Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think anyone else has turned us down yet.
I don't think so either.

I'm not sure we have any indication beyond NSC thinking he'd be a good signing, that Jamie Ward was ever a target for the albion.

If Murphy has turned us down as well, however, that isn't good.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we gave this guy a deadline and he then turned us down I think it's clear that the club did the right thing. Given how late we were with most of our signings last year, giving players deadlines would seem to be a good idea as long as we have also made our best offer by then.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The thing that hacks me off with this player was that it seems he was never going to say yes.

It was all a game for his agent.

Who put the original story in the press. Not the albion for sure.

So he played us. Maybe, maybe, 50/50, maybe...

He came to look round the Amex etc. But was never going to sign. It was all about getting bids from higher teams.

Well done to the albion for pulling the plug on the shennanigans.

He has clearly used us to try to get something better, but as things stand there are no other offers on the table that we know of. So all his agent has done so far is pissed off his current club and denied his player a more lucrative contract. Maybe something better will come along, but if this player is so in demand, why have no other clubs come in for him so far? What makes his agent so confident that other offers will be forthcoming? I would not be surprised if this saga is resurrected again in 4 weeks time. But it does sum up just how difficult the transfer market can be - we have not been turned down for something better yet, just the wish/dream of something better!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Has the player actually turned down the move? Or is all of this based on a story from one website?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And this is literally the reason I have decided, this summer, to not bother reading rumours or potential transfer stories on NSC or the news.

The only reason I'm on this now is because the thread title appeared concrete

The amazing thing about transfer stories is all the people who read them create a whole back story in their head based on nuggets of information . "oh, he's PLAYED us".

Seriously, try this summer not reading rumours and just waiting for seagulls.co.uk to let you know if we have a new football player. It really is lovely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Team [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Fair play to the club for forcing his hand. Although it was incredibly obvious to me two weeks ago that he was fannying about waiting for a better offer, so I should imagine our recruitment staff have been making alternative arrangements for a while now.

I'm not sure I agree that players and agents have too much power (the alternative was never fair on the players), but the way the player and his agent are conducting themselves - blatantly whoring themselves out to the highest bidder via the media, as if our offer was fair game for starting a bidding war - is an unpleasant, immoral way to do business.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't think he said no because of money. He is only 21 and he has just said recently on an iranian tv interview that he wants to play at the highest level possible.

As would any young player. I am not sure why we think that having a shiny stadium automatically guarantees us getting decent young players in, especially buying them. Decent players are spotted and bought up by premiership and top European teams and then loaned out and as much as we don't like the loan system, clubs like ours who haven't got the big bucks are forced to adopt this process.

As mentioned above, occasionally we discover a gem like Vicente, ulloa, the Israeli fella, but we must get used to the idea that we will have to pick up second rate foreign imports who will hopefully gell, or most importantly we develop a set of youngsters, the better ones can get sold on to realise revenue, the rest will be good enough for first team action.

Such is modern football.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
... or, are we just terrible at getting deals over the line, whilst other clubs, even in our league, get their targets...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another point. Frankly, given the way this chap and his agent are going about their business this Summer, we may be best off without him.

Imagine he comes in and does well. We'd be on the receiving end of this shambles a year from now as he is hawked around the Premier League looking for another move.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another point. Frankly, given the way this chap and his agent are going about their business this Summer, we may be best off without him.

Imagine he comes in and does well. We'd be on the receiving end of this shambles a year from now as he is hawked around the Premier League looking for another move.
I was just about to speculate this very same point.

Without a doubt if he joins, we are potentially storing up future grief down the line with an engineered move away, media briefings, sulks, lack of focus etc.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've decided that all i'm gonna do during this summer is open the Argus Albion page, if there isn't a red 'Breaking News' at the top (which is a clear sign of something concrete happening), I'm not gonna bother reading. Getting bored now of links, speculation, hopes raised.

Saying that, I probably will still read the speculation etc, but it made me feel better venting my frustration above!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Team [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Fair play to the club for forcing his hand. Although it was incredibly obvious to me two weeks ago that he was fannying about waiting for a better offer, so I should imagine our recruitment staff have been making alternative arrangements for a while now.

I'm not sure I agree that players and agents have too much power (the alternative was never fair on the players), but the way the player and his agent are conducting themselves - blatantly whoring themselves out to the highest bidder via the media, as if our offer was fair game for starting a bidding war - is an unpleasant, immoral way to do business.

Perhaps we need to start muscling in on a few other clubs deals. Play a little harder and start gazumping.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
It is turning into another painful summer in Albion Transfer Land, a place full of links, speculation and deals half-done that never get done.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

This is a fair point, he seems like trouble (or at least his agent does). My concern is we may not be able to attract the quality we are crying out for.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It is turning into another painful summer in Albion Transfer Land, a place full of links, speculation and deals half-done that never get done.

Did you really expect anything less? Just be grateful that season ticket prices weren't increased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here