[Albion] Ali Mac "firsts"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I know there are several WC threads going but I want to keep this one going all the time he's our player...

1. First Argentine to play for the Albion (?)
2. First Albion player with a Scottish name who doesn't play for Scotland 🙄
3. First Albion player to score at the WC finals ( or was that Moises? In which case he's the first player to be the second Albion goalscorer in WC LOL)
4. First Albion player to get an assist at the WC final itself
5. First Albion player to receive WC winner medal ( or any medal for that matter)

Maybe next few added soon?
A..first Albion player NOT sold by Bloom with a 50m+ offer
B. first Albion player to 10 goals this season?
A. You’ll probably never know

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
New contract signed after Potter left.....so he wont know whats in the contract
Unless Chelsea has tested the water in the past few eeeks to see what floats 😉

Re a ‘50m Release Clause’- I must admit to not knowing a lot about football contract law so I stand to be corrected - but how likely is it that TB would include such an extortionate ‘release clause’ or onerous conditions anyway into what could otherwise be a relatively straightforward realistic transfer fee (to a big 6 club) as this would effectively restrict the movement of one his players against their will and deliberately attempt to price that player out of the market in order to keep him? We know that’s not a Bloom/BHA ethos. Conversely, since a ‘release clause’ of the type being discussed here would put the selling club under legal obligation to accept the contract amount, if several top clubs are interested in a player, a release clause could even limit the potential transfer price too. Now a ‘Buy Out Clause‘ such as are frequently used in Spanish contracts makes much more sense to me for a player like Mackie who has a number of years left on his contract, yet whose transfer value is likely to be exponentially increasing. A Buy Out can set the contract at a much higher figure than the current market value - and is complicated enough to probably deter everyone from an early transfer option except the most determined.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Re a ‘50m Release Clause’- I must admit to not knowing a lot about football contract law so I stand to be corrected - but how likely is it that TB would include such an extortionate ‘release clause’ or onerous conditions anyway into what could otherwise be a relatively straightforward realistic transfer fee (to a big 6 club) as this would effectively restrict the movement of one his players against their will and deliberately attempt to price that player out of the market in order to keep him? We know that’s not a Bloom/BHA ethos. Conversely, since a ‘release clause’ of the type being discussed here would put the selling club under legal obligation to accept the contract amount, if several top clubs are interested in a player, a release clause could even limit the potential transfer price too. Now a ‘Buy Out Clause‘ such as are frequently used in Spanish contracts makes much more sense to me for a player like Mackie who has a number of years left on his contract, yet whose transfer value is likely to be exponentially increasing. A Buy Out can set the contract at a much higher figure than the current market value - and is complicated enough to probably deter everyone from an early transfer option except the most determined.
With what we got for White and Cucu, a £50m clause in a brand new contract makes no sense. I reckon it’s BS.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He played a few games when we were short of a left back (where have we heard that?) He was sent off in the notorious Peter Walton match at Southampton, possibly for protesting against his decision to award a penalty for a foul two yards outside the penalty area. I can't remember whether he committed the foul. However, as he was only providing emergency cover, perhaps he doesn't count.
Played in the FA Cup for us against Woking IIRC, and got sent off there too. He’s one of a handful of Argentinian players to have preceded Mac Alister as Albion players.

Argentinians who have played for Brighton.

Taricco played more than a dozen times for us.
Federico Turienzo 5 appearances.
Battipiedi 20+ appearances.
Cristian Bas, 15 appearances.
Leo Ulloa, 60+ appearances.
Emmanuel Ledesma, 5 appearances on loan from Boro.
Ezequiel Schelotto is half Argentinian, 30+ appearances.

Neal Maupay qualifies to play for Argentina as one of his parents is from there.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

That's quite a confusing post, Zeberdi.

What the difference between a release clause and a buyout clause?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes I know there are several WC threads going but I want to keep this one going all the time he's our player...

1. First Argentine to play for the Albion (?)
2. First Albion player with a Scottish name who doesn't play for Scotland 🙄
3. First Albion player to score at the WC finals ( or was that Moises? In which case he's the first player to be the second Albion goalscorer in WC LOL)
4. First Albion player to get an assist at the WC final itself
5. First Albion player to receive WC winner medal ( or any medal for that matter)

Maybe next few added soon?
A..first Albion player NOT sold by Bloom with a 50m+ offer
B. first Albion player to 10 goals this season?
1). Ulloa.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That's quite a confusing post, Zeberdi.

What the difference between a release clause and a buyout clause?

There are subtle differences I think and a ‘buy out’ is a form of ‘release’ from an existing contract, so confusing similarities (But as said above I’m not an expert in this area and don’t know a lot about football contracts!) From what I understand - In a ‘buy out’ this can be apart from a transfer transaction - a player with an agreed ‘buy out’ in his contract can unilaterally terminate the contract with existing club for a pre-determined compensation fee and become a free agent rather like you agreeing to pay a utility company an exit fee if you end your contract early (it doesn’t depend on a negotiating relationship with a new utility company in order for the exit fee to become payable to your existing supplier)

“The parties may, however, stipulate in the contract the amount that the player shall pay to the club as compensation in order to unilaterally terminate the contract (a so-called buyout clause). The advantage of this clause is that the parties mutually agree on the amount at the very beginning and fix this in the contract. By paying this amount to the club, the player is entitled to unilaterally terminate the employment contract. With this buyout clause, the parties agree to give the player the opportunity to cancel the contract at any moment and without a valid reason, i.e. also during the protected period, and as such, no sporting sanctions may be imposed on the player as a result of the premature termination.”

A ‘Release Clause’

…is a clause in a player’s contract that, subject to qualifying conditions (i.e. a particular transfer window or non-participation in the Champions League), automatically requires a club to accept an offer of a pre-determined contractual amount expressly set out in the contract from the offering club. If the minimum amount stipulated in the contract is triggered by a the purchasing club, the player will be entitled to speak to that club.

Thus, a ‘Release Clause’ in the narrow sense, requires a 3rd party activation (ie by the offering club) and the obligation is on the registered club to then sell the player for the pre-determined contractual ‘release’ amount stipulated in the players contract..(if the player agrees of course) and can only be completed in one or two a transfer windows as opposed to at any time with a Buy Out Clause.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Played in the FA Cup for us against Woking IIRC, and got sent off there too. He’s one of a handful of Argentinian players to have preceded Mac Alister as Albion players.

Argentinians who have played for Brighton.

Taricco played more than a dozen times for us.
Federico Turienzo 5 appearances.
Battipiedi 20+ appearances.
Cristian Bas, 15 appearances.
Leo Ulloa, 60+ appearances.
Emmanuel Ledesma, 5 appearances on loan from Boro.
Ezequiel Schelotto is half Argentinian, 30+ appearances.

Neal Maupay qualifies to play for Argentina as one of his parents is from there.
I'm sure I remember Taricco either coming on because someone got sent off or getting sent off himself at Watford away when Chris Iwelumo scored twice against us as well.

Edit: I may have got most aspects of this wrong actually, my memory is shite, but I do remember seeing him play when we lost against Watford at least!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

There are subtle differences I think and a ‘buy out’ is a form of ‘release’ from an existing contract, so confusing similarities (But as said above I’m not an expert in this area and don’t know a lot about football contracts!) From what I understand - In a ‘buy out’ this can be apart from a transfer transaction - a player with an agreed ‘buy out’ in his contract can unilaterally terminate the contract with existing club for a pre-determined compensation fee and become a free agent rather like you agreeing to pay a utility company an exit fee if you end your contract early (it doesn’t depend on a negotiating relationship with a new utility company in order for the exit fee to become payable to your existing supplier)

“The parties may, however, stipulate in the contract the amount that the player shall pay to the club as compensation in order to unilaterally terminate the contract (a so-called buyout clause). The advantage of this clause is that the parties mutually agree on the amount at the very beginning and fix this in the contract. By paying this amount to the club, the player is entitled to unilaterally terminate the employment contract. With this buyout clause, the parties agree to give the player the opportunity to cancel the contract at any moment and without a valid reason, i.e. also during the protected period, and as such, no sporting sanctions may be imposed on the player as a result of the premature termination.”

A ‘Release Clause’

…is a clause in a player’s contract that, subject to qualifying conditions (i.e. a particular transfer window or non-participation in the Champions League), automatically requires a club to accept an offer of a pre-determined contractual amount expressly set out in the contract from the offering club. If the minimum amount stipulated in the contract is triggered by a the purchasing club, the player will be entitled to speak to that club.

Thus, a ‘Release Clause’ in the narrow sense, requires a 3rd party activation (ie by the offering club) and the obligation is on the registered club to then sell the player for the pre-determined contractual ‘release’ amount stipulated in the players contract..(if the player agrees of course) and can only be completed in one or two a transfer windows as opposed to at any time with a Buy Out Clause.
Blimey. Can you explain this in 3 words or less?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1). Ulloa.
It’s Federico Turienzo, years earlier.
I’m going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt though, and presume he meant first ARGENTINA player, rather than first Argentine.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Release clauses is something players want to written in to their contracts. Not clubs, but clubs might agree to it if e.g. the contract is running out in the not too distant future (which was the case with Alexis) to convince them to extend their contract.

Because essentially it is a guarantee that they can move if they are good enough, because someone will (probably) meet the fee if they do really well. We can imagine negotiations with Alexis going something like this:

TB: "Hey Alexis your value is decreasing and you can leave on a free transfer in 18 months so we'd like to extend your contract with four years, of course with a wage raise."
Alexis: "No bro, if I win the World Cup or something I don't want to sit around here until 2025 or 2026 while you turn down decent bids from Barcelona and PSG and stuff."
TB: "Ok but how about if we include a release clause so that we'd need to accept a realistic fee for you. How about £100m?"
Alexis: "Yeah I was thinking like £40m and a couple of training kits or something youknow..."
TB: "How about £75m then?"
...and so forth. The player wants it to be as low as possible, the club wants it to be as high as possible. This is the same sort of clause that exists in Spanish contracts (though it is mandatory there due to employment laws).

A ‘Release Clause’

Yes a buy-out clause is indeed that, it makes the player a free agent. These are very uncommon in football because it leaves one of the parties without real protection. Cases it could be used by the club is if the player for example is very injury prone and the club is still willing to give him a chance but wants the option to tell him to f*** off if he does his ACL or something. Then the club can use its buy-out clause to tell him to go do his rehab at St Elsewhere.

Even more unusual is the player having a buyout clause because they're paying out of their own pocket to be released by a club.
It does happen on occasion when fancy player moves to smaller leagues: lets say AC leaves Brighton on a free transfer in the summer 2024. He gets a decent offer from Shamrock Rovers, they tell him he needs to sign in three days though because they desperately need a striker, otherwise they will go for another option. Connolly is hoping he will get a deal with a Championship team instead, but doesn't dare to wait and watch the opportunity go away. He can then tell Shamrock "ok, I'll sign but I want to be able to buy myself out of the contract if another opportunity comes along", because there is a chance that while no Championship club might want to pay a transfer free for his services, they may be tempted to sign him if he is a free agent. If Shamrock agrees that he can have his buyout clause as long as they get to ehhh enjoy his services in the meanwhile, he can compensate them (like paying back whatever his earned or something) and move to the Championship club.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
(continued on another thread)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports