Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] An epidemic of "cramp" in SE7

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone keep count of how many times Charlton went down "injured" last night, only to make miraculous recoveries.

The head injury they faked in their own box was the nadir but every other player seemed to have cramp every time the ball went out and at least two other occasions where we, rightfully, refused to stop play with a player down with a hair sprain.

I know the ref added 7 minutes but the net result was breaking up our play and frustrating players and fans alike, not to mention hundreds of fans who'd spent all night queuing nearly missing the last train back from London Bridge. And - guess what - it was exactly what Villa did.

It's beginning to look a lot like a deliberate tactic.

Can anything be done in addition to the much more rigorous additional time as seen in the World Cup? Any way faking injury can be dealt with by yellow card and / or free kick without encouraging even more play acting or endangering player safety, which still has to be paramount?

I'm struggling with this one.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Anyone keep count of how many times Charlton went down "injured" last night, only to make miraculous recoveries.

The head injury they faked in their own box was the nadir but every other player seemed to have cramp every time the ball went out and at least two other occasions where we, rightfully, refused to stop play with a player down with a hair sprain.

I know the ref added 7 minutes but the net result was breaking up our play and frustrating players and fans alike, not to mention hundreds of fans who'd spent all night queuing nearly missing the last train back from London Bridge. And - guess what - it was exactly what Villa did.

Can anything be done in addition to the much more rigorous additional time as seen in the World Cup? Any way faking injury can be dealt with by yellow card and / or free kick without encouraging even more play acting or endangering player safety, which still has to be paramount?

Would like to see these “athletes” do two hours straight in Valley Grove on a cold Wednesday evening

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've thought this before - if a player goes down injured they get subbed off. No exceptions.

Managers only get 5 subs and they'll soon get f***ed off with not being able to make tactical changes because someone has gone down with cramp.
So if Lewis Dunk covers a shot and gets hit in the balls and has to lie down for a minute, he should be subbed off? Or if Harry Kane does his nice-old paralyze-move and someone lands badly and loses their breath and can't get up for a minute, they are to be punished for Harry Kane trying to put them in a wheelchair?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The problem for the Albion is that teams will have watched the Villa game and seen that we can't get our game together with constant stoppages. It doesn't augur well for matches against teams struggling for points. It wouldn't shock me to see Southampton players hitting the deck every five minutes

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

More rigorous enforcement of the rules certainly. The Argentina goalkeeper pulled some antics when their game (either the final or semi final) went to pens, and should have been booked but wasn’t. He did it again and was booked (I think) but the pen was missed. Job done for Martinez. I love a good classroom analogy when dealing with football players and supporters but I give a general warning at the beginning of the lesson then sanction heavily when anyone steps out of line. The kids take the piss if you do the whole first warning, second warning thing, Football is the same. People know the rules.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
It’s easy to sort this out. 30mins of live ball in play each half - stops all time wasting dead
It’s as much about disrupting momentum as time-wasting unfortunately, it would still happen.

Gross went apoplectic at the ref at one stage as it was clear that the pattern was when one them went down with cramp, the rest of the team would go to the touchline to receive a brief from the manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes it is a deliberate tactic designed to break up play. Play should only be stopped if a player has a serious injury (any head impact, or any other injury requiring he be substituted). Simple

The rule should be that if a player appeals to have the game stopped for a serious injury they must be substituted as well as treated. If they make a swift recover after having stopped play they should be sent off for faking serious injury.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s easy to sort this out. 30mins of live ball in play each half - stops all time wasting dead
I said the same thing recently on another thread. I certainly think that the 30 minute rule would improve the game.

But, as it was pointed out to me, it won't stop the injury faking because the intention is to stop the opposition 'getting into their flow' (as the ludicrous commentators are now saying). Breaking up the rhythm of play.

Imagine making love to a beautiful woman, and the fire alarm going off every few minutes.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I say this every time this debate rears its head.
Cannot understand why it’s not the same as rugby.
If a player is injured, physio comes on and treats the player whilst play continues.
There would be a reduction of “injuries” by about 90%.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Time wasting tactics are cheered when you do it and infuriates when the other team does it.

Scoring early is the way to stop it
Scoring isn't easy, though.

I am fine with time wasting like the lionesses in the final, taking the ball to the corner. But faking injury is next-level cockwomblery.

It addition to the breaking up of the game's rhythm, there is also the crying wolf element. I would find it hard not to laugh if a player who had repeatedly faked cramp went down with a real injury, possibly life-changing, and play continued all around him because he'd passed several auditions as that day's pantomime cheat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I say this every time this debate rears its head.
Cannot understand why it’s not the same as rugby.
If a player is injured, physio comes on and treats the player whilst play continues.
There would be a reduction of “injuries” by about 90%.
It sounds good in theory, but what if the "injured" player is in the 6 yard box, like that big lunk who went down feigning a head injury to end our attack ? You can hardly have a physio giving a player treatment in the box. And (of course) it would be deemed "too dangerous" to move him out of the way.

This type of gamesmanship is getting more and more prevalent because it IS very effective. And footballers are born cheats, its in their DNA. I don't have the answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here