and training facilities, access roads etc.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: And even if we do 'win' over Falmer - ANOTHER SETBACK FOR GUNNERS' STADIUM

WiltsRoyal said:
Did I read that correct?

£350m, to build a 60,000 seater stadium!??! That takes 4 years to build!?!?

Ours took 20 months, and cost around £20m... and holds 24,200 expandable to 37,500. I imagine the extra cost will be about £10 (guess) and take around 6 months (according to Mr Mad).

So what the hell makes this beast of stadium so expensive?!? I know that real estate in London is a bit pricier than Reading (not that much though, similar to Brighton), but why £350m? Surely you can build a quality 60,000 seater stadium on far less.

It's probably £290m of legal fees, and £60m for the stadium!!!

And £10 for an extra 10,000 seats at the Mad Stad sounds too good to be true. Although now I think I sound like one of those Reading boards you referred to on another thread.

Seriously though, it does make you wonder. Is it just the case that the costs spiral expanentionally the longer a project goes on. Or is someone somewhere taking the michael because of it being Arsenal and it being in London?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here