Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I have no issue with it either. But if and when a player politely refuses to sign a new or extended contract, there is nothing even an astute business man like TB can do about it.

Well he can offer them a better one.

And as far as we can tell - has TB anyone in the squad who is actually doing this ? I make it only Maupay or Mac now who have 1 year left and at risk of running down their contracts and there’s really nothing to suggest why that won’t be settled this summer. Is there ? So this really is a bit confected. Interesting and maybe TB is up against it in a few seasons with Caicedo and Sarmiento threatening to walk away but hardly a pressing issue.
The biggest example of this in the PL this summer led to Mo Sarah…signing a new contract.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

And as far as we can tell - has TB anyone in the squad who is actually doing this ? I make it only Maupay or Mac now who have 1 year left and at risk of running down their contracts and there’s really nothing to suggest why that won’t be settled this summer. Is there ? So this really is a bit confected. Interesting but hardly a pressing issue.

You keep in insisting on using the present as an abslutely certain model for the future. Yes, we have two major players entering the last year of their contracts at the moment. They may or may not sign new or extended contracts - you remauin very optiminstic, which is fine, and I hope you're right.
Maupay and Mac may stay. Bissouma didn't, so he had to be sold at a lower price than we would have hoped for had he not been coming towards the end of his contract. Are you seriously saying that that situation will never arise again? Of course it will - and I guess it's a part of the calculated risk strategy that TB takes. The calculation will be based. I imagine, on the pprojected number of players who sign an extended contract compared to the proportion who don't play ball - and based on those percentages TB (and Brighton) will come out on top.
I don't have a problem with that - do you?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You keep in insisting on using the present as an abslutely certain model for the future. Yes, we have two major players entering the last year of their contracts at the moment. They may or may not sign new or extended contracts - you remauin very optiminstic, which is fine, and I hope you're right.
Maupay and Mac may stay. Bissouma didn't, so he had to be sold at a lower price than we would have hoped for had he not been coming towards the end of his contract. Are you seriously saying that that situation will never arise again? Of course it will - and I guess it's a part of the calculated risk strategy that TB takes. The calculation will be based. I imagine, on the pprojected number of players who sign an extended contract compared to the proportion who don't play ball - and based on those percentages TB (and Brighton) will come out on top.
I don't have a problem with that - do you?

It almost certainly will - so absolutely agreed. I’m quite comfortable about it cos I can’t foresee , for now at least, where it’s coming from in the short/ medium term.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

And as far as we can tell - has TB anyone in the squad who is actually doing this ? I make it only Maupay or Mac now who have 1 year left and at risk of running down their contracts and there’s really nothing to suggest why that won’t be settled this summer. Is there ? So this really is a bit confected. Interesting and maybe TB is up against it in a few seasons with Caicedo and Sarmiento threatening to walk away but hardly a pressing issue.
The biggest example of this in the PL this summer led to Mo Sarah…signing a new contract.

That Neal Maupay might not be too keen on spending the next 3-5 years on the bench is something that suggests he might not want to sign a contract that means he will have to do exactly that.

That Mac for the last six months played like someone who will be playing in a very big club fairly soon suggests he might be keen on playing in a very big club fairly soon, like in a year when his contract runs out, suggests he might not want to sign a new contract.

Ignoring these two very obvious things, I agree with you completely.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If we continue to have success in recruitment, the result will be that we have players in our squad that bigger clubs want and will pay big money for. At that point we have to allow them to progress (as they see it), pocket the change and repeat the process; offer significantly bigger contracts (which will have a knock-on effect on morale); or satisfy their ambitions in other ways (get into Europe).

Of course, another possibility is to sign players that nobody else wants. Which is what we have done for most of our history, and I found those seasons less enjoyable than the ones we're living through now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

. . . and Sadio Mane turning one down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The way this thread has gone with discussion of contracts running down seems as good a place as any to post this:

[tweet]1546048551272185856[/tweet]

Essentially, clubs aren't so willing to spend big on free agents at the moment - limited funds being a major point, but also not wanting to upset squads, etc. Highlights lack of bidding war for players such as lingaard (only west ham have offered him anything) is taking some of the power away. It's a mildly interesting counter point to last season where it seemed there was a trend of running contracts down to give more power to players (if you're not in contract, teams won't have to pay big budget transfer fees on top of your deal, so more may enter a bidding war).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If this turns out to be a trend, potentially good news. Along with some lower than might have been expected transfer fees this summer (Phillips, Jesus, Sterling) there is hope that the bubble, if still a long way from bursting, isn't expanding as rapidly as it used to.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The way this thread has gone with discussion of contracts running down seems as good a place as any to post this:

Essentially, clubs aren't so willing to spend big on free agents at the moment - limited funds being a major point, but also not wanting to upset squads, etc. Highlights lack of bidding war for players such as lingaard (only west ham have offered him anything) is taking some of the power away. It's a mildly interesting counter point to last season where it seemed there was a trend of running contracts down to give more power to players (if you're not in contract, teams won't have to pay big budget transfer fees on top of your deal, so more may enter a bidding war).

That is interesting. Worth looking out for whether this becomes a sustained trend, or more down to certain players and their expectations this window.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Or maybe it's cos Lingard is actually a little bit shite.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is interesting. Worth looking out for whether this becomes a sustained trend, or more down to certain players and their expectations this window.

I suppose there is still an element of suspicion about players ending up out of contract. Why didn't the club try harder to keep him; is he somehow a bit troublesome - does he unsettle other players when he's unhappy with not starting, does he have a bad attitude generally, does he have issues outside football that cause a distraction etc.; is he asking for too much money - if Man Utd can't afford to pay him what he wants (especially given how much they can waste on squad players), how could a club like Brighton afford him with our wage constraints? Surely they could better anything most clubs could offer.

Perhaps if it continues, more teams will see their own decent players slip away and go places for similar or less than they offered and start to accept players are out of contract through their choice and that it isn't an indication of any of the above. Or perhaps the struggles of these players will make others more inclined to stay and re-sign on new deals that are offered.

Or maybe it's cos Lingard is actually a little bit shite.

I'm sure that's an element. I don't recognise all the names listed in the article because I have a terrible awareness of other teams players. But the names I recognised (Pogba's deal to Juventus taking longer was noted with a suggestion that the delay indicated Pogba hoping for/expecting more interest, Luis Suarez) also had reputation issues as well. Perhaps it's all just a coincidence that a large number of such players are the free agent list this year.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
:lolol: you are quoting one who has been grizzling for years about it

Pointing out the obvious gap in our squad. Yes. Pointing out our beloved club were consistently bidding for strikers whilst those idiots living on another planet were denying one was needed. Guilty. Saying we should spend £40 million or similar on a striker. Never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That Neal Maupay might not be too keen on spending the next 3-5 years on the bench is something that suggests he might not want to sign a contract that means he will have to do exactly that.

That Mac for the last six months played like someone who will be playing in a very big club fairly soon suggests he might be keen on playing in a very big club fairly soon, like in a year when his contract runs out, suggests he might not want to sign a new contract.

Ignoring these two very obvious things, I agree with you completely.

Whereas I would say Mac is definitely not ready for a Big 6 club yet, and Maupay won’t climb higher than here so both should want to stay.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whereas I would say Mac is definitely not ready for a Big 6 club yet, and Maupay won’t climb higher than here so both should want to stay.

We'll see if Alexis feels the same way after - in the span of about a month - being an important part in the Brighton team that beat three of the top six teams he allegedly "definitely isn't ready for".

We'll also see if Neal feels he will never accomplish more than sitting on the bench for Brighton.

I have a feeling none of these guys feel like you do, and that is why they have less than a year left on their contracts.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We'll see if Alexis feels the same way after - in the span of about a month - being an important part in the Brighton team that beat three of the top six teams he allegedly "definitely isn't ready for".

We'll also see if Neal feels he will never accomplish more than sitting on the bench for Brighton.

I have a feeling none of these guys feel like you do, and that is why they have less than a year left on their contracts.

We will see… I like both players BTW… absolutely no guarantee that Mac is Big 6 ready despite good performances last season. Absolutely no guarantee Maupay will be benched either. Yet you post like these things are dead certs. Utter nonsense as usual.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We will see… I like both players BTW… absolutely no guarantee that Mac is Big 6 ready despite good performances last season. Absolutely no guarantee Maupay will be benched either. Yet you post like these things are dead certs. Utter nonsense as usual.

I like both players as well and would love them to sign new contracts.

But this all strikes me as the same kind of wishful thinking as last year when plenty still thought Bissouma could sign a new contract... with some of those believing the same thing just a few months ago.

There are very limited reasons why Maupay and Mac would sign new contracts now rather than to wait a year and see what the market has to offer.

I still have a minor hope Ali Mac will sign a new deal, but if it isnt done when the window closes I'm 100% certain it won't happen. Because I understand the football market.

In Maupays case it is the other way around. I'm 100% sure he won't sign a contract until the season starts, because he'll want to know if he is going to play regularly or not before committing to staying. If he starts the season well, and in the starting lineup, then maybe - but currently it is obvious it is out of the question. When you watch his energy, desire and personality, do you really think he'd sign up to sit 3-5 years on the bench?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You're cooking on gas today!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both sign extensions between now and probably more likely, September.

Oddly I'm now looking forward to the post Bissouma world.
I think Jocko is going to be integral in how we play box to box and will be offered a contract which represents that.

If (and with Maupay that's an) IF, everything is at face value, Maupay most definitely isn't benchfodder.
He's the only natural Premier League goal scorer we have in the squad.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You're cooking on gas today!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both sign extensions between now and probably more likely, September.

Oddly I'm now looking forward to the post Bissouma world.
I think Jocko is going to be integral in how we play box to box and will be offered a contract which represents that.

If (and with Maupay that's an) IF, everything is at face value, Maupay most definitely isn't benchfodder.
He's the only natural Premier League goal scorer we have in the squad.

8-10 a season is good. People are far too critical of Maupay on here. Welbs is quality and may be over his injury woes, but this is TBC. Undav - who knows? Enciso- who knows?. Ferguson - in development . As I say, no guarantee Maupay is benched.

I expect but don’t know Mac will be a top contributor consistently but also this is TBC.

Therefore, there are no certainties new contracts will be offered/signed or not signed. I suspect both players will be offered. Signing of contracts TBC but saying they definitely won’t is way way too negative

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here