Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Already Decided This Coming Season Will Be My Last as STH

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I'm not sure what to do about travel this coming season.

I haven't renewed my Seagulls Travels season ticket ... few reasons including increased cost plus we had a number of issues last year with constantly changing vehicles, break downs and a different driver most weeks that didn't know the route and were taking wrong turns and missing pick ups! I know it's tough times in the travel industry but I wasn't prepared to pay the much higher price for a service with question marks over it.

I don't like packed trains (with beered up blokes) so avoid them as much as possible. I have problem with walking for an hour or so (subject to weather) so am considering getting the 700 bus (free) into Brighton and walking to the ground from there. And then do the reverse after the game - avoiding queue at Falmer. That's fine for most games - but evening kick offs are trickier due to less frequent buses.

Another option is cycling to the The Amex (from Shoreham) although I'm not sure what the policy is about being able to take a helmet into the ground?? Anyone know? This option would also be weather dependent!!

Of course the best options would be a decent train service with more carriages where passengers aren't treated like cattle!!

As a footnote ... some of the comments made to THPP are pretty pathetic!!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’ve trimmed my routine down to about a 4hr trip, that’s travelling from Sompting. In the car at 2, in Falmer 35 minutes later, brisk walk to the ground, no queues and stroll through an empty concourse just in time for kick off. After the game I stay in the terrace until everyone has dispersed, walk along the aisles to the vomitory closest to the exit and off I go. This has nothing to do with being worried about Covid, but it’s a hassle free way of coming and going so might help THPP. Hopefully a change in routine might spur on his enthusiasm.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I totally understand Covid worries as a legitimate reason to consider not attending games. Had them myself last season but was fine. Spent the last couple of weeks with the virus however after my daughter brought it home as a gift from an Ed Sheeran concert. Another reason to dislike him now apart from the music. Not sure you can truly avoid it fully.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Indeed, I spent most of my youth at non league games , mainly Worthing - but was always a Brighton supporter. Can’t imagine regularly going to other teams games and not being invested in the result like a proper fan

I used to go to Worthing with my mates in the ‘60s - the days of Mick and Ted Streeter - until one day they were getting thrashed at home something like 6-0 at half time - and we left. The next week we went to Brighton, and since then there’s only been one team that mattered. It’s an emotional attachment as well as anything else.

boik

Thing has just about run its course for me, will be stepping aside. BHAFC can sink or swim with or without my £. Time was when the proper fanbase made the difference. That's not the case anymore. Despite living about 3 miles from the Amex, still makes it about a 6 hour covid high-risk round trip.

Just too tired. Just can't be arsed with it anymore. Club mask regime and SASTA make it perfectly clear they don't care if we catch covid or not. ****s

Lewes FC looks like a way better day out on just about every level

3 miles is an hours walk. I do it twice a day with my dog and I've never caught Covid. In fact it would be my preferred way of getting to the Amex but Hassocks is a bit too far. Cycled it before which was fun, but those hills are a bit too steep for my old legs.

So if you walked it would be 4 hours with the added benefit of no Covid and extra exercise. Seems simple to me.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Not sure why this couldn't be tagged onto one of the existing type threads but...

Always saddened to hear a long term fan saying they're giving up. Many "newer" fans might not stick around when things dip (we've had a mighty run since the Amex opened). The older fans know what it's like to follow a team really through the mire.

I'm currently on hiatus (my username is inappropriate nowadays) for last season and this one, hope to get back to a season ticket in 2023.

So, no hate from me. Hope you can relight your fire and enjoy it all again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can’t say the covid bit has bothered me at the ground and the comment about mask regime? :moo:
I don’t as yet travel by public transport, but from what I can see depending upon the time you travel it can be a pain…and the OP has my sympathies …hopefully he can work out an alternative this coming season and at the end of the season give us the good news.
Pity there isn’t some sort of car sharing scheme ..or am I being a bit naive.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not sure what to do about travel this coming season.

I haven't renewed my Seagulls Travels season ticket ... few reasons including increased cost plus we had a number of issues last year with constantly changing vehicles, break downs and a different driver most weeks that didn't know the route and were taking wrong turns and missing pick ups! I know it's tough times in the travel industry but I wasn't prepared to pay the much higher price for a service with question marks over it.

I don't like packed trains (with beered up blokes) so avoid them as much as possible. I have problem with walking for an hour or so (subject to weather) so am considering getting the 700 bus (free) into Brighton and walking to the ground from there. And then do the reverse after the game - avoiding queue at Falmer. That's fine for most games - but evening kick offs are trickier due to less frequent buses.

Another option is cycling to the The Amex (from Shoreham) although I'm not sure what the policy is about being able to take a helmet into the ground?? Anyone know? This option would also be weather dependent!!

Of course the best options would be a decent train service with more carriages where passengers aren't treated like cattle!!

As a footnote ... some of the comments made to THPP are pretty pathetic!![/QUOTE

Just as a matter of interest what time do you normally get to the ground

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thing has just about run its course for me, will be stepping aside. BHAFC can sink or swim with or without my £. Time was when the proper fanbase made the difference. That's not the case anymore. Despite living about 3 miles from the Amex, still makes it about a 6 hour covid high-risk round trip.

Just too tired. Just can't be arsed with it anymore. Club mask regime and SASTA make it perfectly clear they don't care if we catch covid or not. ****s

Lewes FC looks like a way better day out on just about every level

6 hours?!?

I don’t doubt you, but that seems rather long - I don’t think it’s taken me that long to get too and from WHL

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I find it difficult to believe anyone who lives in Sussex has anywhere near a 6 hour round trip. As a matter of interest I do have such a trip, but I live in Somerset. The journey can get a tad boring at times - always worse, of course, going home after a defeat. But I use it to catch up on podcasts, audio books and stuff. I've been a season-ticket holder since the first season at Withdean (and a few odd seasons before that)....the Amex is an amazing stadium, and the spectator experience is first class. The quality of the football is exceptional at times - I don't think we realise how fortunate we are to watch many of the best players in the world in a beautiful stadium, in a beautiful part of the country.

Despite the long journey there is no way I would give up my ST.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The empathy on this thread is astounding. Some of you just couldn’t wait to put the boot in.

In my defence, my own contribution was just an attempted joke about the nonsense Premier League KO times.

I have every sympathy for THPP. I tend to agree with a lot of his points and it's why I gave up our ST's just before Covid hit. I had several other reasons to add to his list though and it was enough to tip the balance.

In defence of the ones lacking empathy. I reckon THPP might have been a bit disappointed if he didn't receive some kick back to go with the nice comments on this one. It's a bit like being disappointed if you lost something at the ground, posted it on here and Enrest didn't start a pisstake thread about it :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Of course about you, You started thread. Many just fascinated how someone can look for longest route to cover your short distance to ground and then moan it takes you a long time.. Maybe all will be ok and club will offer you personal transport to and from the ground.

Or first dibs on the looong overdue waterslide :thumbsup:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
6 hours?!?

I don’t doubt you, but that seems rather long - I don’t think it’s taken me that long to get too and from WHL

When I used to go to the game from Preston park would probably be out of the house for 5-6.5 hours. That being trying to get on a London Rd train between 12.30-1.30 so you might definitely get on and accept you miss one or two, and then waiting for queues to get slightly better and a London Rd train on the way back. And that was on a normal Saturday in the championship with lower attendances, not including Sundays etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here