Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All time favourite film?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
As a few people have put more than one, I'll whack a few of my favourites in as well: Cruel Intentions, Aladdin, Butterfly Effect, BTTF Trilogy, The Time Machine, Time Traveler's Wife, Broken Arrow, Swordfish, Face/Off (those three have nothing to do with John Travolta being in them, he just happens to be in them), Usual Suspects, and more recently, Inception.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Green mile
Blazing saddles
National lampoons animal house
Dr shivago
You only live twice
Kind hearts and coronets

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i owe my username and signature to my favourite film.

SNATCH

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The definition of your all time fav film must be a film that you can watch many times over any given period of time without it getting lacklustre or jaded in any way with similar enjoyment to the very 1st time you ever saw it....am I incorrect in this statement?? :eek:

If so, the only problem with having a thriller or a drama as your all time fav is that when you know the twist or know how the film ends, some of the initial excitement from the first watch & drama must go surely? :ohmy:

Same with anything comedic....very funny the first time, moderately funny the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th time and then it's not so funny.

At least with a quality musical, as long as you like the tune(s) you can watch it over & over & still get the same pleasure, same as watching a concert DVD of your favourite band.
I give you two that I have watched many times and enjoy just as much every single time: -

Pulp Fiction
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It's difficult to choose, but I guess my favourite would be either Stand By Me or Seven Samurai. Or possibly Spirited Away or The Thin Red Line. Or maybe Platoon or Some Like it Hot. Actually it might be The Royal Tenenbaums or Goodfellas. I should stop now.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Ok, hands up, I'm a sci-fi nerd and everything I say about films is biased by that fact.

BUT- I still think this is the most remarkable scene in any film made in my lifetime, in quite possibly* my favourite film. Especially when you consider Rutger Hauer was pretty much ad-libbing. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, even though I've seen it a million times.

*I say "quite possibly" because it's so hard to pin down, a lot of good suggestions in this thread!

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Difficult to narrow down. Here's my short list:

Seven,
A Clockwork Orange,
Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind,
The Mummy,
Bruno,
Poltergeist,
Silence Of The Lambs,
Road Trip,
The Fugitive,
Planes,Trains & Automobiles,
Beverley Hills Cop,
The Wedding Singer,
Saving Private Ryan,
The Butterfly Effect,
Blade Runner,
The Thing(original),
Green Mile,
Gattaca,
A Fish Called Wanda,
Misery,
Superbad,
Scum,
American Werewolf In London,
Vanilla Sky,
Eyes Wide Shut,
Sleepers,
The Hitcher,
Full Metal Jacket,
Clockwise,
Alien,
Mona Lisa,
Angel Heart,
Lucky Number Slevin,
Shawshank Redemption,
One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest,
Quadrophenia,
Trading Places,
Dirty Rotten Scroundrels,
Fight Club,
Terminator,
Life Of Brian,
Liar Liar,
The Number 23,
Happy Gilmour,
Don't Mess With The Zohan,
The Machinist,
Click,
The Exorcist,
Breakfast Club,
8mm,
American Pie,
Wicker Man(original),
The Usual Suspects,
Back To The Future,
Planet Of The Apes(original),
Unfaithful,
There's Something About Mary,
The Life Of David Gale,
Closer,
Memento,
Crash,
Men In Black,
Ghostbusters.

(sorry)

I suspect that like most peoples ""all time favourite.... (band/track/album/breakfast cereal...)" it probably changes on a regular basis. Today my favourite film shall mostly be "Master and Commander - the far side of the World" for which Russell Crowe surely deserved an Oscar in the "Best portrayal of an English naval officer of the Napoleonic Era by an actor of Antipodean descent" category.

Tomorrow my favourite film could be Hot Fuzz, Ruthless People or Wallace and Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Zulu/Zulu Dawn because I had descendants there.
Empire of the Sun, Spielberg's best film in my opinion.
Blazing Saddles.
A Bridge too Far.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I can't say that I have a specific favourite, one which I love more than others. My favourite at the time would depend on my currant mood. There's many films I love for different reasons, too many to mention. But most recently the one at the top of the list has been Bubba Ho Tep. A ageing Elvis (Bruce Campbell) living in a retirement home along with a black man who thinks he's JFK (Ossie Davis) link up up to fight a cowboy mummy. I enjoy it every time I watch it. It may not rank up there with the blockbusters or classic's in most peoples minds, but I love this film. It does exactly what I want it too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blade Runner
Inception
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction

One of those.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I love American Psycho but IMO it's a great comedy. The scene with the raincoat and the axe always makes me laugh. Not denigrating the film at all but it IS a comedy.

Yeah there are some really funny moments in it... agreed the axe scene is classic isn't he talking about Phil Collin and Genises and how uplifting the music is ...before savagely killing his nemesis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here