Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Catering reached a shocking unacceptable low yesterday-Club please read

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
FWIW, the East Stand is NOT the "Family Stand" as some seem to think. There is a small section in there that is the family area, but the rest of us are no different to those fans in the West & North.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I must admit I am one of the people who has slowly given up on the Amex Catering.

I do love the pies, and a cheeky pint at the game; however the queue's are mad sometimes in the North.

Can still get a pint of Harveys from the stand alone thingamabobs tho so not all bad.

Totally agree with US assessment of things, purely from a financial point if nothing else. You only need to go somewhere like Twickenham (OK I appreciate totally different kettle of fish in terms of staduim size) however their food and beer concessions run like clockwork, and the toilets are way better organised.

Surely a bit of money spent on some sort of expert to help sort all this out is well spent? If we can increase revenue taken on match days then its a win win situation.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
They need to put BURGER VANS outside!

Reading do this and it works a treat. Came out at half time bought a pie and a pint (from the concourse) which I consumed along with smoking two cigarettes outside and got back in for the start of the second half.

WSL service has improved since the start of the season although I only use the mobile Harveys stalls or the little kiosks. Yesterday I got to the refreshments bar just before the half time whistle and queued for over 10 minutes for two "instant" coffees. I will take a flask next time. Better coffee, cheaper and no queuing.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have to say just about any stadium you go to there will be a wait, in my experiences The Amex has not been to bad apart from half time, but in fairness to expect anyone to cater and serve god knows how many in 15 minutes and keep it viable is probably impossible.

Also it does come down to some peoples expectations as to what is acceptable and what is not, I will say I do agree with Gareths comments about some of the staff being very inexperienced and by now you would expect them to have at least gained some experience, I fear because of the nature of the job and the hours, it quite likely has quite a high turnover of staff thus resulting in some inexperience being there pretty much most of the time.

I have been to most football grounds around the country at some point in my life and in all honesty none are brilliant and all are over priced, hence why we dont really worry about it to much, we do have a beer before the games and always after, but i have given up at half time (even I can wait an about 2 hours for my next drink :) ) But I take the point about the club losing revenue, I guess it will always be a difficult one for the club as i am sure it is at most clubs, I do agree with the "snake" idea whoever said that a few posts ago, it does work VERY well at the Millenium Stadium.

I hope your e mail has some positive effect Gareth :thumbsup: my money is on a reply of something like.............."We will pass on your comments" :lol:

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Anyone would think Micky Adams was in charge of the catering as I can't decide whether it's disorganised, complacent or useless - although I suspect its a bit of all three!

We've given up queuing for pies in WSL (the service is painfully slow and they have usually sold out by the time we are served) so now we tend to just use the mobile Harvey's bars for a pint before the game. Yesterday we tried Dick's bar before the game the for first time and to my surprise it was as bad as WSL - the bar staff didn't seem well trained in working behind a busy bar, there was no Harvey's and it wasn't until they had completely run out of pies at just before 2.30 that anyone thought about heating up some more which ensured that there would be plenty of pies available once people had already started to leave the bar to get to their seats!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I had a couple of moans to my mate at half time about the catering problems before and just before halftime the match. I then felt like a twat and remembered sitting in the rain this time last year without booze and a crappy hot'dog'.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had a couple of moans to my mate at half time about the catering problems before and just before halftime the match. I then felt like a twat and remembered sitting in the rain this time last year without booze and a crappy hot'dog'.

I accept your points but were are not at the Withdean anymore. The club has moved to a different level with premiership aspirations and that should incorporate every aspect of the Amex.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
I am in the East Stand, always arrive early (this being key at present) and the only difficulty I have experienced is new staff finding their feet.

Yesterday I was amongst the first in and had a choice of four tills to go to - all the staff were new faces and it did take them a little longer than nomal to understand what I wanted and the till and swipe card procedure. I kindly informed the guy that today would be a steep learning curve as the mob coming later will not all be patient. In general, I have learnt not to attempt the kiosks at half time and do not leave my seat for the toilet unless totally desparate (or if one of my children are unable to hold on).

TBH if the pies were not so tantamount I would probably eat before hand but they have thus far also featured as part of my families matchday enjoyment and obviously for loads of others too. Also, I drive up from Dorset and as such alcohol is not normally on my agenda but again this is part of loads of peoples day out plan. I guess at present the Amex is struggling to cope with its own success.

I am not sure what positive or constuctive feedback we can give the club as it is not our speciality area (facilities/hospitality/catering to the masses) but I am sure (hope) that the issues are on the agenda. I have attended lots of Stadium sporting events (82,000 punters) and so far my Amex experience is not too disimilar so wonder whether us punters have to change our expectations!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I accept your points but were are not at the Withdean anymore. The club has moved to a different level with premiership aspirations and that should incorporate every aspect of the Amex.

And I'm sure it will. What do you expect the albion to do while the vendors are in contract? I bet they're meeting most of the tender spec with little failings. Do you think the execs think it's all fine or do you think they have regular meetings and iron out these problems?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And I'm sure it will. What do you expect the albion to do while the vendors are in contract? I bet they're meeting most of the tender spec with little failings. Do you think the execs think it's all fine or do you think they have regular meetings and iron out these problems?

Neither of us know.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
OK . . . . so a tinpot business like B&HA will just let it all pass then and not monitor it closely.

Who knows what gos on behind the scenes ? In any case if they do meet up for meetings and monitor it, it is not working.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
People feel free to take the piss, its what we do best on here. I have offered my experience and that of lots of others and offering sensible , well thought out suggestions to the problem. If there were 20 burger bars at the station, it would have a major impact.

It certainly would. Nobody would be able to get out of the station & folk would be falling under trains! :wink:

Actually Unc, I'm pretty much in complete agreement with your view of the catering shambles. The club should pay top Dollar for more experienced, efficient catering staff (particularly Managers) to get the queues moving. As I see it, if you pay peanuts - you get Chimps (or worse still, absolutely nobody behind the counters at all). They could do much worse than to get the women who served on the Roach Coaches at Withers. At least they were quality (which, admittedly, was more you can say for the stuff they served).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
In West Stand Upper - the pie was excellent and hard;ly suprisingly it was the last one available

but it was 2.45

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The thing that above all will make the caterers get their act together is if they think they will lose the contract (presumably they are tied in for a bit).

I know for a fact that the potential at Brighton, with some of the early indicators this season, has impressed other big stadium catering groups. They will be sniffing about, and for fans and service levels competition should be good in this regard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here