Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex hotel proposal will be decided at BHCC Planning Committee 17th February

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think as many Labour voted for it as against it. 5 votes for, at least 2 were Labour, possibly 3, along with Cllr Theobald and another. Didn't go down party lines at all, although some people seem to want to present it as such.

I agree. I hadn't counted up properly when I had the urge to post. They are usually whipped to vote along whatever line their Party wants to happen, obviously this was a free vote. Just seen ROSM's post. I had a good friend who was a Councillor and on the planning Committee. He left because he couldn't vote with his own conscience but was whipped all the time.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
It's not going to take a huge amount of effort now to get this through at a second attempt. One abstention basically is the margin they have to shift. A chair on casting vote is highly unlikely to go against an officer recommendation.

So a bit of swallowed pride and some well timed humility on both sides and it will get through with just a few sensible tweaks/considerations

Some free BOOT'S stuff shoved though the letterbox of the sour taste bird will do it then:)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cllr Pete West - Green :nono:
Cllr Maggie Barradell - Labour Party :nono:
Cllr Adrian Morris - Labour Party :nono:
Chair Cllr Julie Cattell - Labour :nono:

Who was the 5th (presumably a Tory) who voted against?

Ironic that the majority voting against were Labour .... the very party Martin Perry stood for in the last local elections. I wonder if this was their revenge for him not winning the seat for them ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can't believe someone on a Planning Committee didn't know that the term for a plan of the facade is an elevation plan.

WTF, more training days needed and for them to pay attention.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Ironic that the majority voting against were Labour .... the very party Martin Perry stood for in the last local elections. I wonder if this was their revenge for him not winning the seat for them ?

I would suggest the chair would be voting entirely in line with her statutory limits. Its a bit like a mayor (or in parliament terms the speaker) won't vote against a ruling party in a no confidence vote

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The majority of the committee is Labour. I think 2 or possibly 3 of them voted for the application, with 2 conservatives making the committee vote 5-5. Generally a chair will always go with officer recommendation when it comes down to a deciding vote.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I would suggest the chair would be voting entirely in line with her statutory limits. Its a bit like a mayor (or in parliament terms the speaker) won't vote against a ruling party in a no confidence vote

The stuttering Chair looked out of her depth - [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] could have done better and he ain't very well at the moment:down:

The previous regime never got itself into a situation where the City Council's planners took a stance that came as a surprise to the Club.

What's caused this breakdown in communications?

I think the planning officer covered this pretty well during this afternoon's committee meeting.

And at the last minute, BHA concedes on the S106 payments but tries to impose payment conditions. What on earth were Stallards & Perry thinking this would achieve.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The majority of the committee is Labour. I think 2 or possibly 3 of them voted for the application, with 2 conservatives making the committee vote 5-5. Generally a chair will always go with officer recommendation when it comes down to a deciding vote.

If one is going to be pedantic (necessary here, I think), half the committee is Labour.

The committee set up is six Labour, four Tory, two Green.

For some reason, today's committee was six Labour, five Tory, one Green.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I hope it stays rectilinear, rather than curvaceous, albeit with a more mid century modern look than the present rejected design. Curves are for squares.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
If one is going to be pedantic (necessary here, I think), half the committee is Labour.

If the green couldn't attend they can name an alternate. If nobody from their own party is available/suitable they and they are an opposition party, they will turn to another opposition party to provide the alternate

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If the green couldn't attend they can name an alternate. If nobody from their own party is available/suitable they and they are an opposition party, they will turn to another opposition party to provide the alternate

OK. Do you know if the alternate has to vote as a proxy for the councillor who can't attend? In this case, I would imagine that a Green would likely vote against (as did his fellow Green) and that a Tory would likely vote in favour if it's a free vote. Do you know which Tory wouldn't have been on the committee if the Green had been able to attend?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

12 people yet only 11 votes (well 10 votes and 1 abstain)?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

There appeared to be 12 councillors speaking (looking at the 'speaker' log on the webcast).

It looked like there was a 5-5 vote plus one absention. Then the chair voted.

That's what appeared to be the case.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
OK. Do you know if the alternate has to vote as a proxy for the councillor who can't attend? In this case, I would imagine that a Green would likely vote against (as did his fellow Green) and that a Tory would likely vote in favour if it's a free vote. Do you know which Tory wouldn't have been on the committee if the Green had been able to attend?

I think from memory it's phelim mcafferty who is the other green who wasn't there today.

His alternate has to vote on the facts based on their judgement, not based on how the person their debuting for would have voted.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

Chair doesn't vote necessarily I think. So it seems it was 5 all based on the eleven committee members less the chair and the chair then had her 'casting' vote

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It looked like there was a 5-5 vote plus one absention. Then the chair voted.

That's what appeared to be the case.
I thought the chair was 1 of the 5 that voted no, and then her vote counted double as it was a tie, but I guess that could be wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here