[Football] An apology

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
For a scary moment there I thought you were going to say you were wrong about everyone on your ignore list! ;)
Edit to add. Who the f**k is ben that's been brought to your attention? :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Southgate is going to remembered as one of the most successful England managers of all time and most people will forget things like picking Maguire and Phillips when they don't kick a ball for their clubs instead of players like Dunk and JWP, but I won't be one of them.

Massive asterix next to his tenure for me, successful despite himself.

Inicio-asterix-figure.png

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I made the mistake of watching it. We have some wonderful players going forward.

But for some reason Southgate has made Henderson and Maguire the hill he will die on. The result being that we struggle to pass out from the back, and we lose speed of passing and thought at the back and in midfield. It's baffling. However, I am reconciled that I will be that old geezer in the pub that when the subject of our champagne Euros success comes I will be saying the equivalent of "should have played Greavsie". And is then ignored. I can live with that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You’ve gone too early. Once England face a top side in the knockouts GS will go defensive again despite having some of worlds best attacking talent at his disposal. You know the script he’s had three chances of going all the way and blown every single one of them.
Other apologies are (and will be) available.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Southgate is going to remembered as one of the most successful England managers of all time and most people will forget things like picking Maguire and Phillips when they don't kick a ball for their clubs instead of players like Dunk and JWP, but I won't be one of them.

Massive asterix next to his tenure for me, successful despite himself.
If he wins a tournament he will have been proved 100% right in his decisions. Nobody moans about Alf Ramsey playing Geoff Hurst over Jimmy Greaves in the 66 World Cup, do they?

If he doesn't win a tournament then it will always be a case of what might have / should have been. I for one, hope he is proved right.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Steady on.

I'm a Southgate Fan Boy. But I do acknowledge he is no master tactician. My liking for him is his ability to bring the team together as one and make them hungry to do well.

Half the battle, perhaps more than that, in international management is being liked by your players. And I don't think England have had a manager so clearly appreciated as he is. He has top man management skills.

For me, Capello was the best tactician of our time. And we all know how that turned sour.
But unlike Capello he‘s tactically inept.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You’ve gone too early. Once England face a top side in the knockouts GS will go defensive again despite having some of worlds best attacking talent at his disposal. You know the script he’s had three chances of going all the way and blown every single one of them.
Go defensive? He was playing two DMs last night. Admittedly, Rice can drive forward into advanced positions but, as with the blessed Kalvin of the Manchester bench, his primary role is to sit deep and protect Maguire & co or, in last night's match, sit deep and fail to protect them by missing the ball and not dropping back to cover the cross.
When you have Maguire getting beaten at the near post and Stones standing trance-like by the far post for the Italian goal, I have to question the comments from HWT and others that they did well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can't criticise GS for failing to win a tournament. 30 odd teams are in them and only 1 of them wins. In none of the tournaments have we been so far the best team that we should have won. In all of them, we got well into the tournament and lost a tight game. Fair enough. s*** happens in football

Nor will I criticise his qualifying record. It is exemplary

I do think though that his stubbornness over selection is fair game. Henderson has basically retired, but still gets to play internationals, all the time we have players playing well, playing every week in the toughest leagues. What sort of message does that send? Enough has been said over Maguire, but as a Brighton fan I'm massively disappointed he's not committed to Dunky who deserves an extended run of internationals much more than Maguire

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Watching Maguire putting his studs on the ball, then pushing it a yard or two in a vaguely forward direction (even he was not sure in which direction it would go), then, with a look of nervous tension on his face, passing a few yards sideways to Stones or Rice with an implored "please don't give it back", or threading it 10 to 20 yards forward between England players to pick out an onrushing Italian, did not fill me with confidence. I dread to think what the likes of France, Argentina and Brazil will do to him after another 9 months of Southgate coaching him how to play out from the back. It reminded me of Mings but without the left footed 40 yard slice into touch that he has made his trademark over the years.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think he has a lot of talented players at his disposal at the moment, and any half decent manager could do what he has done, I still think he failed to react against Italy in time and threw the young kinds under the bus bringing them on for penalties another mistake.

I am still on the fence.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't think his ability to get a diverse set of club players performing as a team and playing as well for England as they do for their clubs should be underestimated.

His record speaks for itself. In days of yore, we'd have huffed and puffed our way through that qualification group, probably needing a result in the Ukraine v Italy game to go our way to eventually qualify on GD. This time we've qualified as group winners with two easy games to spare!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think his ability to get a diverse set of club players performing as a team and playing as well for England as they do for their clubs should be underestimated.

His record speaks for itself. In days of yore, we'd have huffed and puffed our way through that qualification group, probably needing a result in the Ukraine v Italy game to go our way to eventually qualify on GD. This time we've qualified as group winners with two easy games to spare!
Yep. That was, in no way, an easy group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports