Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcohol free beer

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also looking to ease back on my consumption once again, and came across Sober Sauce, who have a reasonable range.

They have an introductory case here > Introductory Mixed Case (12 beers) , or you can mix and match your own. If you sort by price low to high, you'll see a few beers are currently on offer too

And you can use code NSC to save 5% off your first order.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Wonder if it would be possible for the Amex to introduce some AF beer to it's refreshment offer. I'd like to think a significant minority would be interested in this.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
They have heineken zero on draught in Dick's bar. It'd be good to see it on the concourse.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im not really a drinker these days, but the cricket club got a few AF beers in for me last season, and they were really quite nice tbh.
Especially enjoyed the Pistonhead "Flat Tire"...that was good.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Ok, so from the widely available AF beers that i have tried, here's the verdict so far...

Scale is 0-10, with 0 = Like Peroni Libera and 10 = just like the real thing

Peroni Libera - Foul, just horrible - 0/10
Old Speckled Hen LA - Sweet, sickly taste, nothing like ale at all - 1/10
Heineken 0.0 - more identifiable as a lager. Still holds that rank aftertaste, but not so obviously - 3/10
Brewdog Nanny State - getting there now, slightly sweet lager taste, but very watery - 5/10
Brewdog Punk AF - fuller flavour, still watery though, but acceptable - 7/10
Guinness 0.0 - great mouth feel, like the real thing. Flavour is full, but overly sweet - 7/10

So nothing that I have found in stores near me has come close to being like real beer, but a couple have allowed me to not drink any alcohol as it is a workable substitute. I still can't bring myself to order through the online retailers as they are far too expensive and, frankly, I'm not in this for the long term.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Reminds me of going into a bar in Australia and asking if they had a non alcohol beer and barman said yes Water

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I don't know if it's available in the UK but Mahou (part of San Miguel group) Tostada 0,0 is an excellent amber lager.

Mahou tostada.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Heineken zero is very good.

However the daddy of all alcohol free beers is Guiness Zero if you can get it.

They've nailed it in a way others haven't. Best drunk ice cold.

Its been sold out for months, but Waitrose are doing it again. I get it on click and collect be because its not always in store.

I finally got hold of some yesterday and it's spot on - it tastes exactly like normal Guinness, the texture's not quite right though.

I've been drinking a lot of AF beers lately as I'm making serious efforts to lose weight and most of these beers have piddling amount of calories. It's all a bit hit and miss though: Erdinger and Adnam's Ghost Ship are excellent; Brewdog's is undrinkable, it tastes like something to clean drains with.

I was talking to a brewer of AF beer and he said that the reason that Guinness has done so well is that's invested many millions in producing Zero. It's taking the whole market very seriously as they see it as a growth area.

One thing that does to change is licensing. At the moment, you still need to be 18 to buy AF beer, that's just ludicrous and really should be fixed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Went for a drink with my daughter on Sunday. Noy hugely impressed with our pint of draught ale, so we selected bottles of Ghost Ship for our next round of drinks. It was only after we'd taken the bottles back to the table, piured them and started drinking that my daughter noticed it was actually the AF (or neaarly zero alcohol) version. It wasn't bad at all.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Went for a drink with my daughter on Sunday. Noy hugely impressed with our pint of draught ale, so we selected bottles of Ghost Ship for our next round of drinks. It was only after we'd taken the bottles back to the table, poured them and started drinking that my daughter noticed it was actually the AF (or nearly zero alcohol) version. It wasn't bad at all.

Agree with you that it's a decent pint and at <0.5% you can have pretty much as many as you like. Adnams claim that it is their standard Ghost Ship but with the alcohol taken out without any loss in taste.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I like the Guinness - its not too far off for me - its got to be cold though.

Would drink that going out over most other thinks if Im driving and have been drinking it at home to try to stop being a lush.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Key question, why?

Are you wanting to cut down on alcohol intake or cut down on calorie intake?

Alcohol-free beer only supports one of these ...

I have almost stopped drinking beer for health reasons but when out with family and friends I can still drink a non alcoholic beverage I don’t look like Larry loner nor do the drinkers start berating me with go on just have one as they do when I have a coke then when the others migrate onto shorts I have a slimline tonic ice and a slice for all everyone knows I am along with everyone else on shorts

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
peroni.jpg

This is worth a go. Yes I work for the company so would show bias, however the first we brewed was awful hence withdrawn.

After years of development and disaster of Libera, which never did taste like Nastro Azzurro so we couldn't name as such, this version is very good. Using the latest technology for removing the alcohol doesn't change the taste as much.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They have heineken zero on draught in Dick's bar. It'd be good to see it on the concourse.

They now have cans 330ml of Heineken Zero available on the concourse .
I had one last week, served up on the new paper pint cups, and it was cold. Not my #1 go to AF beer by any stretch but a welcome addition.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They now have cans 330ml of Heineken Zero available on the concourse .
I had one last week, served up on the new paper pint cups, and it was cold. Not my #1 go to AF beer by any stretch but a welcome addition.

Interesting as by law you can take that to your seat.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I was offered a beer by my father in law, one taste and asked to see the can.. I said this is non alchoholic! He said he has been getting the wife to drive for years because he thought he'd be over the limit! Some people cannot tell the difference! Stone the crows.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Interesting as by law you can take that to your seat.

I took a Heineken 0 to my seat during the Women's Euros ad was told to get rid of it or return to the concourse. It would be nice if the rules could be clarified here. Shame as it actually wasn't that bad at all.

`Good to see an AF option available at the Amex at last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here