[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Not really. A release cause is also a committment to the player that we will sell him at a certain price and not stand in his way - and if there's more than one team in for him, he gets to choose.
how is that any different from our current transfer policy? the whole 'not standing in the way' thing is pretty much our bottom line, is it not? so as I said, a formal recognition between club and player that he can go for x price, as opposed to verbal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
how is that any different from our current transfer policy? the whole 'not standing in the way' thing is pretty much our bottom line, is it not? so as I said, a formal recognition between club and player that he can go for x price, as opposed to verbal
No it isn't. Nothing like it. Not even close.
With no release clause, we can turn round and say, 'You're not going'. With a release clause, we can't. That's about as different as it gets! It also precludes a bidding war, which is a shame from our point of view, but it's never happened yet - besides, if the release clause is set high enough, it's not really a problem and we'll get an appropriate wedge.
It is a (written) obligation to the player - not a gentleman's agreement.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
It is a (written) obligation to the player - not a gentleman's agreement.
That's what i meant!! perhaps poor wording but that is what i meant by 'formal recognition'. i.e there's no way for us to backtrack as it is there written in ink, though I'm not convinced we'd do that anyway. If a player has a price we'd sell them at, then that's that, whether via a releasea clause or merely our word to the player that we wouldn't stand in the way

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's what i meant!! perhaps poor wording but that is what i meant by 'formal recognition'. i.e there's no way for us to backtrack as it is there written in ink, though I'm not convinced we'd do that anyway. If a player has a price we'd sell them at, then that's that, whether via a releasea clause or merely our word to the player that we wouldn't stand in the way
You don't see the difference between a written contract and an unwritten verbal agreement? Really?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

"Mac Allister [senior] speaks warmly of Brighton and of a future in which Alexis continues in the Premier League, stats he runs through underlining his evolution, especially since shifting position. "

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, but that would normally be in relation to their contract salary and duration - Potter reportedly was on £2m a year, so even a full buyout/compo would have been around £10m, not the £20m+ we got - so TB clearly does do release clauses……

"Mac Allister [senior] speaks warmly of Brighton and of a future in which Alexis continues in the Premier League, stats he runs through underlining his evolution, especially since shifting position. "
That's a great article

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yep, and if was a question of a new contract signed or refused, I'm sure Mac could have one included too. Having a rigid view to such things is pointless
Totally agree about keeping it flexible . We had a policy of not taking loanees but that changed this year. Do what is right not what the policy says....that also how you make your first billion...

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You don't see the difference between a written contract and an unwritten verbal agreement? Really?
Be fair. It happens. Dibley believed Beaky when he said "sign the 5 year contract and we'll let you leave next year".

Staying with the wankpuffins for a moment, how funny will it be if one our our players were to score the goal that won a WC?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This thread contains posters making the claim that 'Tony would never do X', and 'Tony holds all the hands'. When it comes to contracts, Tony is well aware that it's a negotiation between two (or sometimes more) parties, and both parties hold cards. Tony's skill is he is very astute at summarising the situation, and using his hand as effectively as possible: timing of contract negotiations, offers is one of the key cards in his hand, and he plays it brilliantly.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
depends how good you think the clubs word is. obviously there's less room for manoeuvre when it's written down, but I honestly believe if we verbally said a player could leave for x price and then we got an offer at x price we would let them go.

my point overall in this situation is that I can't see that having a clause would screw us out of loads of money in a way that it has done for other clubs previously. take demba ba for example, had scored 13 in 20 for newcastle but left for chelsea for a measly £7 million due to a release clause. that won't be happening here, and any release clause in Mac's new deal would probably be around the figure we'd want to sell him for anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This made me laugh in an online article I read this morning about the importance of Albion holding onto players in January

"then you have Graham Potter and Chelsea, whose only transfer policy seems to be getting their hands on anything not nailed down at the Amex. Who knows how many players they will try and poach?"

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Legally, in the UK there isn't a difference. An unwritten verbal agreement still counts as a binding contract under UK law.

Of course, it will be harder to enforce in the event one party to that verbal contract reneges as it becomes more difficult to prove the contract existed.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Whilst constantly losing our best players certainly isn’t ideal, it’s a much nicer situation to be in than most clubs. There is not one single player I want to lose from this squad - all of the dead wood is gone. We are fresh, dynamic and a constant machine under Uncle Tony’s statistical magic and the large recruitment team.

Back in my day, growing up in the 90’s with the worst Albion side in history, almost every single one of our players left us to play non-league football. Now they are leaving to join the best teams in the world for figures which would’ve made my head explode.

I think we all know the reality of moneyball. When the offer is right from the right club, with the right need and the disposable income, any single one of our players will go onto bigger things.

In the next few years - perhaps sooner - we are likely to lose MacAllister, Caicedo and Trossard as a minimum. Possibly Sanchez too. Then Groß and Welbeck are winding down.

There will be a lot of signings by us in the next year I think - getting the conveyor belt going, working through work permits/acclimatisation/development with the next talents. Buy one for £5-10m, sell one for £30-50m. This is the model and we need to accept it.

I’m just enjoying it while it lasts and expect every single player to give 100% in the stripes while they are here. When the offer comes in, cheerio, onto the next one.

Sustainability is the goal. We are massively improving and overperforming in every single metric, ultimately leading us to our league position.

Still need a striker to lead the line, though. ;)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst constantly losing our best players certainly isn’t ideal, it’s a much nicer situation to be in than most clubs. There is not one single player I want to lose from this squad - all of the dead wood is gone. We are fresh, dynamic and a constant machine under Uncle Tony’s statistical magic and the large recruitment team.

Back in my day, growing up in the 90’s with the worst Albion side in history, almost every single one of our players left us to play non-league football. Now they are leaving to join the best teams in the world for figures which would’ve made my head explode.

I think we all know the reality of moneyball. When the offer is right from the right club, with the right need and the disposable income, any single one of our players will go onto bigger things.

In the next few years - perhaps sooner - we are likely to lose MacAllister, Caicedo and Trossard as a minimum. Possibly Sanchez too. Then Groß and Welbeck are winding down.

There will be a lot of signings by us in the next year I think - getting the conveyor belt going, working through work permits/acclimatisation/development with the next talents. Buy one for £5-10m, sell one for £30-50m. This is the model and we need to accept it.

I’m just enjoying it while it lasts and expect every single player to give 100% in the stripes while they are here. When the offer comes in, cheerio, onto the next one.

Sustainability is the goal. We are massively improving and overperforming in every single metric, ultimately leading us to our league position.

Still need a striker to lead the line, though. ;)
Yep………and as time goes buy there are fewer and fewer teams that are a more attractive option for a player than us, so we’ll either let players go because they’re not good enough (and likely still make money on them) or get top dollar from the almost literal handful of clubs that represent a step up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Destiny. A seagull on his t-shirt if I’m not mistaken.
317C4646-1D4C-427B-886F-6EDAA8FC263A.jpeg

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Well done Alexis on doing so fantastically and good luck on Sunday, but being selfish what are the chances he plays on 26th at St Marys?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports