Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American mass shootings

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Ts & Ps. Wouldn't have happened I they'd armed all the mushroom farmers (isn't that how it goes?)

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So we are less than 3 weeks in to the new year and the latest is the 39th mass shooting in just 24 days, according to Gun Violence Archive.

39 incidents where 4 or more have been shot.

Totals for the year so far (TWENTY THREE Days and a couple of hours) of gun violence

2801 people Dead
2134 injured
21 Dead children aged 11 or under
99 Teenagers Dead

The website above has a " past 72 hours" of shooting incidents it runs to TWELVE pages of 22 incidents a page

The numbers are staggering, at the current rate over 45 500 dead by the end of the year

Thats one and a half times the capacity of the AMEX,

And yet its barley even news anymore, no one is surprised, and whats more, no one is surprised that no one is surprised.

I can not think of a more damming indicment of a broken country than the fact that no one cares about the mass slaughter of so many children

All this from the self proclaimed "Greatest Country in the World"

People on here say its because there isnt the political will to do anything about it- that is wrong, it becomes the Political will when the popular will is there. IF the American people really wanted to do something about it they would

The fact that this goes on getting worse year after year and the "Thoughts and Prayers" is the only thing to comeout of it tells us all we need to know about the public and political will for change-there isnt any

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I am still delighted that my reaction whenever I see police etc with ACTUAL guns is (at 36) is still one of feeling slightly odd. It's a killing machine.

If I lost that feeling of "oh blimey, guns" then I'd be worried. I want the human element to always realise they are MENTAL things.

Like mentioned above, the concept of just BUYING ONE is unfathomable

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
215 mass shootings in the USA this month alone (and we've still got a week to go).

NB. This is based on a mass shooting being one in which 4 or more people are shot.

There are 2 or 3 per week but most don't make international news. Under the definition that a mass shooting is 2 or more I think there were around 200 last year in the US. I haven't verified the number though.
There's quite a discrepancy between these figures.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Make them insure themselves and their weapons.

Anyone then caught without gun insurance, confiscate their weapons and heavily fine them.
I would imagine the insurance companies would love a slice of that pot, and would insist on a very high premium. Eventually, they would not be able to afford to keep their lethal toys.
I don't spend time looking for a solution to their problem, but that sounds like a sensible way forward.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
And if the guns are used in a shooting, then the insurers have to pay out a set fee. However many million dollars per death, etc. This forces the sensible gun owners (?) to properly secure their weapons from being stolen / used without permission.

Massive fine if you have no insurance, and for new purchases, you have to have insurance before you buy a gun.

Insurance would be insanely expensive, given the risk insurers would be taken, so new sales would diminish rapidly. It would be crazy hard to audit / enforce the insurance part.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And if the guns are used in a shooting, then the insurers have to pay out a set fee. However many million dollars per death, etc. This forces the sensible gun owners (?) to properly secure their weapons from being stolen / used without permission.

Massive fine if you have no insurance, and for new purchases, you have to have insurance before you buy a gun.

Insurance would be insanely expensive, given the risk insurers would be taken, so new sales would diminish rapidly. It would be crazy hard to audit / enforce the insurance part.
If they won't take far simpler more straightforward steps than this, then I'm afraid I can't see this working. It's simply that some very powerful people in the USA value their right to sell and carry guns over the lives of innocent children. And it appears that they have enough money and power to 'persuade' sufficient terminally naïve and stupid voters to support them :shrug:

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Why buy one when you can take one with you to get a burger?

1200x0.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As a friendly reminder, not all of us in America are gun-toting whack jobs. A majority of Americans support better and sensible (at least compared to current state) gun legislation, but those against it fund a lobby strong enough to fight any attempts to implement any of that legislation.
Democracy in action. It's so sad.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As a friendly reminder, not all of us in America are gun-toting whack jobs. A majority of Americans support better and sensible (at least compared to current state) gun legislation, but those against it fund a lobby strong enough to fight any attempts to implement any of that legislation.
Which is why you’re basically *ucked. No amount of rational debate, applied logic, sense, or even legislation, will undo an ingrained culture that’s centuries old. Good luck, hope you and yours remain safe. As an aside, and I can speak for several friends too, I won’t travel to States anymore as a holiday destination because of gun violence. And Policing. And Trump. Well at least he’s no longer in power….oh, hang on a sec…

It’s like the States needs a new PR agency because the last decade has been astronomically bad-for in the International press.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Which is why you’re basically *ucked. No amount of rational debate, applied logic, sense, or even legislation, will undo an ingrained culture that’s centuries old. Good luck, hope you and yours remain safe. As an aside, and I can speak for several friends too, I won’t travel to States anymore as a holiday destination because of gun violence. And Policing. And Trump. Well at least he’s no longer in power….oh, hang on a sec…

It’s like the States needs a new PR agency because the last decade has been astronomically bad-for in the International press.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I worked in NY state for a few months in 1992 (near White Plains). I had a gun pointed at me twice: once by a security guard who burst into my company owned house ( on campus) because my visiting girlfriend pulled the panic cord (I didn't even know it was 🤷‍♂️) instead of the light switch, and the guard assumed I was the intruder 🤦‍♂️. Secondly, with some work colleagues, our car broke down and we approached the only nearby place that might have a phone to call the hotel...the garage owner assumed we were going to rob him (!!!!) pushed HIS panic button and two minutes later two cops jumped out of a squad car and pointed guns at our heads. One false move and you're done...
It's woven into their society too deeply...if in doubt point a gun FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here