Alireza Jahanbakhsh 1.4million

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think that sometimes people forget the size of the Championship as a league because of the overwhelming profile of the PL. By wealth alone, the Championship is rated as the 6th largest league in the world. This means that we can almost certainly outbid anyone in either the Dutch or Belgian leagues. Admittedly they may be able to offer CL football etc but if you are a rising star in european football playing one or two seasons in the Championship would bring you to the attention of the PL clubs as well as grounding you in English football while earning some decent money too. It really wouldn't be a bad move for the lad.

If I was this fellas agent I certainly wouldn't be ruling it out and I'd definitely think it was better route than a couple of seasons in the SPL and a couple of CL qualifiers to get knocked out in...

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I think that sometimes people forget the size of the Championship as a league because of the overwhelming profile of the PL. By wealth alone, the Championship is rated as the 6th largest league in the world. This means that we can almost certainly outbid anyone in either the Dutch or Belgian leagues. Admittedly they may be able to offer CL football etc but if you are a rising star in european football playing one or two seasons in the Championship would bring you to the attention of the PL clubs as well as grounding you in English football while earning some decent money too. It really wouldn't be a bad move for the lad.

If I was this fellas agent I certainly wouldn't be ruling it out and I'd definitely think it was better route than a couple of seasons in the SPL and a couple of CL qualifiers to get knocked out in...

100% agreed and Ulloa has proved what a good window it can be. He would not have gone straight to Premier league. He needs regular first team football in as high a league as he can get. Norwich might take a chance but would he be guaranteed first team football - not sure, I think many would see Celtic as a path not leading anywhere, which for a young talent with lofty ambitions is probably the wrong move. IMHO We have a decent chance provided we don't get outbid by a decent championship team

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Which is more than 50% of the Championship, such a strong division.

Would like to think our setup (stadium,attendance,training facilities,medical staff) is better than most (although not all) of the Championship. Yes we had a blip last year but with a couple of good signings, and with the consistency of a decent manager staying over the summer i am optimistic...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Renewal date can't be summer, more like March 1 , so I think we will be top on Feb 28 and fade to 7th when marquee loan players get sent back March 2nd

Not February 29th?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
100% agreed and Ulloa has proved what a good window it can be. He would not have gone straight to Premier league. He needs regular first team football in as high a league as he can get. Norwich might take a chance but would he be guaranteed first team football - not sure, I think many would see Celtic as a path not leading anywhere, which for a young talent with lofty ambitions is probably the wrong move. IMHO We have a decent chance provided we don't get outbid by a decent championship team

If Norwich/Celtic offer double what we are he won't be coming here.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If Norwich/Celtic offer double what we are he won't be coming here.

Norwich might, Celtic definitely won't, they pay less than we do. There are probably 30 teams in the country who can outbid us, the vast majority of those he would not start for. If he wants to sit in Norwich's reserves and go out on loan in January, there is not much we can do. If the lad wants to play possibly earn a bit less in the short term, but when he gets into the PL have a much better chance of playing straight away then a move to the Albion is probably a better way of getting to where he wants to be.

The One good thing from the sales of the Ulloa, Bridcutt etc etc is that it shows any young promising player that we will not stand in their way if the right offer comes along for them and the club. That doesn't help us as fans much but would be a good plus point for someone in this lads position, good standard of football in a relevant league in a big football nation, for a club with great facilities who won't force you to stay against your will if the deal is right.

Even for PL clubs the big money goes to the lads who play every week not the squad players...

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Norwich might, Celtic definitely won't, they pay less than we do. There are probably 30 teams in the country who can outbid us, the vast majority of those he would not start for. If he wants to sit in Norwich's reserves and go out on loan in January, there is not much we can do. If the lad wants to play possibly earn a bit less in the short term, but when he gets into the PL have a much better chance of playing straight away then a move to the Albion is probably a better way of getting to where he wants to be.

The One good thing from the sales of the Ulloa, Bridcutt etc etc is that it shows any young promising player that we will not stand in their way if the right offer comes along for them and the club. That doesn't help us as fans much but would be a good plus point for someone in this lads position, good standard of football in a relevant league in a big football nation, for a club with great facilities who won't force you to stay against your will if the deal is right.

Even for PL clubs the big money goes to the lads who play every week not the squad players...

Exactly. The thing that makes this still worth it for us fans is that this is the way to get us up. We will just need to take the chance next time it comes. Ideally without the need for playoffs! Then they don't have to move to get their window in the premier league, and if they turn out to be real class at that stage they go with our thanks to a top 6 team.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Exactly. The thing that makes this still worth it for us fans is that this is the way to get us up. We will just need to take the chance next time it comes. Ideally without the need for playoffs! Then they don't have to move to get their window in the premier league, and if they turn out to be real class at that stage they go with our thanks to a top 6 team.

Incremental steps forward. It's the only way without a Russian/Arab/Thai etc etc benefactor. Buy/develop cheap, sell high, use the money to improve several positions and repeat, until the whole squad is good enough to get promoted...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That is not what he said. He said we were the only English club that had agreed a fee.

BG in post with inaccurate made up bullshit? Surely not! I can't believe anyone can continuously post factually false info and pass it off as fact as often as he does!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports