[Albion] Amex - preferred neutral venue

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Obviously not. But this is one of my main gripes. Nobody seems to be talking about how the other 3 professional leagues will or won't be completed as if it doesn't matter. It wasn't so long ago we were one of these clubs. It makes me sick that the only thing seemingly of importance to the footballing powers at be is the Premier league.

Arguably some smaller clubs could go out of business at the end of this crisis but one suspects even if we lost football for a season somehow the Premier clubs would survive. Survival of the fattest?

I’m hoping that the PL getting its act together and being able to play games when ‘safe’ (whatever definition that is) that some of the dough generated has to be pushed down the league

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Scenario: The season restarts after the lockdown is eased using the Amex as a chosen venue for games.

I wonder how many away fans will pencil in a day out in Brighton for a few summer beers? I have a suspicion there might be a few if Palace, West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Southampton are playing their matches at the Amex.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Scenario: The season restarts after the lockdown is eased using the Amex as a chosen venue for games.

I wonder how many away fans will pencil in a day out in Brighton for a few summer beers? I have a suspicion there might be a few if Palace, West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Southampton are playing their matches at the Amex.

Pubs won’t be re-opening anytime soon. And when they do they certainly won’t be permitted to show sports on big screens.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They're highly unlikely to finish. Too many tests required*.

* And not enough money riding on it.

Nail, head, hit.

Although how would these other divisions decide on promotion/relegation if they didn't finish?

If the Premier League want to finish the season 'for the integrity of the season' then surely that must apply to the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2. But as you say it's all about money.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is the daftest idea that I have ever heard of

You can't use Neutral Venues

That means teams would need to travel. Hotels would need to open to accommodate them. Hotels would need to be staffed and restaurants in the hotels opened to prepare food. The staff would be coming from their homes travelling on Public Transport and potentially picking up the Virus and passing it on.

The same would apply to any team travelling if they were the away side. If they are going to play the matches then you cut down the risk by 50% if you only have one team travelling. It is a totally idiotic idea to increase the risk by having two sides travelling for every match that is played.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

A few beers where exactly?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not if social restrictions are still in place.

I'm really surprised how the FA think that supporters will turn up. There may be a handful, bit once all get carted to the nick and teams get threatened with points deductions that will stop.

Albion need the AMEX home games. Especially as they are against top opposition. Losing that advantage could be damaging.

As regards the integrity of the league, to maintain it this season should be finished. The next one can wait.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Do you really think the Premier League cares a jot about FANS?

Edited for you.
But who has the most to lose?
Norwich - 5 home games, all winnable with crowd. Especially Hammers & Albion
Villa - 6 home, 4 top 6.
B'Muff - 6 home, all winnable.
Watford - 5 home, the last being V Norwich which would decide a relegation spot***.
West Ham - 5 home including 2 teams below them***.
Albion - 5 home, none winnable except the crowd would help V Arsenal.

*** West Ham V Watford & Villa along with Watford V Norwich it could be argued need a home advantage.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The opportunity to watch (on telly) other clubs drag the Albion into relegation, playing in our stadium.

It's a 'no' from me.

On the flip side of course, is tha we are used to playing on our own pitch as we do it week in week out, other clubs won't be.

Might give us a small advantage? . . . might not of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is the daftest idea that I have ever heard of

You can't use Neutral Venues

That means teams would need to travel. Hotels would need to open to accommodate them. Hotels would need to be staffed and restaurants in the hotels opened to prepare food. The staff would be coming from their homes travelling on Public Transport and potentially picking up the Virus and passing it on.

The same would apply to any team travelling if they were the away side. If they are going to play the matches then you cut down the risk by 50% if you only have one team travelling. It is a totally idiotic idea to increase the risk by having two sides travelling for every match that is played.

This, good post.

We will be watching in our living rooms. For me this is what nails how stupid it is. Fans - please stay at home and stay safe. Multi million pound assets - please put yourself at risk for the people's amusement, er, sorry, I mean television squillions.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
[/B] Nail, head, hit. Although how would these other divisions decide on promotion/relegation if they didn't finish?

No promotions. No relegation. Like the Eredivisie, for example.

If the Premier League want to finish the season 'for the integrity of the season' then surely that must apply to the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2. But as you say it's all about money.

Well, the Premier League and Football League are different organisations and under no obligation to implement the same policies.

Promotion from the Championship could be interesting. The Football League might be keen for Leeds/West Brom to go up, but the Premier League could block it - or vice versa.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can live with games being played behind closed doors, if the players are ok doing that. Playing at neutral venues is absolutely ridiculous though, and shouldn't be entertained at all.

Frankly l just want football to start being played again, if it means doing it behind closed doors for a while, then so be it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No promotions. No relegation. Like the Eredivisie, for example.

Well, the Premier League and Football League are different organisations and under no obligation to implement the same policies.

Promotion from the Championship could be interesting. The Football League might be keen for Leeds/West Brom to go up, but the Premier League could block it - or vice versa.

Noooo. The football league have waged a two-decade conspiracy to KEEP the Leeds United, in their competition, because they are such a massive draw, to crowds and TV execs.

According to Leeds fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports