[Technology] Amazon Prime Tech stuff - watching experience

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Amazon stream was buffering a lot, it was my Internet connection that was slow. Seemed to slow down after Kane scored! Ended up using a dodgy stream instead and didn't get any buffering. Weirdly as soon as the game ended, my Internet speed went back to normal. Happened last time Amazon Prime streamed some games.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm watching Bournemouth v Arsenal/ Part scouting for Sat, part hoping for a crumb of comfort in the tin pots getting hammered and still having injuries. Arsenal all over them but not scoring. There is a ****ing drum.

Internet speed has not been great TBH and I think this is a problem with Amazon having Boxing Day rights. For the evening games the local broadband wasn't heavily used and one of my two kids was in bed. Today every **** is on the internet in every house in the country, and it shows.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Watched our game vs. Tottenham on a Dell laptop. Seemed fine, apart from everytime a Brighton player went near Harry Kane he appeared to fall over. :shrug:

I'll check my settings.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm watching Bournemouth v Arsenal/ Part scouting for Sat, part hoping for a crumb of comfort in the tin pots getting hammered and still having injuries. Arsenal all over them but not scoring. There is a ****ing drum.

Internet speed has not been great TBH and I think this is a problem with Amazon having Boxing Day rights. For the evening games the local broadband wasn't heavily used and one of my two kids was in bed. Today every **** is on the internet in every house in the country, and it shows.

......and of course it's 1-0 to Muff with their first shot on target. Arsenal really are shocking at the back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can’t get apple AirPlay to pick the football. Will do films etc, but not the footy!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How’s that going for you so far

Eh. The guys in the studio (including what sounds like John Hartson, Dion Dublin, Robbie Savage and Joe Cole?) don't really have the fun chemistry of Jeff and the boys. It's hard to really enjoy the football, seeing the highlights out of context of the matches and the overall "story" of each match. But it's also a low scoring, day so far, with not many exciting highlights to review.

EDIT: Not Joe Cole, Dennis what'shisname former chelsea, one of the people newcastles fans hates is advising mike ashley

EDIT2: Dennis Wise!

Last edited:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Eh. The guys in the studio (including what sounds like John Hartson, Dion Dublin, Robbie Savage and Joe Cole?) don't really have the fun chemistry of Jeff and the boys. It's hard to really enjoy the football, seeing the highlights out of context of the matches and the overall "story" of each match. But it's also a low scoring, day so far, with not many exciting highlights to review.

EDIT: Not Joe Cole, Dennis what'shisname former chelsea, one of the people newcastles fans hates is advising mike ashley

EDIT2: Dennis Wise!

Videprinter being ahead of the video removes some of the drama when they switch to a game with a goal!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My Amazon Prime is about 2 minutes behind the live action. Today I get a text from BBC sport telling me about a goal when it’s still 0-0 on my screen. Had to turn the phone off.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My Amazon Prime is about 2 minutes behind the live action. Today I get a text from BBC sport telling me about a goal when it’s still 0-0 on my screen. Had to turn the phone off.
Same here! How on earth can that even happen? Absolutely ridiculous. Got a text from a gooner saying well played and I had no idea what they were talking about until a minute or so later we scored. Then discovered we were two mins behind. What a complete shambles by Amazon. Absolute joke.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Same here! How on earth can that even happen? Absolutely ridiculous. Got a text from a gooner saying well played and I had no idea what they were talking about until a minute or so later we scored. Then discovered we were two mins behind. What a complete shambles by Amazon. Absolute joke.

I know - it was a dreadful feeling having to turn my mobile off for an hour!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

As I've mentioned before, TV is always behind the radio. It isn't unique to Amazon, it's just a little bit longer with them. I know when TV first started broadcasting in HD, the HD feed was always a couple of seconds behind SD.

I don't know how much broadcasting has changed since then, but as far as I'm aware, it used to be that the feed would go from the ground to the broadcast centre, standard definition would be broadcast, while the HD feed was being process, and then broadcast a few seconds later.

With amazon, I would imagine there is the added step of uploading the broadcast onto servers, and probably an added step in converting the file.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As I've mentioned before, TV is always behind the radio. It isn't unique to Amazon, it's just a little bit longer with them. I know when TV first started broadcasting in HD, the HD feed was always a couple of seconds behind SD.

I don't know how much broadcasting has changed since then, but as far as I'm aware, it used to be that the feed would go from the ground to the broadcast centre, standard definition would be broadcast, while the HD feed was being process, and then broadcast a few seconds later.

With amazon, I would imagine there is the added step of uploading the broadcast onto servers, and probably an added step in converting the file.

Cheers Acker, I never knew that. I’ll have to make sure all other commas are off next time.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Yes but how come some streaming services can operate without a ridiculous delay. Dazn for example is 20 seconds. Amazon said they would have a 15 second delay and havent delivered

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes but how come some streaming services can operate without a ridiculous delay. Dazn for example is 20 seconds. Amazon said they would have a 15 second delay and havent delivered

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

I don't know. I don't have any experience or knowledge of Dazn, is it as popular? I'd imagine you need to do more to provide a stable experience for a million customers than you would for a few thousand. I just googled it and I'm already irritated by dazn - apparantly it's pronounced 'da zone'. Urgh, that irritates me so much and I can't really explain why.

For me the difference between the dab radio broadcast and the video feed is 17 seconds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports