Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amazing analytics

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This does make me think that the short pass to a man near the corner taker, but forget from the goal line, might not be as pointless as it looks.
Exactly as the Stats suggest so you are right - However the corner to goal ratios are still very very low, regardless apparently:
  • certainly among Big 5, short corners are more effective - leading to 4% more goals.
  • Short corners now catching on in the premier league - almost fifth of corners are taken short - a decade ago, this was 1:10.

Re goal line - Stats also show
  • there is a higher chance of 2.7% scoring from an inswinging corner cf to 2.2% from outswinging - however, about 50% of in-swingers are cleared at the first attempt so there is a higher risk of not getting past the first man.
  • The proportion of corners being crossed directly in the PL has dropped by about 10% to 80%
  • BRIGHTON rank as the 3rd highest out-swinging corner takers (see attached image)
Conversion
  • An analysis of corner to goal ratio on a large sample of matches was done by a guy on reddit which concluded that while 4.74% of goals were scored from a play sequence that started from a from a corner, only 1.27% of corners directly led to a goal.
This season 2022/3 - number of corners taken by

Brighton = 108
Man City = 118
Arsenal = 96
Leicester = 73

I don’t know how many of these corners have led to goals (either directly or in someway connected) without going back on all the highlights because I cant find the corner to goal ratios for individual teams anywhere.

However, looking back at the highlights of our Home match against Leicester on 4th September, 2022,
we had 10 corner kicks and Lei had 1:
Out of 5 goals for us - none were converted from a corner
Out of 2 goals for Lei - none converted from corner

Stats taken from:

Attachments

• AD04735A-982C-480C-8721-6A5E0DE146BD.jpeg
    AD04735A-982C-480C-8721-6A5E0DE146BD.jpeg
    832.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Exactly as the Stats suggest so you are right - However the corner to goal ratios are still very very low, regardless apparently:
  • certainly among Big 5, short corners are more effective - leading to 4% more goals.
  • Short corners now catching on in the premier league - almost fifth of corners are taken short - a decade ago, this was 1:10.

Re goal line - Stats also show
  • there is a higher chance of 2.7% scoring from an inswinging corner cf to 2.2% from outswinging - however, about 50% of in-swingers are cleared at the first attempt so there is a higher risk of not getting past the first man.
  • The proportion of corners being crossed directly in the PL has dropped by about 10% to 80%
Conversion
  • An analysis of corner to goal ratio on a large sample of matches was done by a guy on reddit which concluded that while 4.74% of goals were scored from a play sequence that started from a from a corner, only 1.27% of corners directly led to a goal.
This season 2022/3 - number of corners taken by

Brighton = 108
Man City = 118
Arsenal = 96
Leicester = 73

I don’t know how many of these corners have led to goals (either directly or in someway connected) without going back on all the highlights because I cant find the corner to goal ratios for individual teams anywhere.

However, looking back at the highlights of our Home match against Leicester on 4th September, 2022,
we had 10 corner kicks and Lei had 1:
Out of 5 goals for us - none were converted from a corner
Out of 2 goals for Lei - none converted from corner

Stats taken from:

I've not watched any of the videos posted on this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned already, but isn't there some statistic to the effect that teams (in general) are just as likely to concede from their own corner as they are to score?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I've not watched any of the videos posted on this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned already, but isn't there some statistic to the effect that teams (in general) are just as likely to concede from their own corner as they are to score?
Cant find any specific stats on ratio of counter-attacking goals from a corners maybe someone else can?

- but this is a good analysis piece though on counter-attacking from corners

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
And this quote by Michael Caley for the Washington Post, which is now a very dated statistic

“Overall, compared with a scoring rate from corner kicks of about 3.5 percent, there is also a goals-conceded rate of about 0.4 percent. Add them together and you get an average value for a corner kick at about 0.03 goals.”

Jul 7, 2003
It would be interesting to see how much of that low scoring rate has come about since the crowding of goalkeepers has become the main thing teams do now.

It may be old age playing with my mind but I'm sure that more corners were scored when players used to run in to attack an outswinging corner. Having a run allows you to get away from your defender and also get a higher jump to win the header.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A side by side glance at our conversion rate percentage last season compared to this season.

FC10E92F-EAC7-45BA-9CF3-A8BB7600CE0B.jpeg

and so far this season:

843C3E88-0224-4690-B58A-E3412DD70766.jpeg

So far this season then our conversion percentage rate is nearly double the 2021/22 percentage

Our GD is better than Man United, better than Spurs, better than Liverpool and better than Chelsea putting us 4th in the PL behind Citeh, Newcastle and Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here