[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm sure Uncle Tony ran the math on this and like how he made it LARGE when France beat Brazil, knew Argentina would be right up there and possibly win it making Mac even more valuable. Not going to put my house on it, but the winnings I made on France 2-1 is going on Argentina.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Mac is one of those players that I really wouldn't mind if he left in January. Not because I don't rate him - he's a wonderful player, but because he has been a total gent his entire time here. I don't actually believe in the idea of players owing clubs anything and I'd never stand in the way of a player wanting to progress their career. For me, the only move he'd make is to a bigger and better club and he deserves that. It will happen eventually and I wish him all the luck in the world.
Now is the time to cash-in on him, for sure. I hope Argentina win it so I can go back in time to the younger me standing in the North for my last Goldstone game before going backpacking (4-4 v Leyton Orient, what a game) and say mate, in the future, Albion will have a current WC Winner in the midfield! This info I'm sure would freak younger me out more than a visit from a scraggily looking older me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, and if was a question of a new contract signed or refused, I'm sure Mac could have one included too. Having a rigid view to such things is pointless
That was my thinking - Ali was in a fairly strong position to negotiate his new contract so wouldn't be surprised at all if a release clause was agreed. Doubt we'll ever know though

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Potter had one.....
Fair point. I still can't see us accepting release clause that would allow a mid-season player transfer though. I'm going to guess that the main motivation behind Mac's new contract was a significant increase in £££ from his original deal back in 2019.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fair point. I still can't see us accepting release clause that would allow a mid-season player transfer though. I'm going to guess that the main motivation behind Mac's new contract was a significant increase in £££ from his original deal back in 2019.
Or did he only sign it with a release clause, else the cards were in his favour to walk away free end of next season and get himself a big signing on fee somewhere

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Hopefully, if there is one, a release clause that only comes into effect after a couple of years

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Given the effort to get him here, we've not seen enough of him.

However, the club will want to balance that by being able to say to the next one by reference to AM that when they say he can go to build his career, he can.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
in this case wouldn't a release clause just be a formal recognition of what our transfer policy currently is anyway? as I understand, if a club meets the fee for the release clause, we are bound to accept it and that's all it really details (ignoring any small print, about when the clause might be effective, for example)

is that not just exactly the same arrangement as what we have currently, whereby if a club meets our chosen figure, and not a penny less, then the player will be allowed to move on?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Papers full of him offski….looks like the European big guns are lining up.

I can see him ending up at Barca or Real Madrid although my mate who watches German footy a lot seems to think that Bayern are favourites to sign him in January

I wonder how many of our “ el galacticos “ will still be with us at the end of january
All of them I reckon.

The summer will be a different matter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
in this case wouldn't a release clause just be a formal recognition of what our transfer policy currently is anyway? as I understand, if a club meets the fee for the release clause, we are bound to accept it and that's all it really details (ignoring any small print, about when the clause might be effective, for example)

is that not just exactly the same arrangement as what we have currently, whereby if a club meets our chosen figure, and not a penny less, then the player will be allowed to move on?
Puts a guarantee on the value…….and even if they get to a year left, anyone wanting to buy would potentially still have to meet the release clause so avoids losing players at lower fees nearing the end of their deals ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Potter had one.....
Managers are different to players. Managers can resign and leave at any time ( maybe with a bit of gardening leave ). Players can only leave if the club agrees ( ie gets a fee ) or at the end of contract.

I doubt there are many Managers without "release clauses" ( in reality set compensation if they resign ).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managers are different to players. Managers can resign and leave at any time ( maybe with a bit of gardening leave ). Players can only leave if the club agrees ( ie gets a fee ) or at the end of contract.

I doubt there are many Managers without "release clauses" ( in reality set compensation if they resign ).
Yes, but that would normally be in relation to their contract salary and duration - Potter reportedly was on £2m a year, so even a full buyout/compo would have been around £10m, not the £20m+ we got - so TB clearly does do release clauses……

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, but that would normally be in relation to their contract salary and duration - Potter reportedly was on £2m a year, so even a full buyout/compo would have been around £10m, not the £20m+ we got - so TB clearly does do release clauses……
Its a different thing though. Without a clause for the manager, you'll get less money - some tribunal will decide the value and it won't be fat. A clause for a player generally means you'll risk getting less than you would if he didn't have a clause.

That said, wouldn't be shocked if there was a clause in Ali Macs new contract. While I think Brighton generally try to avoid buyout clauses, of course there can still be situations where it is the best option available. Its the same as "Tony Bloom doesn't like buying players in January"... well, might be true but it has happened a number of times anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not really. A release cause is also a committment to the player that we will sell him at a certain price and not stand in his way - and if there's more than one team in for him, he gets to choose. Not much in it for the club (although of course we'll set the bar pretty high) but it's an inducement for a player to sign a contract - and with a saught after player with a burgeoning reputation nearing the end of a contract, such an inducement might be the deal clincher!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its a different thing though. Without a clause for the manager, you'll get less money - some tribunal will decide the value and it won't be fat. A clause for a player generally means you'll risk getting less than you would if he didn't have a clause.

That said, wouldn't be shocked if there was a clause in Ali Macs new contract. While I think Brighton generally try to avoid buyout clauses, of course there can still be situations where it is the best option available. Its the same as "Tony Bloom doesn't like buying players in January"... well, might be true but it has happened a number of times anyway.
I Know. Pretty rare for anything to go to a tribunal in the case of manager moves…

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Seeing as we are now well known to maximise returns I don’t see an issue with release clauses, it’s obviously a useful tool for both parties and mutually beneficial for extending contracts

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
But it's a 4 way competition for him, don't you all understand. Europe's top clubs don't employ scouts, they just wait till the World Cup to see who's good at football and fight it out for them. It's clear that no one had ever seen any of our players before, it's not like any of them appeared at Old Trafford or Anfield this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports