Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ambitious summer Transfer Window.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have seen this posted on both Facebook and Twitter, neither has any actual quotes or footage from Tony Bloom.

Can anyone shed any light on this or should we just file it under click bait?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we’re only 3 or 4 players away from a top four squad.

Replacing Fati, Milner and Lallana will be key. Perhaps a new right back who can stay fit, a left footed centre back and definitely a left footed right winger and central midfielder.

We could spend £200m+ if we had to and not worry about FFP. But I’m predicting a net break even window this time.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
For the first time in a few years I’m confident we won’t sell anyone. So I guess by default that makes it more ambitious than the last few years.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I think we’re only 3 or 4 players away from a top four squad.

Replacing Fati, Milner and Lallana will be key. Perhaps a new right back who can stay fit, a left footed centre back and definitely a left footed right winger and central midfielder.

We could spend £200m+ if we had to and not worry about FFP. But I’m predicting a net break even window this time.
Out of all those I’d agree with the centre Mid and perhaps RB, the rest we don’t need IMO. I could see us loaning Fati for another season.

Big decision is up top and keeper, is Evan’s form just a blip or more worrying and does RDZ believe Bart is the one?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As an aside (and with reference to the Sam Jewell affair), it is interesting to see how our recruiting has just got SO much better even in the last five years. That article mentions we paid £15m for Locadia in January 2018, and he's now remembered alongside Andone, Tau and Jahanbakhsh as an expensive flop from those days. I'm struggling to think of anybody recently in the last three years or so in that category. We've had flops, (Dahoud for example but he was a free), and players who maybe won't make the grade (Sima, perhaps), but no big-money signing where we thought "Yeah, he sounds just what we need!" who then went on to become the new Leon Best.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
For the first time in a few years I’m confident we won’t sell anyone. So I guess by default that makes it more ambitious than the last few years.
I hope this is correct but it's impossible to rule out greedy agents and the behind the scenes activities of competitors tapping up our best players???

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Seems likely that the the club will have an advantage in the transfer market this summer, and if they do, they will take it. Less likely to see massive offers for our players, the trouble will be if clubs do what City did with Cucurella, unsettle them and then offer a low transfer fee, hoping the player will force the move through. I don't think many of our squad are too vulnerable to that, so long as De Zerbi is sticking around.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Out of all those I’d agree with the centre Mid and perhaps RB, the rest we don’t need IMO. I could see us loaning Fati for another season.

Big decision is up top and keeper, is Evan’s form just a blip or more worrying and does RDZ believe Bart is the one?
I'd really like to have Fati for another season, I think he'll be far more settled and up to speed, and could be a huge player for us. Some glimmer of hope with Barcelona's new wage ceiling being another €70m or so lower than it was this year - they are going to have to keep finding ways of reducing the wage bill. As with others, I can't see us being able to afford Ansu permanently, in terms of transfer fee or wages. But another year would be awesome if he's up for it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It comes from Alex Crook at TalkSport.

The club do seem to be well in with Crook and TalkSport generally...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can anyone shed any light on this or should we just file it under click bait?
My guess - and I admit it is only a guess, nothing more - is that it's clickbait. It's just reads like a longer version of some of the posts on NSC around the transfer window......"We need two oven ready PL FBs and a PL ready DM" etc., etc.

Will we suddenly start buying multiple oven-ready PL players (other than older players on a free)? We did it with Pervis, admittedly - but three at a time? I doubt it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But have the club actually said anything? I am yet to read any actual quotes.
Classic NSC. Sensible chap asks sensible question and we all pile in to comment on the implications of one possible answer to the question, without answering the question :lolol:

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Alex Crook has clearly got that information from somewhere near the club, and then the writer of the article has fluffed it out with conjecture. I suspect we will sign 2 max 3 "prem ready" players starting with KDH. Would be quite shocked if Adingra left. I suspect Mitoma is the only one we are really at risk of losing but he's 26 so won't get bids of £100m+ which may mean we keep him. I had a thought that perhaps this has been part of the transfer strategy all along, sell players for big money to make sure we are FFP and PSR compliant when lots of other clubs won't be. Swoop in and improve the squad with prem-ready players that won't cost as much because other clubs can't buy and the selling clubs need a certain amount to sort their PSR. Thus giving us the chance in a unique market to get ourselves into the top 5 maybe in 4. Even if RDZ leaves imagine the attraction we would be for a top, top coach. Exciting times...

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I have no idea on the source either.

However, is it likely that one of the best operators in world football, renowned for excellent negotiating skills and getting amazing players for comparative peanuts, would decide to blab his willingness (to pay top dollar) to anyone, ever, let alone a journalist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here