Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AM reception is crap and an absolute embarrassment

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Tried to listen to the match last night in the car driving down from Heathrow. The reception on 5-Live (or whatever it was) on AM is an absolute embarrassment. How the hell in 2012 can this country offer radio station reception like that? No better than it used to be listening to Radio Luxemburg all those years back.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Have just invested £125 on a DAB unit for my car (JVC DB42) along with fitment of a proper DAB car aerial. The aerial and fitment cost nearly double the cost of the unit itself but it means I can drive from home (Winchester) to the game and back with crystal clear Radio 5 and Radio Sussex (well in Sussex). It's buffered as well, so when I normally hit the Southwick Tunnel just as Gus is doing his press interview, I now miss only 10 seconds of it instead of the customary 30 seconds.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well, AM reception has never been anything but crap in any car I've driven. It's better away from the Southeast where there's less interference from continental Europe stations, but down in our corner of the country it is totally unacceptable.

In the USA they have loads of stations all on FM and reception always good as long as you're in range. Why the hell do we have to put up with this absolute joke of an excuse for radio reception?

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
5 live on the Island is so poor it is virtually useless. I have to switch between 693 and 909 continuously to be able to listen to anything.

We pay a TV license on the Island to the BBC should get a better signal than we do.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I find 5 live is fine around Brighton and in towns, but goes a bit funny when you drive under or next to power lines when in more rural areas. Don't know why it can't be an FM station though?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, AM reception has never been anything but crap in any car I've driven. It's better away from the Southeast where there's less interference from continental Europe stations, but down in our corner of the country it is totally unacceptable.

In the USA they have loads of stations all on FM and reception always good as long as you're in range. Why the hell do we have to put up with this absolute joke of an excuse for radio reception?

are you really having a bitch about 100year old technology? you've highlighted the main problem, longer range means interference. FM range is limited as a trade off for quality.

you could use DAB, isnt this issue what it was intended to address. but it's shit in cars too so they say.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't know why it can't be an FM station though?

theres the question. lack of room i expect, you'd have to drop one of the other BBCs to get full national coverage.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
My latest car came with DAB and it is the tits I have to say, I now even listen to FM stations on DAB.

On my previous car, AM got worse & worse until someone explained that the aerial was attached to the inside rear window around the rear window heater element, and having carefully cleaned it so no not to damage the heater, normal service was resumed.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Tried to listen to the match last night in the car driving down from Heathrow. The reception on 5-Live (or whatever it was) on AM is an absolute embarrassment. How the hell in 2012 can this country offer radio station reception like that? No better than it used to be listening to Radio Luxemburg all those years back.

Presume you were listening on 909, as if you had it on 693 (which I think is wavelength for Brighton area?), then will be poor reception? Never had a problem with 5 live and travel round country all the time (albeit having to switch between 909 and 693 depending where I am).

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
theres the question. lack of room i expect, you'd have to drop one of the other BBCs to get full national coverage.

There is a lack of space/willingness to give them an FM band thingy..
If you think of popularity of 5 live & talk sport & they aren't on FM, seems bit unfair.

ps little bit of trivia!! talk sport 1053/1089 frequency was the old frequency for radio 1 til they went FM in late 80's..
actually that is the most boring piece of trivia ever..i apologise

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
And I'd like to complain about the speed of computers. My Sinclair Spectrum takes ages to get going and it takes five days to load a single NSC page. It's 2012 for God's sake - what is this country coming to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here