Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sensible way would be to start Alzate and bring on March later in the game for his comeback from injury.???

March has only been out for a couple of weeks, I doubt he needs mollycoddling.

Opta's latest thing is 'Possession Value player' or some other such nonsense.
Anyhoo March is our key player.

That doesn't seem too surprising.

I just wish Potter knew how to make Solly a goal threat.

I fear if he can't do that, then Solly's entire career, as fantastic as it will be, will still have a 'what might have been' caveat.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I tweeted something about the dive after the Newcastle game, a tweet that also included reference to how well Alzate had played.

Most of the responses that came back were either abusive towards me/NSC or defending Alzate.

I really don't get the hypocrisy. It's cheating whoever does it, and I genuinely think this scourge on the game only has a chance of being remedied if fans call out their own players for attempting to cheat.

As long as fans get all hysterical about others doing it, but then turn a blind eye to their own players, then it's just going to continue.

Alzate already has a name as a diver. From where we were in the ground, 7th row of the lower tier, it wasn't obvious if he had so I whipped out my phone and took to twitter where it was evident it had been a dive. More than that though, there were a whole load of tweets along the lines of "every time I see this Alzate play he dives".

Clearly it's a small sample size, but that makes two from two now.

Albion fans can't have a go at Zaha when one of our own is so flagrant.

Totally agree. I'm a bit surprised that Potter didn't have a stern word after the Newcastle dive. I'm assuming he didn't or why would he have done the same thing in the next game?

He has been a revelation and is so very talented that he doesn't need to do it. I don't want one of our players getting the reputation for being a cheat. Hopefully the club has severely punished him and he won't dare do it again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sensible way would be to start Alzate and bring on March later in the game for his comeback from injury.???

Or go the other way, start the senior player at LWB and give Alzate the last half hour.

What we have got going for us is versatile players, so there are any number of permutations.

The keeper, the back 3, Stephens and highly likely Montoya are pencilled in. Propper will play CM if fit but if not ….

…We currently have 9 players (Bissouma, Mooy, March, Alzate, Connolly, Murray, Jahanbaksh, Gross, Maupay) going for 5 starting positions (at CM, LWB and the three forward positions).

The collective opinion of the fans would probably say that Ali J, Murray, Bissouma and Mooy should be the ones to miss out. I’m not sure Potter sees it like that though. I expect to see something I don’t expect at 11:30 on Saturday

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
No double standards from me, you won’t find a post from me having a go at Zaha about diving. I find the pearl clutching about diving in this country laughable.

Football players cheat all the time and have always done so in this country and the fans go along with it. Deliberate fouls, cynical fouls, appealing for a penalty/free kick/throw in/goal kick etc when they know it’s not theirs, taking a yard or two on a free kick, trying to get players booked/sent off, it’s all the same.

Diving isn’t that common here, if it happens, the player gets booked and with the crappy VAR system we now have to endure, they will aways get booked. So job done, move on. The criticism he’s getting here is totally OTT.

Agreed, we all love Murray for the free kicks/pens he 'earns' us.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
No double standards from me, you won’t find a post from me having a go at Zaha about diving. I find the pearl clutching about diving in this country laughable.

Football players cheat all the time and have always done so in this country and the fans go along with it. Deliberate fouls, cynical fouls, appealing for a penalty/free kick/throw in/goal kick etc when they know it’s not theirs, taking a yard or two on a free kick, trying to get players booked/sent off, it’s all the same.

Diving isn’t that common here, if it happens, the player gets booked and with the crappy VAR system we now have to endure, they will aways get booked. So job done, move on. The criticism he’s getting here is totally OTT.

Agreed, we all love Murray for the free kicks/pens he 'earns' us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
March has only been out for a couple of weeks, I doubt he needs mollycoddling.

Opta's latest thing is 'Possession Value player' or some other such nonsense.
Anyhoo March is our key player.

That doesn't seem too surprising.

I just wish Potter knew how to make Solly a goal threat.

I fear if he can't do that, then Solly's entire career, as fantastic as it will be, will still have a 'what might have been' caveat.

Now this I agree with completely. If he plays 30+ games this season, he really needs to be targeting five goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now this I agree with completely. If he plays 30+ games this season, he really needs to be targeting five goals.
No need to sound so surprised. :lol:

5 goals this season wont be too far off half his career total.

That just shouldn't be the case.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I suspect the wage jump is massive when you consider the average 1st team squad player is on circa £35 k per week. Highest around £45k

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here