Amex hotel proposal will be decided at BHCC Planning Committee 17th February

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
Potentially yes, but it also seems that half the councillors thought that rejecting it over that would be ridiculous, that it should be about the design, not whether it leaves 'a sour taste'

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Even that's subjective. Some councillors didn't think so.

Interestingly, there was no party line. Labour and Tory councillors voted for and against the application.

Cllr Pete West - Green
grayno.gif

Cllr Maggie Barradell - Labour Party
grayno.gif

Cllr Adrian Morris - Labour Party
grayno.gif

Chair Cllr Julie Cattell - Labour
grayno.gif

Who was the 5th (presumably a Tory) who voted against?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's a positive result.

It'll go back in with many of the issues addressed and fly through.

I agree. You could see that as a positive result that 5 councillors are already in support of it. Doesn't sound any real issues with the height, size of the building, they just need to pimp it up a bit. I'd throw some green walls at it personally, maybe a green roof - that would soften all the opinion on the views. Maybe add some curves to the parapet details. Reckon you could sort this out without any increase to the build budget as well.
two-seasons-hotel-with-green-roof.jpg

dezeen_oasis-of-aboukir-Patrick-White_sq_1.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well, taking off my Albion hat off does anyone agree that the club have been a little arrogant over the lack of want on going a slight re design and their situation over the 106, which is what I believe that lost the vote.
Do you know the reasons why a redesign or flexibility over the 106 were not possible / viable ? ???

How do you know it is arrogance ? ???

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree. You could see that as a positive result that 5 councillors are already in support of it. Doesn't sound any real issues with the height, size of the building, they just need to pimp it up a bit. I'd throw some green walls at it personally, maybe a green roof - that would soften all the opinion on the views. Maybe add some curves to the parapet details. Reckon you could sort this out without any increase to the build budget as well.
two-seasons-hotel-with-green-roof.jpg

dezeen_oasis-of-aboukir-Patrick-White_sq_1.jpg

Quick, get down to the council now and pass these about. They could reverse the decision before they go home.

:clap:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It kinda makes me glad I don't live within the jurisdiction of BHCC, I don't think they could organise a bun fight in Kiplings.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If the design was anything but bland, the building would stand out like a sore thumb next to the stadium. It's design goes some way to hiding it. Obviously the people that voted for the refusal were not involved in voting for the Bedford Hotel, Kingswest the new Marina blocks, some of both University buildings and accommodation blocks the list of the crap from the various planing committees goes on and on.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Basically it got kicked out because it looks rubbish next to the stadium. If it had one ounceof the flair of the AMEX itself it would have gone through.

How does it look rubbish next to the stadium? Somewhere a few pages back, there are two photographs of the stadium with and without the hotel, and as one councillor said, you would have difficulty being able to tell the difference.

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
The chair said the council had been labelled 'feisty', more like amateur. Whatever you think about the decision, it did seem that there were a number of councillors who had either no idea what was going on, or are just incompetent on a permanent basis.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I actually thought he gave very well reasoned arguments as to why it should be refused. He also said that he could see it being passed when it comes back.
How odd that he knows it is coming back, and if it does that it'll be approved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports