Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its hardly unusual for a player with one year to go like Mac to be in negotiations the summer before and then agree to a new contract. Not sure - unless there’s reporting otherwise - why the outcome of a new contract is not the more likely scenario.

Well, unless you have a hotline to PB or someone else at the club, I'd agree with Swanny that, if it's not done this window and probably before the season starts, it won't happen.
I like Ali Mac, and think he was our most improved player last season, but it's players that are now in the strongest position. Not everything will go the way of the club, even one run as well as ours. If he doesn't sign, we've got a great return out of him for the fee paid, and he will be (yet another) example of the 'stepping stone' status of the club whereby joining leads on to richer, better positioned clubs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, unless you have a hotline to PB or someone else at the club, I'd agree with Swanny that, if it's not done this window and probably before the season starts, it won't happen.
I like Ali Mac, and think he was our most improved player last season, but it's players that are now in the strongest position. Not everything will go the way of the club, even one run as well as ours. If he doesn't sign, we've got a great return out of him for the fee paid, and he will be (yet another) example of the 'stepping stone' status of the club whereby joining leads on to richer, better positioned clubs.

Some say Chailey IS Paul Barber. Look at his join date and look at when PB arrived at the Albion, same year, same month :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Some say Chailey IS Paul Barber. Look at his join date and look at when PB arrived at the Albion, same year, same month :lolol:

Chailey did say at one point that he was paid to post, leaving it suitably ambiguous as to whether he was jesting or not. He is a BBC journalist, so it's not beyond the bounds of possiblity. Also, the vast majority of his posts are incredibly factual, and his interpretations are normally good too, although occasionally veers into the realms of B&HA boosterism.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Chailey did say at one point that he was paid to post, leaving it suitably ambiguous as to whether he was jesting or not. He is a BBC journalist, so it's not beyond the bounds of possiblity. Also, the vast majority of his posts are incredibly factual, and his interpretations are normally good too, although occasionally veers into the realms of B&HA boosterism.

He’s a good poster and very, possibly too level headed :smile:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I'm not sure Mac Allister is levels above Brighton that there will be huge clubs waiting to pounce on him if he runs down his contract. Its taken him a few years to establish him in the 1st team here.

A new improved contract here might be best for all party's IMO

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its hardly unusual for a player with one year to go like Mac to be in negotiations the summer before and then agree to a new contract. Not sure - unless there’s reporting otherwise - why the outcome of a new contract is not the more likely scenario.

Nope. It is quite rare that successful (young first team) players extend their contracts when there is less than 1 year left on the contract, unless they're already playing in one of the giant clubs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I was jesting !

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Ah I have information to the contrary of sorts
it seems we have a joint contact on the book of face He and I
So I think you may be wrong Not certain But quite possibly

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Hope so, but I’d go for realistic over negative. :shrug:

I’ll stick with wrong. There is a massive difference between where Biss was before he left and where Mac is. Biss had nothing left to prove the Big 6. Mac has not got there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yeh, sure they are. What they don't announce, and we don't know, is contracts offered. Have discussions taken place with Cucu and Mac, for example? Yes, I'm sure they will have been - but we don't know whether contracts have been offered, and not accepted. That's as it should be - doesn't mean we shouldn't have legitimate 'will he, won't he' discussions. That isn't attacking or criticising the club in any way.

It's a million miles away from the 'Bloom out if he doesn't get us a £40M striker' bollox!

Which NOBODY EVER SAID.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Yet again. Really!? White one year. Biss the next (so far)

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I'm not sure Mac Allister is levels above Brighton that there will be huge clubs waiting to pounce on him if he runs down his contract. Its taken him a few years to establish him in the 1st team here.

A new improved contract here might be best for all party's IMO

Is spot on

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Word for word, probably not - but if you think nobody on NSC has ever been grizzling about TB not breaking the bank for a striker you are delusional.

:lolol: you are quoting one who has been grizzling for years about it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What seemed like a new contract every year for Dunk was one thing - it was starting from a relatively low base level. The higher we go, the more players (and their agents) will ultimately have control, and will be looking for those big pay days.
If the likes of Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard and Moder just smile sweetly and politely say 'No thank you' whenever a new contract is presented to them, there is nothing we can do about it. Bissouma did; it is inevitable that some others will follow suit in the future. Best we don't get too wound up about it.
It won't happen all the time - maybe we'll offer new contracts earlier - that might work in some cases, but as with everything at this level, that costs money. All takes managing, with keeping within the wage structure an extra complication - although that's not something I'd wish us to abandon.

But highly regarded players sign new contracts all the time, for the obvious reason of a substantial pay rise, now. Unless imprisoned by Steve Parish or Danny Levy, it doesn’t stop them later moving on mid-contract, for a significant fee.

Rated players leaving clubs on a Bosman isn’t commonplace, players doing ‘a Bissouma’ leaving with one year remaining for half the potential fee still isn’t the norm.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We don't know yet. It's quite possible the club doesn't know if they will or they won't sign a new contract yet. It's equally possible that the club have offered new contracts - but we don't know about that either.

Will every player now go down 'The Bissouma route'? No.
At some point in the future, will another player go down 'The Bissouma route'? Yes, of course someone will.
Will someone one day in the future opt to run down their contract and leave on a free (with a massive signing on bonus)? Would you want to bet against it?

Isn't that the business model of the club nowadays, though? VERY crudely put – buy 'em cheap and young and then flog 'em for a huge profit?

That approach – plus TB's love of a gamble means that some 'bets' will pay off very handsomely (White and Bissouma, in recent seasons), while some won't (Ali J, Locadia of old and the hypothetical player(s) who will run down their contract(s).

I've no issue with it at all. But, as a businessman and as a fan of the club, there is no way Tony Bloom would let the player have all the power, or allow Albion to be screwed over by another club/player. IMO, like.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn't that the business model of the club nowadays, though? VERY crudely put – buy 'em cheap and young and then flog 'em for a huge profit?

That approach – plus TB's love of a gamble means that some 'bets' will pay off very handsomely (White and Bissouma, in recent seasons), while some won't (Ali J, Locadia of old and the hypothetical player(s) who will run down their contract(s).

I've no issue with it at all. But, as a businessman and as a fan of the club, there is no way Tony Bloom would let the player have all the power, or allow Albion to be screwed over by another club/player. IMO, like.

I have no issue with it either. But if and when a player politely refuses to sign a new or extended contract, there is nothing even an astute business man like TB can do about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here