Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All the pressure on Sheff Wednesday on Monday night

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The pressure is all on us to score twice, but we may not feel it if we go at them hard from the start.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But a 2 goal deficit HAS been overturned in the playoffs. Palace did it in 89. The reason Sky are saying it hasn't been done is that the Premier League hadn't started then, so those stats don't count*

* of course they ****ing count

As the play-offs are nothing to do with the Premier League, I reckon it might even be since the rebrand of the second tier to The Championship. Which was only 12 years ago. So it's utter bullshit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some patience may be required. 0-0 at 60 minutes is not a disaster for us. Slowly crank up the pressure, score one and then throw the kitchen sink at them. If we have to use all 90 (or 95) minutes to get on parity then so be it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Some patience may be required. 0-0 at 60 minutes is not a disaster for us. Slowly crank up the pressure, score one and then throw the kitchen sink at them. If we have to use all 90 (or 95) minutes to get on parity then so be it.

Precisely. And even with all the injuries we still have potential to have a couple of players on the bench that could make a difference. The first goal is pretty much decisive if it goes Wednesday's way so Hughton will bear that in mind. Hopefully the crowd will too (although I'm not hopeful given the moaning that goes on behind me even when we're not 2 down!).

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
In my opinion and that's not worth a lot, there are two players from last night who will be absolutely crucial.
I've seen both of them get some stick on here for their performance last night, and that is Baldock and Wilson .
We need Baldock to hassle their back line from the start, and we need him to do if until he can't give no more. We also need someone alongside him doing the same, that's not Wilson, it's just not his game, maybe Murphy maybe Skalak, maybe even one from the U21's all they have to do is chase lost causes and unsettle their defence.

Wednesday like to keep the ball, play possession football, just like we did under Gus and Oscar, and just like us they don't look comfortable when you press them high up the pitch.

Close them down from the off and they will make mistakes.

Lua Lua may be the right man to replace Knockaert, let him run at them and create havoc, win free kicks and who knows.

Wilson will still be needed, we can't expect anyone to keep closing them down for 90 minutes and then maybe another 30, so bring him on near the end, when Baldock has had it, because the lad may be lightweight and look lethargic, but he certainly can finish given the opportunity.

SussexBlade

May 13, 2016
I'm a Sheffield United fan whose lived most of my life in Sussex. Can't put it into words how much I hope you turn it around.

I'd wish you luck but considering our playoff record, you're probably best off without it.

Seriously though, no one knows how rough the playoffs can be better than us and Brighton have been on the brink of the prem for a while now. You deserve to go up and you've been incredibly unlucky so far. It's obviously a big ask but a two goal win is far from impossible.

Hope you turn the Amex into cauldron on Monday.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
All the pressure. People said that about boro. Pressure doesn't matter. We just have to get on with it and take it to extra time.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Having watched Derby get turned over my opinion has change completely. For some
reason I genuinely believe we can do this. Wednesday think they've made it to the following Saturday already!! 12th man time but absolutely no reason why we can't dispose of these arrogant Yorkshire bellends. Hull singing 'Sheffield Wednesday were coming for you' has definetly fired me up!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
All the pressure. People said that about boro. Pressure doesn't matter. We just have to get on with it and take it to extra time.
If were 2 up on 60 mins I will hope we can finish it off before extra time.

That was what I was dreaming last night anyway:D:D

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
We have to score the first, the crowd will come to life and then they'll wobble

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Nothing to do with pressure. Pressure on both sides. We've just gotta go for it and give it everything we got.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
But a 2 goal deficit HAS been overturned in the playoffs. Palace did it in 89. The reason Sky are saying it hasn't been done is that the Premier League hadn't started then, so those stats don't count

Our dear friends have that annoying knack of pulling it around when things seem to be against them, don't they? I think Sky are one of the most annoying things about football. I would say that I'm not that bothered about not going up, but they've ruined our division too, with games being moved at short notice and Beagrie and Holloway droning on. They've cost me enough games over the past two seasons, and I hardly ever bother going away now (I nearly bought a ticket to the Forest game), and this is one of the reasons.

Of course this tie is not over - a Sheffield Wednesday player could make an error, the players we do put out could have the games of their lives, though I think an early goal is needed. Whatever happens and even if I got a bit carried away on the Baldock and Hemed thread over the squad not being good enough, Chris and the players can hold their heads high for their achievements this season.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
So we have had one game when we suffered a huge injustice and one in which we suffered a statistically freakish succession of injuries.......but we are still in with a chance that is based on a number of totally plausible scenarios. We never got this back in 78 so let's keep the faith. As for the statistic about 2 goal leads in the playoffs...look at how often teams suffer 4 injuries like last night. We have already moved beyond the point where such statistics are meaningful. Let's make history!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
They wont be prepared for the team we have out on Monday anyway. Because, even on here, no one has a clue who will be turning up for the next game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here