Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Albion view from the Wednesday end

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I went to the Wednesday game on Sat, one of my few away outings every year and sat with a Wednesday supporting friend in their main stand (just inside our half in the first half). I've been interested in how different my perspective on the game was from so many of our fans up in the away end. Here's 5 things I took from the game:

1. Ulloa - was interested to see him play after not going to the Arsenal game and hearing such glowing references on NSC. But oh my days he was poor. He was not, as some have suggested on here, given some 'rough stuff' by the Wednesday players, he was just comfortably out-muscled by them. His theatricality in response to this was embarrassing. I fully understand why he got such stick and can only hope that this was a BIG off day. He certainly didn't look particularly sharp.

2. The ref and our discipline - the ref wasn't that bad. Barnes' challenge was NUTS. A definite red. Their bad tackle on Calderon was a yellow, a bad yellow, but not a red. The ref certainly didn't favour any one side and he wasn't helped by some of our players who go down too easily and who complain too much. Frankly they need to concentrate more on beating teams who they are palpably better than. I'm convinced this is a major problem for us in this division. BTW - I think CMS was offside in the original attack which brought us our goal.

3. Our general performance - Shocking. The goalkeeper had a mare, the defence looked clueless, the midfield were sloppy (our passing was at times abysmal) and our strike force just got no change from Wednesday. Poyet reckons we were better than the scoreline. I would suggest that we only lost 3-1 because Wednesday really aren't very good.

4. CMS - we were better up front when he came on. Livelier. He does have the ability to look clueless sometimes though. If in doubt about a forward pass, he should keep the ball and play a simple pass back, not just aimlessly pass it back to them. He gives us impetus though and I'd be starting him whenever possible.

5. The random Poyet team selection - Poyet doesn't know his strongest team. This is a weakness. These guys need to get used to playing with each other game after game, we just seem to line up differently every time. I can't for a second believe that this isn't a bad thing.

In terms of the season overall, I said at the beginning of the season that if we didn't get into the play-offs then Poyet would have failed. I'm sticking by that. I really do think we have a terrific squad and days like this are so frustrating because we're so obviously the better team (even if we fail to show it!).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ulloa has barely played a game this season. He isn't going to look overly sharp and in fact, at the moment he may even be a little bit tired considering the training schedules. I wouldn't worry about him at all at the moment and to be honest, I don't think we'll really see him at his best until the start of next season when he's fully up to speed after a full pre-season with us. I don't think we need the play-offs THIS season, I think we have the quality to get in them and results like this one are fundamentally not good enough but we have no right to go to Sheffield Wednesday and believe we should win the game.

I think our aim should be the play-offs, deffinitely. But I wouldn't say Poyet had "failed" if we don't get into them, so long as we've had a good go and built on the solid platform provided last season.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
I went to the Wednesday game on Sat, one of my few away outings every year and sat with a Wednesday supporting friend in their main stand (just inside our half in the first half). I've been interested in how different my perspective on the game was from so many of our fans up in the away end. Here's 5 things I took from the game:

1. Ulloa - was interested to see him play after not going to the Arsenal game and hearing such glowing references on NSC. But oh my days he was poor. He was not, as some have suggested on here, given some 'rough stuff' by the Wednesday players, he was just comfortably out-muscled by them. His theatricality in response to this was embarrassing. I fully understand why he got such stick and can only hope that this was a BIG off day. He certainly didn't look particularly sharp.

2. The ref and our discipline - the ref wasn't that bad. Barnes' challenge was NUTS. A definite red. Their bad tackle on Calderon was a yellow, a bad yellow, but not a red. The ref certainly didn't favour any one side and he wasn't helped by some of our players who go down too easily and who complain too much. Frankly they need to concentrate more on beating teams who they are palpably better than. I'm convinced this is a major problem for us in this division. BTW - I think CMS was offside in the original attack which brought us our goal.

3. Our general performance - Shocking. The goalkeeper had a mare, the defence looked clueless, the midfield were sloppy (our passing was at times abysmal) and our strike force just got no change from Wednesday. Poyet reckons we were better than the scoreline. I would suggest that we only lost 3-1 because Wednesday really aren't very good.

4. CMS - we were better up front when he came on. Livelier. He does have the ability to look clueless sometimes though. If in doubt about a forward pass, he should keep the ball and play a simple pass back, not just aimlessly pass it back to them. He gives us impetus though and I'd be starting him whenever possible.

5. The random Poyet team selection - Poyet doesn't know his strongest team. This is a weakness. These guys need to get used to playing with each other game after game, we just seem to line up differently every time. I can't for a second believe that this isn't a bad thing.

In terms of the season overall, I said at the beginning of the season that if we didn't get into the play-offs then Poyet would have failed. I'm sticking by that. I really do think we have a terrific squad and days like this are so frustrating because we're so obviously the better team (even if we fail to show it!).

Constructive opinion ! On here? Are you mad???

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

So in response to your points:

1. Ulloa may have had a poor game but remember its only his second game for the club. Sure, the theatric side could be done without but that will take time;
2. No real agruments with the main decisions although Pugh's tackle was terrible and could have been a red;
3. Bad day at the office. It happens. But Upson is brand new to the team having not played regularly for months and in general we had a bad day;
4. CMS does have the potential to really impact games but to fit him in we would likely have to sacrifice a central midfielder which would put even more pressure on an already shaky defence (at the moment);
5. Not sure what Poyet could or should have done differently saturday. I for one was happy with the starting line-up...

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding

Maybe you should just go and sit in the home end at Hillsborough every week mate, don't think we will miss you.

This just sounds like another Poyet bashing thread, but from a slightly differently contrived angle....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maybe you should just go and sit in the home end at Hillsborough every week mate, don't think we will miss you.

This just sounds like another Poyet bashing thread, but from a slightly differently contrived angle....
Well said. Stunningly negative and unsupportive.

Definitely just "one of those days" - in a 50 game season that is delivering some of the best football ever played in Albion shirts.

A lot of people on here are very stupid.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was delighted with the team selection, less so with the performance and result. We move on, Hull next.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

Definitely just "one of those days" - in a 50 game season that is delivering some of the best football ever played in Albion shirts.

The OP is far from stupid. It's not negative and unsupportive. Truth of the matter is we have far to many of "those days" this season.

Out of interest were you there on Saturday? Or are you just another of these idiots who has to have an opinion on something you know F*** all about?

When you leave your house at 6.45am and return to it at 22.30. Having spent over a hundred bar you would like slightly more than the shit that was served up on Saturday. By both the Brighton team and the referee

Interesting points do contain:-

Why the hell did CMS not start?

Why was Pugh not sent off for a worse challenge than Barnes?

Is upson really going to cut it?

Why was Hoskins not brought on?

Is ulloa good enough?

These are just a select few.

Ok we are not going to win every game. We certainly have no right to turn up at hillsborough and expect to walk over the opposition.

But if we are serious about making a promotion bid we certainly have to start getting results against teams that are obviously not as good.

If you hadn't noticed Wednesday have now won the same amount of games as us this season. This is NOT good enough. Questions have to be asked of the whole management/team setup. They sure as hell arn't all going to be positive.

So take stock and give a considered opinion. Don't just brand people stupid for raising legitimate concerns.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

5 wins in 20 suggests we get a lot of those days FFS wake up. Take it you're too young for 70's 80's

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

5 wins in 20 suggests we get a lot of those days FFS wake up. Take it you're too young for 70's 80's

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think we've been a little bit unlucky as well this season. Bolton h, Wolves a and Birmingham a should all have been clear wins. We've had others that probably cancel out the luck we have had. You do make you're own luck, but with those extra 6 points we'd be on 48pts, 6th, 3 pts behind Palace with a game in hand.

Last season I think we had a bit of extra luck getting the points we did, however this season I feel we're definitely owed some - starting Saturday hopefully!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I think we've been a little bit unlucky as well this season. Bolton h, Wolves a and Birmingham a should all have been clear wins. We've had others that probably cancel out the luck we have had. You do make you're own luck, but with those extra 6 points we'd be on 48pts, 6th, 3 pts behind Palace with a game in hand.

Last season I think we had a bit of extra luck getting the points we did, however this season I feel we're definitely owed some - starting Saturday hopefully!

Been thinking this for a while, also we've drawn a fair few that we would have lost last season. Fortunately Upson has a week in between games to remember why he's a defender and how to pass instead of hoof :)

raz_18

Thomas Parrott
Jan 26, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex

Don't forget Leeds!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting points do contain:-

1. Why the hell did CMS not start?

2. Why was Pugh not sent off for a worse challenge than Barnes?

3. Is Upson really going to cut it?

4. Why was Hoskins not brought on?

5. Is ulloa good enough?

So take stock and give a considered opinion.

1. CMS did not start because Gus considered we had a greater chance of winning the game using his choice of starting line-up and having CMS as a likely "impact" substitute with 20-30 minutes left.

2. You'd have to ask the referee. I don't have a problem criticising the referee. The OP did not - he sought to minimise the impact of the referee on the afternoon's proceedings.

3. I should think so. A lot of weight is being put on his part in their first goal but that was a fluke and not really Upson's fault.

4. Gus thinks he's shit and doesn't like him.

5. No. On the showing so far we have completely wasted our money.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No, not too young. I can remember unsupportive moaning in those days too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No, not too young. I can remember unsupportive moaning in those days too.

I care to tell you I am supportive but when time and again the same approach is used which is not getting results then normally someone does something about it. Drawing games like did last season and this, the inability to come from behind in game smacks of a tactical fault. If you wish to blindly follow and not prepared to criticize, fine. There's those of us that can see with a slightly different attitude we would be challenging higher, but there you go, never mind.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
1. CMS did not start because Gus considered we had a greater chance of winning the game using his choice of starting line-up and having CMS as a likely "impact" substitute with 20-30 minutes left.

2. You'd have to ask the referee. I don't have a problem criticising the referee. The OP did not - he sought to minimise the impact of the referee on the afternoon's proceedings.

3. I should think so. A lot of weight is being put on his part in their first goal but that was a fluke and not really Upson's fault.

4. Gus thinks he's shit and doesn't like him.

5. No. On the showing so far we have completely wasted our money.

1. He got that wrong....again

2. Barnes was at fault not the ref. The ref was a twat but he didn't let three goals in. Nor did he pick a team with no pace what so ever.

3. Didn't pick his man up. It wasn't a fluke the guy got in that position just the fact it hit his foot/leg/nose/ears whatever else.

4. Childish shit. If you going to say something make it constructive.

5. Jesus Christ give him a chance. When he had some support i.e. CMS, between them they run Wednesday ragged.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I care to tell you I am supportive but when time and again the same approach is used which is not getting results then normally someone does something about it. Drawing games like did last season and this, the inability to come from behind in game smacks of a tactical fault. If you wish to blindly follow and not prepared to criticize, fine. There's those of us that can see with a slightly different attitude we would be challenging higher, but there you go, never mind.
I have sympathy with this sort of thinking. It has been VERY frustrating watching us play at times during the past two seasons (not least during the second half at home to Bolton when I nearly went literally mad...). At other times it has been brilliant watching us play Gus's football. My own view is that Gus knows what he is doing.

He is not a negative manager by choice. We scored goals for fun at times using his system in League One.

In the Championship our defence has not been strong enough and this has dictated tactics. Greer, El Abd, Calderon and Ankergren are all players who get exposed by Championship attackers if not given extra protection in the form of a very solid set-up in front of them.

I think with this year's additions (Upson and Ulloa to bed in), and Vicente back, we will see some very enjoyable football over the remainder of the season. Sod's Law that just as it all looked promising (i.e. last week) then Buckley is out injured and we get an early red card in the next match - one of those days...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1. He got that wrong....again

2. Barnes was at fault not the ref. The ref was a twat but he didn't let three goals in. Nor did he pick a team with no pace what so ever.

3. Didn't pick his man up. It wasn't a fluke the guy got in that position just the fact it hit his foot/leg/nose/ears whatever else.

4. Childish shit. If you going to say something make it constructive.

5. Jesus Christ give him a chance. When he had some support i.e. CMS, between them they run Wednesday ragged.

So hang on, you've quoted 5 wins in 20 as not being good enough in an earlier post, in which CMS has just 5 goals in those 20 games, and yet you're biggest grievance appears to be CMS not starting? How does that work then??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here