Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I'd love to see Mac Allister do well. Obviously he did well for Boca and the Argentina U23s.
And of course his part in the Arsenal goal (pretty sure he was only brought on to waste time!).

If we can find a way to tap into and nurture that talent obviously it could be great for him and great for the club.

The physical nature of the Prem shouldn't stop him excelling in dead-ball situations. Which he's not been at his best, sadly.

He looks like he's always smiling but it must be quite hard to be ripped away from his homeland, friends & Argentinian football at a moments notice (in January), moved halfway across the world, face a global pandemic, adjust to Premier League football, etc. at the age of 21.

Having said that I don't think he lacks ambition, mindset, talent or the desire to conquer this challenge.
It's a test for him and for the coaching team.

He needs a good game and/or a goal to kick-start some momentum.

I haven't written him off yet, and hope he gets more opportunities for game time.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So a young player who arrived on the cusp of a global pandemic.
Was locked down in a new country for months.
Returned to football.
Second assist the goal that set the tone for the return.
Is currently a squad player in the most compact season ever.
Has already said 'hes surprised at the difference in pace of the game'.

now looks off the pace and needs to prove himself v Portsmouth.

Jeeeeeeasus wept.

Deary me have you considered a career as a political spin dr?

Talk about taking various valid observations and spinning it into a different narrative! Stat has gone rogue!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He's so young still, and has the talent. Give him time and confidence.

I think everyone agrees with this? The difference is having seen his sublime performances for Boca and the Argie U21’s we all hoped he was going to come in and carry on in that vein, hasn’t happened yet, though totally accept country, culture, league makes that hard. To say he’s off the pace of the PL at this time doesn’t mean you do t accept the reasons why that could be, or that there’s a great player in there, who could be fantastic in time.

Over to Stat to spin it!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think everyone agrees with this? The difference is having seen his sublime performances for Boca and the Argie U21’s we all hoped he was going to come in and carry on in that vein, hasn’t happened yet, though totally accept country, culture, league makes that hard. To say he’s off the pace of the PL at this time doesn’t mean you do t accept the reasons why that could be, or that there’s a great player in there, who could be fantastic in time.

Over to Stat to spin it!

I can't believe anybody actually expected him to do that. It was ridiculous. The Argentinian League is about League One level. It was always going to take him at least a season to adapt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Over to Stat to spin it!

It just isn't/shouldn't even be a discussion and shouldn't be a discussion for quite some time yet.
As said earlier, once it starts it's all pervasive on NSC and before the end of the month we'll be in the "not even a footballer" zone.

It would be nice if once, just once, 'we' looked at the whole picture and collectively thought:-

'It's too soon to start this shite'.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That comparison...

What comparison? Did any of those 4 not flop here? Did anyone say A Macc has flopped? No.

But it does happen on occasions where good players in another league look distinctly average in the PL, often cited as because of pace of it and physicality. Doesn’t make anybody a bad player, just some are suited more to certain types of leagues.

A Macc looked awesome in Argentina, here’s hoping he’s awesome here in time too, technically very gifted...... but many have come, tried and not achieved, that doesn’t make them crap (except Locadia!)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It just isn't/shouldn't even be a discussion and shouldn't be a discussion for quite some time yet.
As said earlier, once it starts it's all pervasive on NSC and before the end of the month we'll be in the "not even a footballer" zone.

It would be nice if once, just once, 'we' looked at the whole picture and collectively thought:-

'It's too soon to start this shite'.

What shite? There is none bro :shrug: nobody criticising or saying anything bad at all by looks of it, understand fully the difficulty of the move, pandemic, league, culture etc takes time. He is obvs a great player, time will tell if he is here, I would not slag him off ......I agree his flick v arse was good, it’s an honest observation to say he’s look a bit off the pace in the few appearances thus far (accepting reasons why), that’s not to write him off or slag him off, maybe Potter thought same v Chelsea? Whether he becomes a regular here and a star or fringe, he’s a cracking technically gifted player 100%. The PL pace I’d guess though is tough for the young fella, and I’ll be supporting him vociferously.

Don’t be precious he’s a big boy, obvs needs a season at least and nobody is slating him.

Reverse question; is he already everything you hoped he would be having seem him on fire in Argie land? Bet the answer isnt yes!

We all wish him success I’m sure.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can't believe anybody actually expected him to do that. It was ridiculous. The Argentinian League is about League One level. It was always going to take him at least a season to adapt.

If you saw the excitement on here when we paid his exit fee, (us having performed a bit crap pre lockdown) I honestly think many here did pin a lot of hope on the young guys shoulders.

You’re probably right though, that it was unrealistic expectation.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you saw the excitement on here when we paid his exit fee, (us having performed a bit crap pre lockdown) I honestly think many here did pin a lot of hope on the young guys shoulders.

You’re probably right though, that it was unrealistic expectation.

I did, and said numerous times that it was ridiculous!

I think he'll be good for us, but he's going to be a squad player for a year or so while he gets used to the Premier League.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have turned into very demanding whingers since we arrived in the PL. The quality of footballers we are seeing is light years ahead of what I’ve seen in the 45 years I’ve been watching but it’s just not good enough and nor are the players for so many. It’s quite possible that we have reached our zenith imo, just enjoy it :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have turned into very demanding whingers since we arrived in the PL. The quality of footballers we are seeing is light years ahead of what I’ve seen in the 45 years I’ve been watching but it’s just not good enough and nor are the players for so many. It’s quite possible that we have reached our zenith imo, just enjoy it :shrug:

Being in a big money-environment does that to people...

Fortunately (and a bit ironically) the capitalist funding the club seems pretty determined to creating a sustainable club where the academy is the core - saving your souls and saving football. Hopefully after a few years with Tony, Dan and GP carrying out this vision, there will be more talk about who the next dirty good youth player will be rather than all the wet dreams of buying obscene players for obscene money. Hopefully more clubs will follow that example. Current PL is not good for the clubs and its not good for society.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
the wet dreams of buying obscene players for obscene money...

We used to regularly buy/loan obscene players, mate. Off the top of my head I remember seeing Michael useless c*** Mahoney Johnson, Ashley useless c*nt Neal, Jason useless c*nt Peake etc etc. You get the drift.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here