Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I've been using the DRINK FREE DAYS App for the last two years, and recorded it regardless of how much alcoholic intake, i.e. a small glass of wine at a business event still goes down as NOT a drink free day and it's amazing how it changes your approach to the odd drink here and there?

My problem is I have a quick drink but that will often lead me to a reason to go to the pub or have another drink when I get home.

Shocking though, only 106 drink free days this year :eek::ohmy:

Is that on the apple app store or whatever it is android have? Can't find it on the Spanish apple apps at least ???

Business events/trips are generally very boozy for me and because they're almost always abroad, I obviously want to get out and see what the nightlife is like in whatever part of the world I am.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I go through real stages of drinking too much, getting into a rut with it, pulling myself out of the hole, only drinking on weekends and the cycle continues. I think coming from a heavy drinking family (not my mum or siblings, but more dad, uncles, cousins etc) I'm very aware of the state of their lives through drink and don't want to get that way myself.

My Dad died at 62 years old. Little sign of any liver left and failing kidneys. Although I've never been anywhere near that level of drinking it does help me mentally to cut back.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Thanks mate, will check that out!

Totally recommend this. I did it two years ago and haven't touched a drop since (which isn't the point in the Experiment actually - but can be a consequence). One of the great part of this is that you can connect with other people doing the experiment with you. 10/10 suggest it to her.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's the App I use. It's helped but I would like an App that registers what I drink on the drinking days. On Sunday I celebrated reaching 183 days by drinking a bottle and half of red. Yesterday was a wash out. It's a work in progress and I'm slowly changing my mindset.

Target for 2020 is now 208 days free. That will be not drinking for 4 days for every week in the year. Next year I'll aim to just beat that and work on the binge drinking in between.

86 days at Year 1
106 so far Year 2
182 target Year 3

Problem is, as you say, how many units you do or don't consume!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is that on the apple app store or whatever it is android have? Can't find it on the Spanish apple apps at least ???

Business events/trips are generally very boozy for me and because they're almost always abroad, I obviously want to get out and see what the nightlife is like in whatever part of the world I am.

AppStore, part of an NHS group of Apps I think picked it up after doing the Couch 2 to 5k

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's the App I use. It's helped but I would like an App that registers what I drink on the drinking days. On Sunday I celebrated reaching 183 days by drinking a bottle and half of red. Yesterday was a wash out. It's a work in progress and I'm slowly changing my mindset.

Target for 2020 is now 208 days free. That will be not drinking for 4 days for every week in the year. Next year I'll aim to just beat that and work on the binge drinking in between.

Well done mate, fantastic effort. I go for smaller rewards. i.e. not drinking after a glass at a do means a weekend or next day drink etc, it's all about what works I guess, keep going great effort.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

The App you should look at is Drink Less App :)

Jul 7, 2003
To all those who have been avoiding drink, I hope you managed to get through today without feeling the pressure to drink.

For those who fell off the wagon, I'm sure you can climb back on and with most of us in Tier 4, the temptation of pubs if you're not working has been kindly taken away by Uncle Boris.

To those who read this in the morning with a sore head and who want to give up the booze - short or long term - there are plenty here who can share their experiences.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Second successive AF Christmas and New Year. I’ve had the odd drink here and there in the intervening 12 months but now feel completely able and happy to go weeks or months without an alcoholic drink.

In fact the intention for 2021 is to be 100% AF. Until halfway through 2019 I was drinking daily in the ‘Adrian Chiles’ mode so it really was something that needed to be addressed. Can’t say I’ve taken much account of the financial benefits - although they must be considerable I’d have thought - but the fitness dividend has been fantastic.

Good luck to all those planning to cut back in 2021.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Well done to those who really got on top of it in 2020, and Godspeed to those who are trying hard to cut-down or cut-out in 2021.

I drank far far too much in 2020, and am going to try harder than ever to cut right back. I would drink every single day. I would have a small can or two whilst prepping dinner, most of a bottle of wine with dinner (as Mrs W drinks very little), and then a succession of large cognacs or dark rums after dinner, falling asleep in front of the telly. Doesn’t sound much? Blimey, what I’ve just listed adds up to about 20 units a day, every single day. 140 units per week. I’m retired, so I don’t need to be up with the lark, but drinking at that level is crazy, and will inevitably lead to major issues.

So I’m going to try. My initial simple strategy is to introduce some dry days. Mrs W has her weekly dose of chemotherapy every Monday, and has to stay dry Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, so I’m going to join her on that, and try to stay dry on those three days every week. Just succeeding on that will cut back my weekly intake by about 45%, by about 60 units.

My second strategy is on drinking days to only drink from a maximum of two of the three classes (beer, wine, spirits). Hopefully that will see drinking days cut down from 20 units per day to more like 12. So that could save a further 30 units per week. So those two strategies combined get me down from 140 units to about 50. If I can sustain that, then maybe from Easter onwards I will add a new strategy to try and get down from 50 to 40 etc.

One thing I would suggest to help those trying to cut back - every unit of alcohol contains on average about 100 calories. That’s half a pint, or a small glass of wine, or a 30ml measure. Think of the benefit of cutting out say 40 units per week from your intake, that would be 4000 calories per week - and 3600 calories equates to a pound of weight loss. So, if you wanted to lose at least 52 pounds, or 3 stone 10 pounds, in 2021 you could do it by cutting out 40 units per week, and doing nothing else, no sweaty gyms or running in the rain, no living on rabbit food, JUST by cutting down the booze.

Good luck to all those taking it on, you know it makes sense. Share your successes, and your trials and tribulations, on here. Wedgee

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Someone close to me is suffering from severe alcoholism- it is destroying their life, relationships, finances etc.

They have reached out for help to their GP, local alcohol support group (CGL) but no one seems able or willing to help (possibly COVID is having an impact here too)

Any suggestions on who to turn to next? She tried AA but didn't get on with it (couldn't do the 'spiritual' side of things)

Yes try https://www.cranstoun.org, is your friend in Coventry?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well done to those who really got on top of it in 2020, and Godspeed to those who are trying hard to cut-down or cut-out in 2021.

I drank far far too much in 2020, and am going to try harder than ever to cut right back. I would drink every single day. I would have a small can or two whilst prepping dinner, most of a bottle of wine with dinner (as Mrs W drinks very little), and then a succession of large cognacs or dark rums after dinner, falling asleep in front of the telly. Doesn’t sound much? Blimey, what I’ve just listed adds up to about 20 units a day, every single day. 140 units per week. I’m retired, so I don’t need to be up with the lark, but drinking at that level is crazy, and will inevitably lead to major issues.

So I’m going to try. My initial simple strategy is to introduce some dry days. Mrs W has her weekly dose of chemotherapy every Monday, and has to stay dry Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, so I’m going to join her on that, and try to stay dry on those three days every week. Just succeeding on that will cut back my weekly intake by about 45%, by about 60 units.

My second strategy is on drinking days to only drink from a maximum of two of the three classes (beer, wine, spirits). Hopefully that will see drinking days cut down from 20 units per day to more like 12. So that could save a further 30 units per week. So those two strategies combined get me down from 140 units to about 50. If I can sustain that, then maybe from Easter onwards I will add a new strategy to try and get down from 50 to 40 etc.

One thing I would suggest to help those trying to cut back - every unit of alcohol contains on average about 100 calories. That’s half a pint, or a small glass of wine, or a 30ml measure. Think of the benefit of cutting out say 40 units per week from your intake, that would be 4000 calories per week - and 3600 calories equates to a pound of weight loss. So, if you wanted to lose at least 52 pounds, or 3 stone 10 pounds, in 2021 you could do it by cutting out 40 units per week, and doing nothing else, no sweaty gyms or running in the rain, no living on rabbit food, JUST by cutting down the booze.

Good luck to all those taking it on, you know it makes sense. Share your successes, and your trials and tribulations, on here. Wedgee

Good luck!

I've over-indulged, quite ridiculously, over the last year and I'm cutting back as of today, for two reasons...

1. General health - less alcohol is clearly better for us.
2. Running performance. As you say, alcohol contains a lot of calories. I'm not fussed about losing weight, other than if I have less weight to cart about then, all other things being equal, I should be able to run faster.

Last year I ran over 2,250 miles and averaged 21,000 steps per day. I move a lot, but my weight has stayed pretty much constant, primarily because of what I stick in my mouth, much of it in liquid form.

I'm never going to be AF - I love booze too much - but I do need to cut back and, to start with, have a bit of time where I'm dry in order to break the habit again. I have no idea how long this initial dry spell will last, but iI'll be aiming for at least a month.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Someone close to me is suffering from severe alcoholism- it is destroying their life, relationships, finances etc.

They have reached out for help to their GP, local alcohol support group (CGL) but no one seems able or willing to help (possibly COVID is having an impact here too)

Any suggestions on who to turn to next? She tried AA but didn't get on with it (couldn't do the 'spiritual' side of things)

For chronic alcoholism (and I speak as someone who nearly died from it)I've never found anything that works other than AA. You don't have to like it or agree with it you just have to do it. The best CGL (a less than wonderful organisation IMHO) will have to offer is - go to AA. There aren't really any alternatives. The vast majority of chronic alcoholics die of it i'm afraid. My best advice to your friend is swallow your objections and immerse yourself in 12 step recovery.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Good luck!

I've over-indulged, quite ridiculously, over the last year and I'm cutting back as of today, for two reasons...

1. General health - less alcohol is clearly better for us.
2. Running performance. As you say, alcohol contains a lot of calories. I'm not fussed about losing weight, other than if I have less weight to cart about then, all other things being equal, I should be able to run faster.

Last year I ran over 2,250 miles and averaged 21,000 steps per day. I move a lot, but my weight has stayed pretty much constant, primarily because of what I stick in my mouth, much of it in liquid form.

I'm never going to be AF - I love booze too much - but I do need to cut back and, to start with, have a bit of time where I'm dry in order to break the habit again. I have no idea how long this initial dry spell will last, but iI'll be aiming for at least a month.

Fantastic effort on the running front, well done. Try not to make your booze cut-back too draconian. If you enjoy it, as I do, then still enjoy it occasionally, but find simple ways to cut back without causing unhappiness or feeling penalised. Good luck.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
For chronic alcoholism (and I speak as someone who nearly died from it)I've never found anything that works other than AA. You don't have to like it or agree with it you just have to do it. The best CGL (a less than wonderful organisation IMHO) will have to offer is - go to AA. There aren't really any alternatives. The vast majority of chronic alcoholics die of it i'm afraid. My best advice to your friend is swallow your objections and immerse yourself in 12 step recovery.

I respectfully disagree that there arent any really any alternatives to the 12 steps, and that is an issue with AA and NA groups IMO, its this way or no way, glad it works for you though, and wonderful that the model has worked and continues to work for so many for so long. Though some people just cant or wont get it. but it doesnt mean that it cant be done. The best CGL have budgets, targets, throughput of clients.. what to do? Refereral to xA..

Could be controlled detox, rehabs, cbt, sound therapy, mindfulness meditation techniques, tai chi/yoga, life coaching, exercise, nutritionists, other meds, group/support work..
There are alternatives which shouldnt be discounted

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I drink everyday pretty much, the odd day off but not many. Anything from 3 pints to 8 but never at home. Last lockdown I pretty much stopped, just the odd can, over the 3 months. Lost 1.5-2 stone and felt amazing. Pubs opened and back I went and put the weight straight back on.

Stopped again this lockdown, I had my first bottle of beer last night to celebrate the win and didn't really enjoy it, I never really do at home. I'm staying off it through lockdown even if it goes right the way through to March but with the odd tipple as before. The difference is, this time I will keep the volume down with only the occasional pub visit when they are back open. Lost 6lb so far and starting to feel better even though I didn't realise I felt bad before. 1-1.5 stone to go. And selfishly, I'm quite happy if this lockdown does go on until end of March.

It’s when we stopped going out to drink that my consumption soared. Getting drunk on your own raises issues....... well it did for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here