Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alien Abduction meeeting in Brighton

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well you can't call 100 revolutions 1 revolution without being wrong (or changing the meaning of the word revolution). You could call 100 revolutions 1 day, yes. Bit weird, but you could.
Indeed. But we don't decide it's 3.65, it's 3.65 because that's the number of your 'days' that it takes the earth to travel around the Sun once.
3.65 of your new days, yes, but not 3.65 revolutions. Just as there's about 12 1/3rd lunar months in a year. We didn't choose that number either.

You're just being silly. That's like saying earth didn't exist before we said it did, because nature has no concept of earth. Nature didn't have the concept, but the earth did spin (revolve). And it also went around the sun. And every time it went round the sun, it also revolved 365 times.

Just the same way that earth existed before man. The word 'earth' didn't, but the object we're talking about did. Just as the digits 365 didn't exist in our mind, the earth did revolve around the sun.

Yes, we measured it. We decided to call sunrises/sunsets days, and we decided to name the full cycle of seasons a year. At that point, we didn't know the number of days in a year, and we could choose it. We measured it, and got the answer.
Well he accidentally didn't, because he said "We didn't figure out how many days are in a year, we decided. There wasn't a secret, unknown figure waiting to be discovered." That's wrong. Long after we had the term for a day and a year, we measured and discovered the number of days in a year. That's very different to the number of hours in a day, which was decided rather than measured.

It's amazing how you can address every point so comprehensively time and time again and yet still get everything wrong. I'm finally lost for words. It's Friday. let's all go and get drunk.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Unbelievable. I need to get away from this thread, it's been hijacked by retards.

Stay with it its fun.....365? hmmm,i know your not in agreement either..

I've only read the last couple of pages in curiosity as to why a thread title such as this could amass 24 pages!
A 'year' is how long a planner takes to fully rotate around its point of orbit.
Actually the planet revolves around the sun; it only rotates about its own axis. The period to which you refer is a solar year, which lasts 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and about 50 seconds.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've only read the last couple of pages...

The period to which you refer is a solar year, which lasts 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and about 50 seconds.
About? Don't turn up here with 'About'! Come back when you've got it to a nanosecond.

About? Don't turn up here with 'About'! Come back when you've got it to a nanosecond.
It's just such a lax attitude that led to the calendar getting seriously out of sync in the Middle Ages!
They based the calendar on 365 days 6 hours, meaning that each leap day over-adjusted by 44 minutes and (about:)) 40 seconds. All those ¾ hours added up to a whole day every 128 years, so it didn't take too many centuries for the problem to become apparent. I remember reading about the solar year in a diary in the 1970s, but it stated 48 seconds, then later another source said 51 seconds. I think it varies, so sorry, any fraction of a second would be of little value! I think it's this variation which gives physicists the need to adjust time by a leap second.

These numbers and significance are purely man made - they do not exist outside of our (human) interpretation.
There are not 365 of 'anything' in a 'year' in the natural world. WE decided.
(I think).
Neither years nor days are man made. Weeks and months are. It's just that is no relation between days and years, just as there is none between a circle's radius and its circumference. So, the latter's ratio is 3.14159265358979 etc whilst the former is about (but not exactly) 365.24224.

Last edited:

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Do you spend a lot of time trawling old threads for "like" trolling opportunities? Just wondering.

Actually no, I was reading a thread in which you were being particularly superior and couldn't quite believe your condescending attitude or the number of times you managed to crowbar UKIP into your replies, so I clicked on your post history to see if you were just having a bad day and realised you probably weren't hence my question.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Everyone knows, shirley, that time goes "tick, tock, tick, tock ..."

In other words, once there's been a tick, there'll be another tick, once the tock has finished.

But does it? perhaps it goes "tick,tick,tick,tick..." well the clock in my bedroom certainly does

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here