[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pascal Gross about 2 weeks ago.

Yeah but if Bayern or Barca or Milan had any interest in him, he most likely wouldn't have a signed a new 2 year deal.

If Alexis MacAllister doesn't sign a new contract before the transfer window closes, I'm 100% certain he won't sign a new deal at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmm, not sure he was potentially coveted by any Big clubs which was more my point, but yes he is a star for us :thumbsup:

What seemed like a new contract every year for Dunk was one thing - it was starting from a relatively low base level. The higher we go, the more players (and their agents) will ultimately have control, and will be looking for those big pay days.
If the likes of Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard and Moder just smile sweetly and politely say 'No thank you' whenever a new contract is presented to them, there is nothing we can do about it. Bissouma did; it is inevitable that some others will follow suit in the future. Best we don't get too wound up about it.
It won't happen all the time - maybe we'll offer new contracts earlier - that might work in some cases, but as with everything at this level, that costs money. All takes managing, with keeping within the wage structure an extra complication - although that's not something I'd wish us to abandon.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If the likes of Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard and Moder just smile sweetly and politely say 'No thank you' whenever a new contract is presented to them, there is nothing we can do about it. Bissouma did; it is inevitable that some others will follow suit in the future..

But they’re not are they ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What seemed like a new contract every year for Dunk was one thing - it was starting from a relatively low base level. The higher we go, the more players (and their agents) will ultimately have control, and will be looking for those big pay days.
If the likes of Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard and Moder just smile sweetly and politely say 'No thank you' whenever a new contract is presented to them, there is nothing we can do about it. Bissouma did; it is inevitable that some others will follow suit in the future. Best we don't get too wound up about it.
It won't happen all the time - maybe we'll offer new contracts earlier - that might work in some cases, but as with everything at this level, that costs money. All takes managing, with keeping within the wage structure an extra complication - although that's not something I'd wish us to abandon.

Don’t get me wrong I have no complaints at all about how this club is run, it’s just a bit depressing that we are probably goimg to be unable to kick on when we have had a season like we had because the big boys will hoover up the talent TB has given us and Potter has moulded

Who knows, maybe I’ll be proved wrong and we will kick on :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But they’re not are they ?

We don't know yet. It's quite possible the club doesn't know if they will or they won't sign a new contract yet. It's equally possible that the club have offered new contracts - but we don't know about that either.

Will every player now go down 'The Bissouma route'? No.
At some point in the future, will another player go down 'The Bissouma route'? Yes, of course someone will.
Will someone one day in the future opt to run down their contract and leave on a free (with a massive signing on bonus)? Would you want to bet against it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because his current deal won’t be that good I imagine. And where would he go? He’s good but not sure he’s in a position like Bissouma who you’d be very certain goes to a top 6 team.

Surely new deal earning better money for a couple of years and then still being able to move in a transfer deal is better than running down your deal on a lot less money

It does seem unfortunate to have so many players appearing to run down their contracts or lack of news that a new deal is likely. Maupay, Mac , Trossard off the top of my head

Tross has got a year and another year option. So just Mac and Maupay with a year remaining, so it's hardly 'so many players'. Note too that this is becoming a much more prevalent factor in PL football, so I think we're actually under-represented on this front (but happy to be proved wrong if anyone has got some substantial data).

I'm extremely keen for Mac to sign a new one but, as Swanny says, looking increasingly unlikely.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We don't know yet. It's quite possible the club doesn't know if they will or they won't sign a new contract yet. It's equally possible that the club have offered new contracts - but we don't know about that either.

Will every player now go down 'The Bissouma route'? No.
At some point in the future, will another player go down 'The Bissouma route'? Yes, of course someone will.
Will someone one day in the future opt to run down their contract and leave on a free (with a massive signing on bonus)? Would you want to bet against it?

Well we will know cos club is normally delighted to announce new contracts and there’s been plenty of them over the last 18 months. Where’s the sign that players don’t want to continue their career with Potter etc ? Sure another Bissouma hold out might happen - at some point. Agreed. - but the half full of us - here might argue that’s that’s pretty rare and it’s just as likely we’re keeping the squad together and new contract offers are coming along fine this summer. (Eg: the new Cucurella negotiations is a nice twist)

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Good spot - he signed a new contract taking him to 2026 last summer.

So that’s Webster, Sanchez, Lamptey, Sarmiento, Gross, Welbeck, Rushworth in last 18 months.

It’s the nature of the game I am old enough to remember the long term contracts that were given out during Mike Bambers time as chairman that came back to haunt the club when we were relegated

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In the interests of fairness you might need to add Veltman to yours (of those with a year left). Assuming I didn’t miss some news on his contract.

It was reported by Naylor/The Athletic earlier this summer that club have 1 year options to 2024 on both Veltman and Trossard.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm extremely keen for Mac to sign a new one but, as Swanny says, looking increasingly unlikely.

Its hardly unusual for a player with one year to go like Mac to be in negotiations the summer before and then agree to a new contract. Not sure - unless there’s reporting otherwise - why the outcome of a new contract is not the more likely scenario.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its hardly unusual for a player with one year to go like Mac to be in negotiations the summer before and then agree to a new contract. Not sure - unless there’s reporting otherwise - why the outcome of a new contract is not the more likely scenario.

Not sure about that. Many of our key players get rewarded with new deals well before final year. In the last few years can’t think of anyone that went into the final year before getting a new deal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well we will know cos club is normally delighted to announce new contracts..........

Yeh, sure they are. What they don't announce, and we don't know, is contracts offered. Have discussions taken place with Cucu and Mac, for example? Yes, I'm sure they will have been - but we don't know whether contracts have been offered, and not accepted. That's as it should be - doesn't mean we shouldn't have legitimate 'will he, won't he' discussions. That isn't attacking or criticising the club in any way.

It's a million miles away from the 'Bloom out if he doesn't get us a £40M striker' bollox!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure about that. Many of our key players get rewarded with new deals well before final year. In the last few years can’t think of anyone that went into the final year before getting a new deal

We’re talking about 2 players here .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yeh, sure they are. What they don't announce, and we don't know, is contracts offered. Have discussions taken place with Cucu and Mac, for example? Yes, I'm sure they will have been - but we don't know whether contracts have been offered, and not accepted. That's as it should be - doesn't mean we shouldn't have legitimate 'will he, won't he' discussions. That isn't attacking or criticising the club in any way.

It's a million miles away from the 'Bloom out if he doesn't get us a £40M striker' bollox!

Of course not. But the smart money is surely on a new Mac contract. And we have reports now that a new contract for Cucurella is being discussed. Sounds like it’s all working as you’d expect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports