[Football] Although It's BISSOUMA They All Seem To Want...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In terms of direct free kicks from that range.

I don't remember Dunky taking a bad one. "Scored" a beat at The Hawthorns and at least threatened with the others.

I suppose Yves must have nailed a few in training, otherwise why would he be taking them?

I don't think our record with direct free kicks is that good

Dunk also scored one at Liverpool. Pascal Gross used to take the free kicks and scored from one or two,

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Precisely! That's why using Bissouma to take out their players is such a great tactic.

We definitely won't score, so get Biss to target their most useful player, with one in the gut from 10 yards.

If Yves could hit a 1 foot square target with high power from 10 yards, I reckon his goalscoring record would be considerably better than it is.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
He’s worth way more to us than Ben White was, and we don’t want or need to sell………so if this went ahead Uncle Tony would absolutely rinse Liverpool IMO.

Actually I would like to see Tony rinse Michael Edwards that would be interesting. I don’t mind, I’m happy with Biss at either club.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Dunk also scored one at Liverpool. Pascal Gross used to take the free kicks and scored from one or two,

He did. It was under the wall.

So can you or anyone think of any other direct free kicks we've scored since we've been in the PL? I have a memory of Gross getting one in his first season, though can't remember who against.

We must have scored more than two

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But he only has 2 years left on his contract while Ben White had 4(?).

The contract length is a bit of a red herring.
If TB doesn't receive an offer matching his value to us, then the worst case is he gets to keep a £150k pw player for 2 years, whilst paying him £25k pw.

Not ideal, but better than selling him on the cheap.

My guess is a new contract will be signed unless a big club come up with £50m+

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When it became clear that Bissouma was the designated direct free kick taker on Saturday, we had a good chuckle in the North Stand.
He actually kept it down for once and caught someone in the Watford wall at full pace in the gut.

We decided that the tactic had to be, to try and injure as many opponents as possible, from direct free kicks.

I did laugh at that yeah, when he stepped up I said to the daughter this is going in row Z, alas I was wrong, the guy it hit was on the ground for some time :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Going to stick my neck out here and go against the grain... I think Bissouma has huge potential and great player, but for me he isn't the finished product and not sure if he ever will be. Can be very clumsy and frustrating at times and if anyone is prepared to pay 50 mil I would be driving him there myself! I personally don't think he is worth half of that (and don't mean that in a derogatory way)...
Honestly, I think you're about 12 months out of date. I would honestly say you describe him perfectly from that sort of time but nowadays he is outstanding.

If you want a caveat, I'd say he's not quite Kante level yet, but on the other hand he'd absolutely walk into Man Utd's starting line up, seeing as he'd be competing for Scott McTominay's position.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If Yves could hit a 1 foot square target with high power from 10 yards, I reckon his goalscoring record would be considerably better than it is.

He doesn't have to be accurate to still do some damage.
The percentages are much more in his favour than trying to actually score.
Who knows, he might miss the target completely and smash it in the top bins.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
He’s worth £75m of anyone’s money, all day long. We should not be selling for ANY less.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He did. It was under the wall.

So can you or anyone think of any other direct free kicks we've scored since we've been in the PL? I have a memory of Gross getting one in his first season, though can't remember who against.

We must have scored more than two

More recently than that, got one vs Everton…….2019, the game we won 3-2 with a last-minute (injury time) OG.

https://youtu.be/uNgviY3LEXg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So, all BHA specs off, Yves Bissouma v Kalvin Phillips, how do they compare?

Both outstanding defensive midfielders, extremely calm on the ball, break up play, great range of passing, like to burst forward with the ball, both critical to their respective teams, only a few months between them in age. You'd love to have either in your squad, if you're a big 6 side with a need there which one do you target? Can you split them?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What a game that was.

So we're on two definite sightings of BHA goal in the PL from a direct free kick.

Any more?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Both outstanding defensive midfielders, extremely calm on the ball, break up play, great range of passing, like to burst forward with the ball, both critical to their respective teams, only a few months between them in age. You'd love to have either in your squad, if you're a big 6 side with a need there which one do you target? Can you split them?

The greater international experience plus the better PL goalscoring record, would have to edge you to Phillips. Which is fine by me.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Tough call but I'd go for Yves. Both are absolutely vital for their teams though, Leeds cannot function without Phillips it would seem.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Of all the players the Reds have been linked with to replace GiniW, Biss is probably the best fit.
Plus, we haven’t spent anything really. If Mbappe leaves PSG for RM this week, I could see an offer coming in.
I’d think £35/40m plus Origi would do it.

Sorry might be me being dim, what has Mbappe going to Madrid got to do with anything?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sorry might be me being dim, what has Mbappe going to Madrid got to do with anything?

I suppose the bloke is saying PSG would have available money to spend

But they always have available money to spend

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011

RM have made an offer for Mbappe but stated that one PL club were seriously in competition with them. LFC have been saving their pennies as the player and Klopp have developed a strong personal friendship over the last two years. So, if he does go to Madrid that will release funds for other priorities.
However, now Kane has committed to spurs for at least another year, Pep may also have a look at him as well..
Could also be a load of rubbish, who knows :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
RM have made an offer for Mbappe but stated that one PL club were seriously in competition with them. LFC have been saving their pennies as the player and Klopp have developed a strong personal friendship over the last two years. Do, if he does go to Madrid that will release funds for other priorities.
However, mow Kane has committed to spurs for at least another year, Pep may also have a look at him as well..
Could also be a load of rubbish, who knows :)

Mbappe to Liverpool? Seriously? :lolol::lolol:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Mbappe to Liverpool? Seriously? :lolol::lolol:

It’s a possibility. Cannot be bothered to explain everything but club sponsors Nike, club owner and Nike ambassador Lebron James and Mbappe also Nike ambassador…
You obviously haven’t read Moneyball.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tough call but I'd go for Yves. Both are absolutely vital for their teams though, Leeds cannot function without Phillips it would seem.

The difference is, we can beat Leeds without Yves but they can’t beat us (or even score) without Phillips (which is hypothetical of course because they have never beaten us in the Premier League).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports