Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] An epidemic of "cramp" in SE7

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But what if it is real cramp? Because that certainly happens.
If a player only goes down at the end of defending a move, five yards from the edge of the pitch, as happened last night, I'd suggest it either wasn't real cramp or he could have hobbled the extra five yards off the pitch to get immediate treatment without stopping the game. Physio runs round, stretches it out and gives our ailing friend a sip of water. Two minute job.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Players generally know when someone is seriously injured or if they are "injured". Look at the reaction of the players when the Charlton sub did his hammy yesterday a few mins after coming on, both sets of players knew he was hurt and the game was stopped. The rest of the time we pretty much carried on or tried to whenever one of their players went down with a minor niggle/cramp.

The easiest way to stop this is tightening up the rules. Only the ref can stop play, and that's only for serious obvious injury/head injury. Anyone else can only be treated at the next stop in play, if that stop in play comes from a team putting the ball out then there is no obligation for the ball to be given back, they lose possession simple as that.

Also take the temporary concussion sub rule from rugby, if a player goes down with a suspected head injury they are taken off immediately and assessed off the pitch for concussion. They can be replaced by a player and that sub reversed if they can continue, if not the sub stays on the pitch. It would reduce play acting as well as improve player safety, and get the game restarted a lot quicker. You also wouldn't have those farcical scenes involving the Villa clown keeper a few weeks before the world cup break.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Players generally know when someone is seriously injured or if they are "injured". Look at the reaction of the players when the Charlton sub did his hammy yesterday a few mins after coming on, both sets of players knew he was hurt and the game was stopped. The rest of the time we pretty much carried on or tried to whenever one of their players went down with a minor niggle/cramp.

The easiest way to stop this is tightening up the rules. Only the ref can stop play, and that's only for serious obvious injury/head injury. Anyone else can only be treated at the next stop in play, if that stop in play comes from a team putting the ball out then there is no obligation for the ball to be given back, they lose possession simple as that.

Also take the temporary concussion sub rule from rugby, if a player goes down with a suspected head injury they are taken off immediately and assessed off the pitch for concussion. They can be replaced by a player and that sub reversed if they can continue, if not the sub stays on the pitch. It would reduce play acting as well as improve player safety and you wouldn't have those farcical scenes involving the Villa clown keeper a few weeks before the world cup break.
A Swedish, well-connected ref pundit said during the WC that this would be discussed by IFAB next year.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I said the same thing recently on another thread. I certainly think that the 30 minute rule would improve the game.

But, as it was pointed out to me, it won't stop the injury faking because the intention is to stop the opposition 'getting into their flow' (as the ludicrous commentators are now saying). Breaking up the rhythm of play.

Imagine making love to a beautiful woman, and the fire alarm going off every few minutes.
Tell me you’re a fan of Chicago Fire, without….

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is quite a sulk after failing to break down league 1 Charlton
I'm not sure complaining about cheating is a sulk. But then you support a team whose striker routinely fouls dangerously, dives and tries to referee the game himself, yet can't convert the resultant spot kick when the nation needs him to.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I said the same thing recently on another thread. I certainly think that the 30 minute rule would improve the game.

But, as it was pointed out to me, it won't stop the injury faking because the intention is to stop the opposition 'getting into their flow' (as the ludicrous commentators are now saying). Breaking up the rhythm of play.

Imagine making love to a beautiful woman, and the fire alarm going off every few minutes.
Especially if the alarm heralds the arrival of Fireman Dan....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

At our age (give or take a couple of years) don't you think that might actually help?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
over the top rubbish about well-being, mental health
It's not over the top at all.

If you see some of the shit people are told when struggling it's clear mental health still isn't taken seriously enough, especially in men where showing any mental struggle is seen as being unmanly.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
One episode the players Brighton player kicked the ball out for them - Why, play to the whistle if the ref thinks its a problem he will intervene.
To be fair the only time I remember us kicking the ball out the Charlton player had gone down holding his hamstring and got subbed off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here