Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex hotel proposal will be decided at BHCC Planning Committee 17th February

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just 3 public objections and they turn it down.

More lunacy from Brighton and Hove planning.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Seems obvious to me, subject to LDC planning, and there is the rub I suspect.

Do LDC still have that horrid woman (De Vecci ?). The one who's application for solar panels a lot of us objected to purely to be vexatious.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think it would be better placed in the North-East corner of Bennetts Field looking back towards the AMEX. It would then be partly hidden by the trees and you would have the car park in the middle for both stadium and hotel. You would also still then have unobstructed views of our lovely stadium.

Seems obvious to me, subject to LDC planning, and there is the rub I suspect.

And the fact we have enough trouble keeping the permission we have to use that as a car park

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just 3 public objections and they turn it down.

More lunacy from Brighton and Hove planning.

Planning isn't like an X-Factor vote. I'm reminded of Norman Baker asking Lewes DC how many letters were needed to turn down a planning app he didn't like; one, if it makes a good point, was the answer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree on both counts. It was excruciating to watch and scary that such important decisions are made on the basis of almost no relevant knowledge and daft assumptions. Chair was always going to vote No.....was obvious she was against it as it stood. Much of the weight of the NOs argument seemed to be more down to how the club had handled it as well as the 'mediocre' design.

Which makes sense. There are procedures and approaches to take. Planning should be a collaborative effort from both sides. It seems to me the club steamed in, quite arrogantly, and got their fingers burnt. It's not a lost cause though; some pleasantries and a proper design will win out I'm sure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was in charge I'd be on the blower to Gehry saying "turn the mental up to 11"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Planning isn't like an X-Factor vote. I'm reminded of Norman Baker asking Lewes DC how many letters were needed to turn down a planning app he didn't like; one, if it makes a good point, was the answer.
Of course it's not on the red button, but this one is right up there with the worst in a long list of Brighton and Hove planning lunancy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Which makes sense. There are procedures and approaches to take. Planning should be a collaborative effort from both sides. It seems to me the club steamed in, quite arrogantly, and got their fingers burnt. It's not a lost cause though; some pleasantries and a proper design will win out I'm sure.

No evidence of arrogancy at all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course it's not on the red button, but this one is right up there with the worst in a long list of Brighton and Hove planning lunancy.

Why? The fact quite a number of Albion supporters are questioning the design should tell you something. From what I can tell the council have made the right decision. And let's not make this into too big a drama; most planning apps go back and forth. The hotel will be built....just in a better style.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why? The fact quite a number of Albion supporters are questioning the design should tell you something. From what I can tell the council have made the right decision. And let's not make this into too big a drama; most planning apps go back and forth. The hotel will be built....just in a better style.

Will it ?

It appears on the information out there that this is very uncertain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will it ?

It appears on the information out there that this is very uncertain.

I don't know for sure, obviously. But, its not been totally dismissed. It's been thrown out on design grounds mainly. That tells us something. I'm pretty certain if the club work with the council it will get built.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Guy with the German accent liked it, and voted yes, Tubby.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It looks like they didint want to undermine the Plannning officers however as a previous poster said keep working with the council as the NHS part would be fantastic and don't forget we have a Brillant Medical uni.in the Town I have always thought the North Stand was a cock up but the rest of the stadium is Great. The only thing that a want is an escalator to WSU otherwise I might have to relocate lower down.:nono:

It looks like they didint want to undermine the Plannning officers however as a previous poster said keep working with the council as the NHS part would be fantastic and don't forget we have a Brillant Medical uni.in the Town I have always thought the North Stand was a cock up but the rest of the stadium is Great. The only thing that a want is an escalator to WSU otherwise I might have to relocate lower down.:nono:

I think it came out at the yesterday's meeting that the radiogaraphy unit will not be run by the NHS.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why? The fact quite a number of Albion supporters are questioning the design should tell you something.
That tells me that Albion fans have different opinions. We already knew that.

I'm not particular for or against the application, but I do worry about some of the complaints. It seems they wanted it to be green, to soften it. That, IMO, would look crap. I'd think it matching the colour of the stadium would make more sense, seeing as you'll see the stadium in the background when you look at it. And they wanted it to be curved to match the hills and the AMEX. The curves work perfectly for the AMEX, because you see it with the rolling hills behind, and the stadium complements them, but you wouldn't have the same vista of the hotel. The part of the AMEX behind the hotel is linear, and a design complementing that is probably a better idea, but the councillors weren't interested in that, they wanted a mini AMEX.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here