Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Americans Don't Know Why They Celebrate 4th of July!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Having seen a video of Americans unable to find the USA on a map...my favourite being a member of the public who decided it must be Africa as it looks the biggest...im not surprised.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't mind betting there are as many ignorant, badly educated people in this country as there are in the USA.

There is still a significant rump of kids who arrive at secondary school unable to read. And not just in inner cities either.

Dec 15, 2014
Here

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had a lovely weekend in Rhode Island last week, most buildings a good couple of hundred years older than anything in brighton, where we were.
The oldest building in Brighton is about 1100 AD, so most buildings in Rhode Island are a couple of hundred years older than that?
Agreed, but what is the average age of the buildings in Rhode Island? There's over a million people living there now, more than double the population of 1900, so I'd guess that the average property there is newer than 1900. Ignoring the average for a minute, I'm sure there are plenty of old houses there - I'd be interested to know what sort of age, and how many there are. I imagine they have many more pre 1800 buildings than we do. But we do have some very old ones. St Andrew's Church on Church Road in Hove is about 12th century, and St Nicholas' Church near the clock tower is mid 1300s. There are a few other old churches too I think. Hangleton Manor pub is 15th century, the main part of which was rebuilt in the 16th century. I think there are a few old 16th and 17th century buildings in the lanes. Has Rhodes Island really got a shed load of buildings 200 years older than all of that lot?
By the lack of reply, I guess The Spanish was just talking nonsense then.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They sell loads for a while and then the novelty of the new burger wears off.

BTW, Carl Jr's is Hardees. It depends on what part of the states you live as to what name is used,

http://www.hardees.com/

http://www.carlsjr.com/

Wow, I've been going to the states regularly on and off for the past 18 years and I've never heard of Hardees. Anyway I really like Carl's Jnr burgers, I was actually buying a six dollar burger when I saw this grotesque monster for the 4th of July.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Wow, I've been going to the states regularly on and off for the past 18 years and I've never heard of Hardees. Anyway I really like Carl's Jnr burgers, I was actually buying a six dollar burger when I saw this grotesque monster for the 4th of July.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardee's

Hardee's Food Systems, Inc., is an American fast-food restaurant chain, which predominantly operates in the Southern and Midwestern states. It has evolved through several corporate ownerships since its establishment in 1960. It is now owned and operated by CKE Restaurants, the parent company of Carl's Jr., which is slowly amalgamating the chains.

In 2012, Nation's Restaurant News rated Hardee's as the #28 foodservice chain in the United States based on sales through 2011. Carl's Jr. was listed at #37. If the two chains sales were combined, they would have been at #15.[2] In 2013, QSR listed Hardee's at #20 and Carl's Jr. at #24; if combined they would have been listed at #14.[3]

It seems CKE Restaurants which is the owner of Carl's Jr bought Hardees and has been slowly changing them into the same restaurants that are Carl's Jr (wiki called it amalgamating).

The other detectives tell me there are some Carl's Jr in the Chicago area but there are mostly Hardees.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here