Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond Effigy To Be Burnt Tonight At Lewes....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pity his effigy was not torched, it would have been a wonderful metaphor after his dreams went up in smoke first.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sussex Police should be ashamed of themselves. They will no doubt claim that 'they had to act after receiving a complaint', utter boxxocks in reality as we all know of complainants that are dissuaded of continuing, and of laws that are not implemented.

Waterloo Bonfire Society should have fought this tooth and nail as the whole existence of a Sussex ritual steeped in hundreds of years of history and tradition is under threat. Next year someone may complain of being offended by the noise!

Shame on all those involved in this cowardly climb down.

Freedom of speech is beginning to be suffocated by the mealy mouthed of the modern world, R.I.P.
Spot on as usual.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Seems that everyone criticising Lewes Bonfire comes from outside Sussex and pretty much Scotland. Makes you wonder how long its going to last before the PC brigade get it scrapped, even the Health and Safety brigade allow it to continue !! Hopefully Sussex Police just let their armed officers use it for live ammunition target practice, film it, then send it to Scotland.

Amazing how the effigies of Putin arent being slated though, especially the one of Putin sitting on a model of a Malaysian airliner snapped in 2 - which could be considered to be more offensive than the effigy of Salmond.

All out war between Scotland and Sussex now......time for Gordon Greer to either pledge allegiance to Sussex or he gets transfer listed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
None of which is relevant to the thought processes that have gone into the decision of the Waterloo Bonfire Society to create a tableau on the theme of the Scottish independence referendum.

Nor commercial square.

They were both burned by the way. Not sure why the media is reporting otherwise!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm hardly surprised they are offended. Yes Lewis would do David Cameron, but do you think Edinburgh or Glasgow would? YES.

They'd probably have the sense not to, I DOUBT THAT VERY MUCHit sends an ugly message and it's pretty disrespectful.

Being disrespectful is sort of the point.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I don't think i've ever known such an unbelievable over reaction to something. I know many members of Waterloo including the chairman, vice chair and secretary and last night, they had to have police guards outside their houses as they'd received death threats.

You watch the press whip this up into some sort of hysterical frenzy

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seems a lot of this was caused by a tweet from Anne McLaughlin of the SNP, saying that East Sussex council should be ashamed for allowing it! Nowt to do with ESCC it seems.

Independent Sussex to declare war on Scotland! [emoji38]

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Pathetic overreaction from the jocks. Thankfully it was still brilliant and the bonfire went up nicely helped by a few buckfast
intoxtecated tramps from North of the border.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
very touchy

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seems a lot of this was caused by a tweet from Anne McLaughlin of the SNP, saying that East Sussex council should be ashamed for allowing it! Nowt to do with ESCC it seems.

Independent Sussex to declare war on Scotland! [emoji38]

It was ESCC who tweeted it, in the first place. They withdrew the tweet later.

Storm in a teacup.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
The effigy wasn't fat enough to represent Salmond anyway!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that upsetting all of these people who are so full of their own importance is almost as entertaining as blowing up the effigy would have been.

It's obvious that this is the rallying call we have been waiting for. Shout it loud and shout it proud -

Independence for East Sussex (without Crawley)

We should gather around Ernest's ARS and start revolting

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I don't think i've ever known such an unbelievable over reaction to something. I know many members of Waterloo including the chairman, vice chair and secretary and last night, they had to have police guards outside their houses as they'd received death threats.

You watch the press whip this up into some sort of hysterical frenzy

I doubt these were direct and, in effect, simply hot air which can be discounted. How would someone in Scotland be able to find an unknown person & kill someone in England at a few hours notice?
A decent poker player would have called their bluff and ignored.
Time better spent investigating the threat

I think that upsetting all of these people who are so full of their own importance is almost as entertaining as blowing up the effigy would have been.

It's obvious that this is the rallying call we have been waiting for. Shout it loud and shout it proud -

Independence for East Sussex (without Crawley)

We should gather around Ernest's ARS and start revolting

I'm for it - can it be modified as "Independence for East Sussex (without Crawley who can transfer to Surrey and can we have Tunbridge Wells and Tenterden as they are are wasted on Kent).

In defence of Alex Salmond (never thought I would type that) but he seemed to take it in good part and expressed more concern about the effigy of Nessie that featured in one of the tableaux.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very disappointed with the Nats. If Scotland is serious about being an independent nation they must stop being so precious. (I'm sure effigies of Thatcher were burnt in Scotland and she never went screaming for a policeman). Also very disappointed with the police over-reaction and with whatever bonfire society it was that they didn't just go ahead and burn it anyway. No one comes out of this with any credit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here