Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Aldi/Lidl Blindness

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Aldi quality is fine and often better than the big four. It's also much cheaper. The Tesco price comparison attempts don't match them. The only drawback can be a more restricted choice, but I really don't need lots of different brands of bin bags.

I just wish they did deliveries.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I like them, great for larder stuff, tins etc, knock off the normal brands, love it. - Fruit and veg is largely shite though there's usually someone who will pipe up that his mate who's a chef gets there stuff there....

To add - If you need anything other than about the main 3 or 4 most popular herbs and spices, you're going somewhere else....

The fruit and veg is good if you ate going to eat it within the next 2 days after that not good.

See another of people who working in takeaways buying bulk items.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Lidl wins on the basis of having the bakery

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I always buy my gorgonzola from Lidl.
Choice of dolce or piccante.
200g for £1.89.
Aldi used to do it but dont anymore

20220528_183718.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
From Aldi: This is a really tasty tomato and grilled pepper stir through pasta sauce for 79p. I always add one fresh pepper diced and fried to it.
Also comes in tomato and olive or tomato and mascarpone but i always stick with the tomato and grilled pepper variety

4088600054490_0_L.jpg

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Not that impressed with Audi preger my Land Rover and VW. I het Ocardo to deliver M and S but will put up with Sainsburys if I have to slum it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, I suffer.

Over the years I have loved their Pork Schnitzels, Gravlax, Almond Ice creams, Smoked duck pate, Pancetta, Almond Chocolate, Cheddar and Red Onion crisps, Steak and Merlot pies, Some three fish roast thing, etc, but they only seem to sell these things for a few months at a time, and due to the previously stated blindness I can never find what I want in the shop I end up in :shrug:

The one at the Goldstone (I know :rolleyes:) did some really nice steaks a couple of weeks ago, but have probably now moved them to Shoreham, Whitehawk or Portslade just to confuse me :rant:

And, if that isn't bad enough one of them did a cracking sausage roll in Croatia a few years ago that had a small frankfurter in a mustard sauce, all contained within the flakiest of pastries, and no f***ing sign of it anywhere in south east England.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No Aldi here makes it a bit easier.

From Aldi: This is a really tasty tomato and grilled pepper stir through pasta sauce for 79p. I always add one fresh pepper diced and fried to it.
Also comes in tomato and olive or tomato and mascarpone but i always stick with the tomato and grilled pepper variety

View attachment 148366

That is very impressive.. in Biafra

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

View attachment 148366
This is a winner with my kids. I usually make my own pasta sauce, but since they tasted that, mine is "no good".

Edit: The big pork pies are splendid as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was in the smallish Worthing Lidl first thing Thursday morning and was shocked by the scarcity of many items on the shelves... the Pasta/Noodles/ Rice section was almost sold out... no tomato puree at all .. been struggling to get canned Sardines in oil for several weeks now too. Lots of recent price " Jumps " too, Butter gone up 25p a pack and Chicken thigh fillets gone up from about £1.89 a pack to £2.49. .. looks like even Lidl are suffering the combined effects of Inflation and the idiocy of Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I love Lidl and go in every week. Their soup is very good and the bakery top notch. Even on holiday in France, I’ll do some shopping in Lidl.

I have to go to Lewes for Aldi but like to drop in now and again.

As for blindness, try it and open your eyes.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
No blindness here - Lidl have far less variety than Aldi and are slightly more expensive. That said, both are very good supermarkets for getting your shopping at a very reasonable price. I use Aldi and then for a very few bits go to Sainsburys - three bags of goods at Aldi cost ~£60, less than one bag at Sainsburys ~£30. Why people use the Sainsburys and Tescos of the world to do their main shop is beyond me. Even more so Waitrose ! More money than sense.
We do exactly the same - Aldi and then Sainsbury’s, and you’re absolutely right about the cost difference. Only thing I really, really, really dislike about Aldi is that their car parks tend to be small and absolute bun fights to find a space.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Been to a couple of Aldis. Wasn't impressed. Didn't feel very customer friendly. Or they might have been Lidls. I relly don't know (or care). More Iceland than Tescos or ASDA. Or more Poundland .................

I'm 100% with the OP on this

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I definitely haven’t got Lidl blindness , every one in Newhaven knows it’s next to KFC and just along from Maccy Ds :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here