[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would be fascinated to hear from someone like @El Presidente about how creative we are going to get with our accounts to avoid massive tax bills. I am PAYE so know nothing about it. I assume with all of these player sales that we will make a profit in the financial year so will we be paying off debt etc?

Obviously I hope he stays but it feels likely that he won’t!
Probably not as much as you might think…….still buying players, spending money on the ground and we were making heavy losses every season anyway. 21/22 season accounts aren’t out yet (think we usually report in March) so will be interesting - we lost over £50m in 20/21 (nearer 70m in 19/20) but the sale of White wasn’t included in those numbers. Could arguably look at it and say one big player sale per season means we break even……..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bet his agent feels like a right mug agreeing that new deal.

Barbs not missing a trick of course, straight on the radio to get everyone gushing about our world cup win
Have you read the details of the deal, then? Because my guess is there'll be a relatively realistic buyout clause in there, alongside a big salary increase for Ali Mac at the same time.

Yeah, what an absolute PLUM! :facepalm:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
4ECF788B-F75D-4F43-A5C0-CBB92825D9D5.jpeg

No nonsense off the pitch it seems either!

I’m lead to believe there maybe a translation issue!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Probably not as much as you might think…….still buying players, spending money on the ground and we were making heavy losses every season anyway. 21/22 season accounts aren’t out yet (think we usually report in March) so will be interesting - we lost over £50m in 20/21 (nearer 70m in 19/20) but the sale of White wasn’t included in those numbers. Could arguably look at it and say one big player sale per season means we break even……..
20-21 was a Covid season, so income was down about 20m on a normal year with full match day income. Also last year we finished 7 places higher, which is approx an extra £15m. Amortisation will be up about 10m with all the players bought in but we had transfer income of about 70m so would guess we'd be looking at a profit in the region of £30-35m.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
6C4E0DEA-19A9-47B4-B54D-89CB00FF65D8.png
I would be fascinated to hear from someone like @El Presidente about how creative we are going to get with our accounts to avoid massive tax bills. I am PAYE so know nothing about it. I assume with all of these player sales that we will make a profit in the financial year so will we be paying off debt etc?

Obviously I hope he stays but it feels likely that he won’t!
The club have £276m of corporation tax losses brought forward to utilise.

The player profits essentially mitigate operating losses each financial year.

It’ll be many years before they pay CT.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Have you read the details of the deal, then? Because my guess is there'll be a relatively realistic buyout clause in there, alongside a big salary increase for Ali Mac at the same time.

Yeah, what an absolute PLUM! :facepalm:
Have we ever agreed a release clause before? Why would we now?

Having said that, the agent gets a cut of the fee doesn't he? So maybe it is rather Mac Allister himself who loses here, there won't be a rush of clubs looking to do a cut price deal for a world champion with 18 months left on his deal.

Either way, pretty sure Barber has played a blinder here

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Have we ever agreed a release clause before? Why would we now?

Having said that, the agent gets a cut of the fee doesn't he? So maybe it is rather Mac Allister himself who loses here, there won't be a rush of clubs looking to do a cut price deal for a world champion with 18 months left on his deal.

Either way, pretty sure Barber has played a blinder here
Because it would increase his value on the market.

Before he signed a new contract he had about 18 months left on his contract. Meaning he could leave Bissouma-cheaply next summer (£30-35m) or for free in 2023. If his new contract (2025+1) has a release fee of £50m+, Brighton will get more money than with his old contract.

I don't really see a world where he a few weeks before the World Cup signs a new contract that could force him to stay for four more years. Unless he and his agents are idiots, there must be something like a release clause or similar baked into the deal.

Of course it is preferable to avoid these clauses but sometimes you have to make exceptions if you don't want players to leave on a free transfer etc. Similar to how TB does not want to buy players in January but still sometimes its the right thing to do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just to be clear I don't think he's a top 6 starter every week. He's still a very good player though.
Agreed he will not walk into a top six team, he will have to wait his chance and game time will be limited until he establishes himself, unless it’s someone like Liverpool where Klopp might chuck him straight in given their ageing midfield.

But he’s a WC winner and one of the star players so who knows :shrug:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Apologies if this has already been posted anywhere (I couldnt see it)

”Brighton hope "it won't be a problem for a couple of years" when it comes to keeping hold of Alexis Mac Allister, says chief executive Paul Barber.” 😍😍😍 if true 🤷‍♂️

Edit - and when was the last time BBC Sport ran a whole long story exclusively on any Brighton player - we’re usually lucky if the whole Club gets a post-PL match report. How great is that - I feel I’m part of some hallowed hall of fame moment supporting Brighton these days! What a fantastic achievement for the Club.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed he will not walk into a top six team, he will have to wait his chance and game time will be limited until he establishes himself
He just won the World Cup, starting 6 out of 7 games, getting a man-of-the-match award in the do or die game against Poland and assisting to a goal in the final.

... and you're telling me the bloke wouldn't be a starter in a team where Scott McTominay has started half of the games or where Ruben Loftus-Cheek starts week-in-week-out. Yeah I dunno...

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Can someone please tot up what the total income has been for BHA from this world cup? - I’m not sure of the individual breakdown of daily rates, who was there and for how long etc (and shite at maths 🙂)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He just won the World Cup, starting 6 out of 7 games, getting a man-of-the-match award in the do or die game against Poland and assisting to a goal in the final.

... and you're telling me the bloke wouldn't be a starter in a team where Scott McTominay has started half of the games or where Ruben Loftus-Cheek starts week-in-week-out. Yeah I dunno...

Time will tell and I really doubt he’d touch Manchester United with a barge poll if he has any sense. Would he walk into a Pep team, I doubt it. If he has any sense he won’t reunite with GP at toxic Chelsea and he wouldn‘t just walk into Arsenal either. He’d also be a mug to go to Spurs too.

He needs to stay here :smile:

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Otamendi , tagliafico , Alvarez , enzo Martinez also start and I wouldnt bet on them starting games for a top 6 team. (Alvarez doesn't already)

Hopefully we won't find out. Much more sense for him to stay here another couple years

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Otamendi , tagliafico , Alvarez , enzo Martinez also start and I wouldnt bet on them starting games for a top 6 team. (Alvarez doesn't already)

Hopefully we won't find out. Much more sense for him to stay here another couple years
Depends on which top 6 team, doesnt it? E.g. Julio Alvarez would start 365 days a year for Manchester United.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Because it would increase his value on the market.

Before he signed a new contract he had about 18 months left on his contract. Meaning he could leave Bissouma-cheaply next summer (£30-35m) or for free in 2023. If his new contract (2025+1) has a release fee of £50m+, Brighton will get more money than with his old contract.

I don't really see a world where he a few weeks before the World Cup signs a new contract that could force him to stay for four more years. Unless he and his agents are idiots, there must be something like a release clause or similar baked into the deal.

Of course it is preferable to avoid these clauses but sometimes you have to make exceptions if you don't want players to leave on a free transfer etc. Similar to how TB does not want to buy players in January but still sometimes its the right thing to do.
Probably worth adding the contract renewal was signed before the World Cup and anyone knowing the outcome.

If and a big If, there’s a release clause it’s not going to be mutually beneficial anymore to both parties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports