Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allardyce talks Hoofball (brighton reference)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Considering the shit big Sam has had to put up with about this "hoofball" shit, i don't think he's done to bad.

Sometimes, in the championship and away from home against good sides like Brighton, you need to adapt your tactics accordingly. Park the bus, hit em on the break, hoof it up, etc etc if that's what's needed to win a game, then i'll take it.

On reflection...did we deserve to go up ? probably yes although it wasn't pretty at times. I like to think we've got a good blend now and capable of mixing our play to suit the opposition. Carroll has been superb and many Liverpool fans are gutted he's gone. Im sure many of you hate Nolan for his celebrations but he's scoring for fun.

Do you really believe that, or are you secretly gutted that the integrity and history of the club as "The Academy Of Football", the legacy of Moore, Hurst / Peters, the genius of Devonshire and Brooking has been sacrified completely in the pursuit of the Premiership payday? I thought that kind of football is what Stoke did.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Do you really believe that, or are you secretly gutted that the integrity and history of the club as "The Academy Of Football", the legacy of Moore, Hurst / Peters, the genius of Devonshire and Brooking has been sacrified completely in the pursuit of the Premiership payday? I thought that kind of football is what Stoke did.

Football today has changed. We live in a time where results matter far more than how you get the results. WHU haven't played the superb football of the Brooking/Devonshire era for many years. We came close to it after promotion in 2006 but that was short lived.

Funnily enough, i think we're playing some nice stuff at the moment and having Andy Carroll gives us the chance to mix things up a bit. Ok so we hoof the ball a bit, but we can play equally well on the floor using the wide players. Like or hate him, big Sam has given WH a bit of steel...something we lacked in the pretty football days of sir Trev and when we were considdered by many to be a soft touch.

It was my one big critisism of Poyet....he had one way and refused to change it to suit the opposition last season. he got found out several times...one by WH and he didn't seem to have a plan B. Ive not been to the Amex this season but understand he's changed things a lot despite a few crap results.

Sometimes, you have to go to places...like the Amex and win ugly. It'll never make you any friends but let's face it, the last time WH won at BHA was in 1978...so i'll take an ugly win any day. Also bear in mind that the win at the Boleyn wasn't ugly !!!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the the days of Brooking you reached 3 Wembley finals, winning 2, so I think the soft touch thing has been overplayed. There was nothing soft about Billy Bonds or Alvin Martin. Personally I hope Allardyce is a means to an end, much as George Graham was for Spurs, and that West Ham find their spirit again. I miss the era when clubs had a distinct identity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here