Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex hotel proposal will be decided at BHCC Planning Committee 17th February

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The previous regime never got itself into a situation where the City Council's planners took a stance that came as a surprise to the Club.

What's caused this breakdown in communications?

I thought Martin Perry was staying on to lead on the hotel development? In which case it's the same lead person our side.

Perhaps B&HCC have got a new posho planner from LDC who wants a bit of revenge!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did laugh at the comments...

tony2griff 9:08am Tue 9 Feb 16
What part of Lewes can you see the Amex from?

Replying tony2griff 10:07am Tue 9 Feb 16
If you mountain climb up the cliff just south of the cuilfail tunnel, you can just about see the Amex. In the distance. If you climb up a tree. On a very clear day. If you have very good eyesight. And a very good pair of binoculars. Many an hour I've spent doing just that.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Blimey! Just for once I actually agree with Councillor Morgan. Interesting to note in his comments he mentioned the new arena at Black Rock. Is this project still on or about to be resurrected?

Only one thing concerns me - and perhaps [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] can advise.

It is prudent for the leader of the council - someone who doesn't sit on the planning committee - to make public comments about a planning application. Is it considered prejudicial? What are the protocols here?

Only one thing concerns me - and perhaps [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] can advise.

It is prudent for the leader of the council - someone who doesn't sit on the planning committee - to make public comments about a planning application. Is it considered prejudicial? What are the protocols here?

I'm sure the protocols are written down and readily accessible to all councillors. The Planning Committee plays a quasi-judicial role and is required to comply with planning law, irrespective of the personal views of its members. This will include taking due account of the evidence that is formally presented to it. The Leader of the Council isn't a member of the Planning Committee and his views should count for nothing as far as the decision is concerned. There's a sense in which the views of the Public carry very little weight in a planning decision. As I understand the law, the requirement is that an applicant is required to submit a formal application, and the local planning authority needs to consider it, but - as long as the application complies with planning law and published planning policy - there is an obligation on the local planning authority to grant planning permission.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Blimey! Just for once I actually agree with Councillor Morgan. Interesting to note in his comments he mentioned the new arena at Black Rock. Is this project still on or about to be resurrected?

The draft city plan includes proposals to extend Churchill Square down to the seafront to include a hotel and more retail outlets. The facilities at the Brighton Centre will be moved to a new conference centre at Black Rock.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I hadn't realised Aloft was a Starwood brand (must pay more attention!) Starwood is currently a major partner for Amex so the ties are strengthened still further. Whatever next?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The draft city plan includes proposals to extend Churchill Square down to the seafront to include a hotel and more retail outlets. The facilities at the Brighton Centre will be moved to a new conference centre at Black Rock.

Another stupid local planning idea. And proposed on the watch of the Greens. Brighton Centre has excellent links by bus, train, foot and town centre parking. Black Rock has - oh, wait a minute.....

......... As I understand the law, the requirement is that an applicant is required to submit a formal application, and the local planning authority needs to consider it, but - as long as the application complies with planning law and published planning policy - there is an obligation on the local planning authority to grant planning permission.

And anyone reading the planning officer's report will see that they don't think it does and why. Seemingly not taking on board Councillors' pre-application comments/requests/suggestions on the design and then, more or less, showing two fingers to a couple of fairly standard S106 commitments didn't really leave the officer(s) with any choice. If the recommendation to reject came as a surprise to BHA then whoever is managing the project clearly hasn't been.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Another stupid local planning idea. And proposed on the watch of the Greens. Brighton Centre has excellent links by bus, train, foot and town centre parking. Black Rock has - oh, wait a minute.....

I'm sure I remember the black rock idea has been going on years before the greens had any influence at all.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Another stupid post criticising the greens for no reason. The plan to stretch Churchill square to the seafront and tear down the centre and set up an arena/facility at black rock has been around for over 10 years!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And anyone reading the planning officer's report will see that they don't think it does and why. Seemingly not taking on board Councillors' pre-application comments/requests/suggestions on the design and then, more or less, showing two fingers to a couple of fairly standard S106 commitments didn't really leave the officer(s) with any choice. If the recommendation to reject came as a surprise to BHA then whoever is managing the project clearly hasn't been.

Many developers in the town dealing with Brighton's planning dept. programme in an appeal from the outset of a project. BHA may well have foreseen this, and to get what they need, they've already assumed a refusal and have planned for an appeal to the planning inspectorate. Brighton's planning dept. has a completely no risk approach to granting permission, if there is the slightest controversy they refuse and basically leave it out of their hands to an appeal inspector. I don't have figures to hand, but they lose a large number of appeals compared to national averages - it must cost the tax payer a small fortune.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another stupid post criticising the greens for no reason. The plan to stretch Churchill square to the seafront and tear down the centre and set up an arena/facility at black rock has been around for over 10 years!

Certainly has. I did some work for the Brighton Centre about seven years ago and the management there were fully aware that there were plans afoot to scrap the Centre.

At the time, there was still the possibility of knocking the Centre down and rebuilding it in its present spot but there also discussions about moving it elsewhere. And this was all some time before the Greens had any sort of control of the council

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here