Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

Rather than going through the bother of expanding why not just announce an even more fictitious attendance after each game.

In fact Barber unlike him is missing a money squeezing opportunity here, a competition among fans where you have to pay £1 to win the chance of selecting the official attendance of your choice after each game

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barber has lost the plot.

He had programmes notes and/or an article on the website where he specifically mentioned ‘The Northern Lights’ lounge and the extra tier about a year or so ago.

Why pretend it wasn’t said and then blame it on the fans?

There were pretty detailed plans of the tier on the council website. What next? He’ll say that the North East Corner hospitality area was never a thing.

I’m extremely disappointed about this, it seemed like a done deal. They said they were going to increase the capacity to 32,500. This could put us in line for an England international match. Now all stopped.

I have no idea where you have ever got the impression that a 2nd tier in the North Stand (or anywhere else) is viable. It isn't. Literally, structurally, it isn't. I could explain in more detail, but its been done so many times before. At no point has Barber ever said this is do-able.

It isn't. Lets put this to bed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have no idea where you have ever got the impression that a 2nd tier in the North Stand (or anywhere else) is viable. It isn't. Literally, structurally, it isn't. I could explain in more detail, but its been done so many times before. At no point has Barber ever said this is do-able.

The planning application mentions seating for the "Northern Lights" inspired lounge, "will be cantilevered off the North Wall", maybe Barber should have told the architect that drew the plans for the club, that this was not possible. See posts #787 and the first attachment in the quoted text, and #792

I don't know if you want to say that is a shelf, rather than a tier, but it is extra seats, over the top of the existing seats in the North, which might at least help with your bewilderment at where people have ever got the idea that a 2nd tier is viable.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The planning application mentions seating for the "Northern Lights" inspired lounge, "will be cantilevered off the North Wall", maybe Barber should have told the architect that drew the plans for the club, that this was not possible. See posts #787 and the first attachment in the quoted text, and #792

I don't know if you want to say that is a shelf, rather than a tier, but it is extra seats, over the top of the existing seats in the North, which might at least help with your bewilderment at where people have ever got the idea that a 2nd tier is viable.

Then we're talking semantics over a "shelf" or a "tier".

I have no idea if a 'shelf' is viable, but it sounds unlikely. There is no room for a 2nd tier to be fitted in the north - that is fact. Its not the same as the East, which was pre-built with space for an upper concourse behind it, to accommodate that 2nd tier expansion. It was always planned. No such space for an upper concourse exists in the North.

I will happily bet my right bollock that there will NEVER be a 2nd tier in the North.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I have no idea if a 'shelf' is viable, but it sounds unlikely. There is no room for a 2nd tier to be fitted in the north - that is fact. Its not the same as the East, which was pre-built with space for an upper concourse behind it, to accommodate that 2nd tier expansion. It was always planned. No such space for an upper concourse exists in the North.

I will happily bet my right bollock that there will NEVER be a 2nd tier in the North.

As you say, semantics over shelf or tier. The plans show a "tier" of about 4 rows of seats, the description states they would be cantilevered off the North Wall, suggesting that it was structurally possible to do so, it describes a new entrance lobby and stairwell to reach the Lounge, which as far as I am concerned is a carpeted concourse with seating. Not happening anyway, so your right nut is safe for now, it is just annoying that Barber has made it sound like a crazy idea cooked up by fantasist Albion fans on social media, without acknowledging that there were plans from the club for additional seating over the top of existing seating in the North, which at least explain the origins of the rumour, even if he doesn't want to call it a "tier".

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
As you say, semantics over shelf or tier. The plans show a "tier" of about 4 rows of seats, the description states they would be cantilevered off the North Wall, suggesting that it was structurally possible to do so, it describes a new entrance lobby and stairwell to reach the Lounge, which as far as I am concerned is a carpeted concourse with seating. Not happening anyway, so your right nut is safe for now, it is just annoying that Barber has made it sound like a crazy idea cooked up by fantasist Albion fans on social media, without acknowledging that there were plans from the club for additional seating over the top of existing seating in the North, which at least explain the origins of the rumour, even if he doesn't want to call it a "tier".
Barber is a liar

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Planning Application reference number: BH2020/00769

This was approved 05/03/21. Below is the planning statement. It's online if you want to view it.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 08.36.16.png

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
No such space for an upper concourse exists in the North.

I don't think this statement is accurate. There are currently offices where the concourse was planned to go. The planning application was required to get approval for the change of use for this space, not to cover the internal structural changes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Planning Application reference number: BH2020/00769

This was approved 05/03/21. Below is the planning statement. It's online if you want to view it.

View attachment 146111

I don't think this statement is accurate. There are currently offices where the concourse was planned to go. The planning application was required to get approval for the change of use for this space, not to cover the internal structural changes.

I'll hopefully stand to be corrected then. But I'm certainly not expecting it to be a 2nd tier as such. More a shallow row of posh seats in front of a lounge.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

It may never happen but they could certainly build a shelf of seats above the current North seats in exactly the way they have in the South. There is lots of space above the North as it currently holds club offices etc where hospitality areas exist in the South stand.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It may never happen but they could certainly build a shelf of seats above the current North seats in exactly the way they have in the South. There is lots of space above the North as it currently holds club offices etc where hospitality areas exist in the South stand.

Yeah, that looks like what the plan is doesn't it. Certainly nothing like a proper 2nd tier hanging over the current one, there just isn't the room (the slanted roof doesn't help). It'll just be a few rows of seats outside the re-developed lounge behind them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, that looks like what the plan is doesn't it. Certainly nothing like a proper 2nd tier hanging over the current one, there just isn't the room (the slanted roof doesn't help). It'll just be a few rows of seats outside the re-developed lounge behind them.

So you reckon you can keep your right bollock then?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m pretty sure the club have already said it is impossible. Someone will be able to find the relevant link.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

Love it when someone thinks they are so right, yet they are so unbelievably wrong :lolol:

You must be new to the thread.

There have been at least 2 detailed plans of the new tier above the North Stand. It was meant to be 5 rows with 300+ seats. NSC did an article on it all when the plans were found (by me, I think). These were submitted to the council. Why would the club do this if it was a fan rumour? Just to muck us about?

Barber did an article at the time confirming this and he also said they were wanted to get the ground to 32,500. This expansion included a box in the North East corner (similar to that of the one in the South East corner) and the North Stand ‘tier’, which would have a lounge for fans (not a 1901) behind it. Yes, there is room. I did a mock up of it on this very thread. Did you think we just made it up? For some reason, that is what Barber is making out. He’s a liar and I find it all extremely strange.

I’m guessing the plans are still on the council site, it’s very easy to access if you want to check.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Love it when someone thinks they are so right, yet they are so unbelievably wrong :lolol:

You must be new to the thread.

There have been at least 2 detailed plans of the new tier above the North Stand. It was meant to be 5 rows with 300+ seats. NSC did an article on it all when the plans were found (by me, I think). These were submitted to the council. Why would the club do this if it was a fan rumour? Just to muck us about?

Barber did an article at the time confirming this and he also said they were wanted to get the ground to 32,500. This expansion included a box in the North East corner (similar to that of the one in the South East corner) and the North Stand ‘tier’, which would have a lounge for fans (not a 1901) behind it. Yes, there is room. I did a mock up of it on this very thread. Did you think we just made it up? For some reason, that is what Barber is making out. He’s a liar and I find it all extremely strange.

I’m guessing the plans are still on the council site, it’s very easy to access if you want to check.

5 rows of chairs in front of a lounge isn't really a "tier" though, is it. We're not talking about an overhanging job that could hold a few thousand fans - its just a handful of posh seats similar to the ones in front of the 1901.

I'd still be glad if it was built, don't get me wrong. The more the merrier, it would definitely be an improvement. But lets not stretch to it being a proper double-decker jobbie behind the goal. The stadium structure can't accommodate it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
5 rows of chairs in front of a lounge isn't really a "tier" though, is it. We're not talking about an overhanging job that could hold a few thousand fans - its just a handful of posh seats similar to the ones in front of the 1901..

The plan says "seating tier" on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here