Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex catering

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where the expression 'matchday experience' is constantly banded about, this is one major aspect of that which seems to be ignored or taken for granted with regards to the normal fan without access to the more salubrious dining areas.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well I have to say I found my beef and ale pie the best I have had this season loads of meat nice and hot nice gravy. Guest beer was good as well. I was served quickly with a smile. My wife had a chicken pie with a Guinness at half time and enjoyed that as well.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Well I have to say I found my beef and ale pie the best I have had this season loads of meat nice and hot nice gravy. Guest beer was good as well. I was served quickly with a smile. My wife had a chicken pie with a Guinness at half time and enjoyed that as well.

**** me I'm glad I'm not you.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Where the expression 'matchday experience' is constantly banded about, this is one major aspect of that which seems to be ignored or taken for granted with regards to the normal fan without access to the more salubrious dining areas.

If the Overpriced lounge is one of the "more salubrious dining areas" then I can report that last night it was understaffed, large queues, ran out of pies, lukewarm tea etc., etc.

Sound familiar?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
There was almost a riot on Thursday, at half time there was 3 tills closed and 100's of people queuing up and pissed off (partly because we had just conceded) that the sloooooooooooow workers wernt rushing to open the rest of the tills.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
To those who complain about the catering at the Amex, you should've been in the away end at Forest and tried to get a drink there - 4 staff for 2,000 punters!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To those who complain about the catering at the Amex, you should've been in the away end at Forest and tried to get a drink there - 4 staff for 2,000 punters!!

Forest was woeful and I did think, whilst in the half-time bundle to get a beer, how lucky we were in comparison.

But we're clearly aiming significantly higher than that and examples such as having no pies ready at half-time really aren't good enough, are they?

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill

3 of us managed to get several rounds in pretty easily, and even managed to get the boss down over a 'discussion point' about changing a £50 note (which was remedied quickly and with a smile). Whilst the pies were nuked to a point where the filling was still red hot 20 minutes later, overall much more user friendly than recent home experiences. Even the 'tip the bottle to avoid the plastic screen' issue.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
We had quite a funny one at half time in the Juice FM 1901 lounge; it was if the staff had gone on strike! Seriously, aside from a couple of bar staff there was no one around. It was a strange atmosphere. This wouldn't have been too much of a problem but, having just conceded the second goal and with no milk for teas/coffees and long queues at the bar, there were some seriously peeved punters. A lot of people fancy a half time brew so myself and two others took it upon ourselves to go into the kitchens and rummage in the fridges. Surprise surprise, there was no staff in there. Or milk.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
3 of us managed to get several rounds in pretty easily, and even managed to get the boss down over a 'discussion point' about changing a £50 note (which was remedied quickly and with a smile). Whilst the pies were nuked to a point where the filling was still red hot 20 minutes later, overall much more user friendly than recent home experiences. Even the 'tip the bottle to avoid the plastic screen' issue.

The old style £50 notes are no longer legal tender but we still haven't been briefed about it at work even though they were withdrawn at the end of April.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Same in WSU central. Not a single pie available at the beginning of half-time.

I've given up caring and moaning now.

I have to moan, I'm over 50 and it's the law!

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The staff are sent a text asking if they can work usually two weeks in advance, to give enough time to plan around work. Most of the staff are students at University so having less than a weeks notice on a Thursday night can put a lot of the staff off, maybe that is why they were understaffed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even better was the pies not ready in the East Stand Kiosk "for at least 5 minutes" at half time, given this was now 8.32, when did they expect half time to be?

Same in WSU central. Not a single pie available at the beginning of half-time.

The catering manager needs to be hauled in front of the Albion board and the point stressed that such basic stupidity is having a direct impact on the Albion's bottom line and that any repetition will cost the catering company its contract.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The catering manager needs to be hauled in front of the Albion board and the point stressed that such basic stupidity is having a direct impact on the Albion's bottom line and that any repetition will cost the catering company its contract.
I sent Paul Barber an email suggesting he read this thread and received a reply which I cant post cos I dont know how. Basically he said the caterers had ample stock but Thursday was the busiest any of the concourses have been and the takings were by far the heighest ever, so running out of stock was regretable but unavoidable. The catering operation like every department will be looked at during the close season. They were his words not mine just passing on the info.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In the North last night I felt a bit sorry for the lad who was first day on the job. Very capable supervisor girl reels him off a list of instructions along the lines of 'OK We've got two special pies tonight, Balti and Chill. Make sure they get the right one'. (The pies had G/B and G/C written on them). And also 'OK, customer has asked for a pint of Kronenbourg' and pours the pint herself. Then says 'OK, prices and pictures are on the till. Customer is paying with cash. He's given you ten pounds. Amount given will show. Amount of change due will show. OK, give him 3 pounds change.' Very capable supervisor girl does all the till stuff then hands new lad the change to give to me. It was horrible to be part of. Can't knock either of these kids, they're both doing their best, but there's no way either of them should be subject to the severe stresses and strains of trying to cope with the catering demands of a 30,000 crowd in a hurry. Fault lies with the wise guys with the catering franchise. They can provide a very decent level of experienced catering staff at, say, horse racing, why can't they do it at football? Club might save thruppence on the catering contract, but they'll lose countless thousands through the tills. How come the only catering company most people agreed did a good job were the emergency ones who came in halfway through Amex season 2 and hit the ground running. How come they weren't awarded the contract the following season? ???

That's shocking, in WSU we can't get Kronenberg from the same outlet as pies!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here