Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aldi and Lidl

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sorry to state the obvious, but for fruit and veg, try going to a market - you can save loads of money. You'll be shocked at how much supermarkets charge for things like apples and strawberries when you see the market prices. Not Farmer's market prices, mind you....

Strawberries, White Grapes, and Red Grapes are £1.50 in ADSA at the moment. Cheaper than that?

Another vote for Lidl, no Aldi's near enough to me to compare. Forget brands, ask yourself "does it taste the same or better than the big name equivalent". Lidl Rich Tea biscuits for example 29p, McVities £1.09 for same size pack and no better in taste imho. I am sad enought to scan their online newsletter and add random bargains to my phone to remind me to buy them. Most of their hardware is German made it seems and seems to do a job.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Lidl occassionally stock motorcycle clothing and helmets, good quality and amazing value.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Another vote for Lidl, no Aldi's near enough to me to compare. Forget brands, ask yourself "does it taste the same or better than the big name equivalent". Lidl Rich Tea biscuits for example 29p, McVities £1.09 for same size pack and no better in taste imho.

How does that differ from the 'big 4'? Answer: It doesn't. If you want to buy own brand stuff then they will happily sell you it!

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
The Vita D'or real mayonnaise in Lidl is the business ................nice and eggy like the stuff you get with your chips in Amsterdam !

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We do our shopping in Lidl. We spend roughly the same amount as we would in somewhere more 'up-market' but come out with double the goods.

The only thing that can sting you in Lidl, and Aldi I'd imagine, is they seem to charge over the odds for name brand stuff. If you're not fussy about names though it's no problem.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I saw this thread, and thought we boosted our foreign contingent in the team with 2 new signings! :cheers:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not read the thread so may have been mentioned. Final planning permission for a Lidl in Shoreham goes before the commitee on Monday.

I've bever been in a Lidl, or Aldi for that matter, but would out of interest. Whether I returned would depend on the quality of the goods. Doesn't gave to be cheap, for me, it's got to be good.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Same, I know what I like, and if i have to pay more for it, then that's okay by me.

However, if i can go to one of these and pay less for more, then win/win.

Not read the thread so may have been mentioned. Final planning permission for a Lidl in Shoreham goes before the commitee on Monday.

I've bever been in a Lidl, or Aldi for that matter, but would out of interest. Whether I returned would depend on the quality of the goods. Doesn't gave to be cheap, for me, it's got to be good.

Same for me, and I've been going back for almost 2 months now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Big fan of Aldi in London Road. Was a bit sceptical when I first went in but the quality is excellent. I can't comment on the meat as I'm a veggie but Mrs Gwylan says it's higher quality than any of the other supermarkets. One thing that Aldi really scores on is booze: there's a good choice of beers and the wines are absolutely top notch. If you're near a big Aldi, then you're really lucky

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

A single example may illustrate :
None of Tesco's so called finest pizza's bother to use Buffalo mozzarella, they cost £4.50 and taste average
Aldi's wonderful 'specially selected' pepperoni & rocket pizza uses uses 18% mozzarella AND 8% Buffalo mozzarella, it truly tastes like an authentic Italian pizza even starting from frozen. It costs just £2

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A single example may illustrate :
None of Tesco's so called finest pizza's bother to use Buffalo mozzarella, they cost £4.50 and taste average
Aldi's wonderful 'specially selected' pepperoni & rocket pizza uses uses 18% mozzarella AND 8% Buffalo mozzarella, it truly tastes like an authentic Italian pizza even starting from frozen. It costs just £2

Buffalo mozarella shouldn't be used for pizzas, the cow stuff should be used for the "stringyness". Buffalo mozarella should be used for salads.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Waitrose and Lidl are next door to each other in Burgess Hill. We use them both for the weekly shop and that gives us an excellent combination of quality and value for at least ten per cent less money than it used to cost us in the fading Tesco on the edge of town.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Buffalo mozarella shouldn't be used for pizzas, the cow stuff should be used for the "stringyness". Buffalo mozarella should be used for salads.

I was thinking that! buffalo mozzarella is best pure, with its goodness oozing out. Would be wasted on a pizza.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Waitrose and Lidl are next door to each other in Burgess Hill. We use them both for the weekly shop and that gives us an excellent combination of quality and value for at least ten per cent less money than it used to cost us in the fading Tesco on the edge of town.

Fading? Not the burgess hill branch for sure. It takes a million plus pounds a week through the checkouts and probably doubles the turnover of all the other supermarkets in burgess hill combined excluding the petrol filling station! Tesco is a beast. Huge compared to sainsbury and asda in the uk. Sales may be down recently as a company but not this branch. They also have the little metro/extra store in burgess hill.

Ex tesco employee here... Still have a little love for the company and some share options! :0)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I had battered Haddock tonight from Aldi.
It was from Scottish waters caught by Scottish fishermen and it was delicious really strong Haddock flavour lovely crispy batter much better and cheaper than other premium brands you can buy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here