Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcohol free beer

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I too am cutting down a lot these days on medical advice. I have fatty liver disease linked to my diabetes rather - so I'm told - than through too much ale, although having gone recently without booze for a month the result of a blood tests showed much better readings for all sorts of things.

From my exploration of the non alcoholic stuff I think my favourite so far is the Shipyard Pale, although I also think the Heineken and Guinness are OK. My local has Erdinger Blue Label in bottles which is also OK and I quite like Paradise Citra IPA from Big Drop Brewery.

The ones I'm not keen on are Nanny State which I just think tastes weird, Lucky Saint and something from memory called St Peters which I've seen in Tesco's and imho is best avoided.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have almost stopped drinking beer for health reasons but when out with family and friends I can still drink a non alcoholic beverage I don’t look like Larry loner nor do the drinkers start berating me with go on just have one as they do when I have a coke then when the others migrate onto shorts I have a slimline tonic ice and a slice for all everyone knows I am along with everyone else on shorts

I have just gone a year and a half without an alcoholic drink, I also still haven’t tried AF beers.
I think i am lucky that nobody I’m out with berates me for not drinking, many people have respect for me not drinking, maybe your drinking friends are much younger than mine.
I’m also big enough and old enough to not give a toss if someone wants to berate me for not drinking, I know i am feeling better and my mental health is better for being off the alcohol.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I took a Heineken 0 to my seat during the Women's Euros ad was told to get rid of it or return to the concourse. It would be nice if the rules could be clarified here. Shame as it actually wasn't that bad at all.

`Good to see an AF option available at the Amex at last.

That's right. As I mentioned, AF drinks are subject to the same regulations as alcoholic ones - it's totally crazy but there's nothing the club can do about it.

However, if there were a change in the law, I'm not sure that the stewards would be willing to let things go anyway. How would they know what's alcoholic or not?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That's right. As I mentioned, AF drinks are subject to the same regulations as alcoholic ones - it's totally crazy but there's nothing the club can do about it.

However, if there were a change in the law, I'm not sure that the stewards would be willing to let things go anyway. How would they know what's alcoholic or not?

To be honest I thought it was because they could not tell whether I really had H0 in there, so fair enough. The rules are an ass if you cannot take a zero alcohol "beer" to your seat when you can take bottles of pop and hot beverages to your seat.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

Different coloured paper cups?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Heineken, Stella and Guinness are my AF of choice. Bud Lite and Coors Lite are my low alcohol backup. Peroni AF is bottom of my list as are all the tins of AF craft beer which to me just taste of tin and fruit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

All the time they are branded as alcohol free versions of the alcoholic ones I actually understand the controls.

It puts the stewards / supermarket staff in a difficult position if from afar it looks almost exactly the same as a can of beer.

The only answer would be to rebrand as something else completely, but the manufacturers won't be up for that yet.

Just finished a Guinness Zero lovely drink.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I haven’t read the thread so forgive me if I am duplicating a point already made. Harvey’s do some decent non alcoholic beers. I had a box as a present after hospital. Quite happy with just a tonic water though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I haven’t read the thread so forgive me if I am duplicating a point already made. Harvey’s do some decent non alcoholic beers. I had a box as a present after hospital. Quite happy with just a tonic water though.

Yes, when I was cutting down the Harvey's Old one was my go to.

Only With Love do an excellent Juicy AF as well

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
View attachment 150978

This is worth a go. Yes I work for the company so would show bias, however the first we brewed was awful hence withdrawn.

After years of development and disaster of Libera, which never did taste like Nastro Azzurro so we couldn't name as such, this version is very good. Using the latest technology for removing the alcohol doesn't change the taste as much.
It is very good I love a Peroni, I think knowing it’s AF you tend to look for flaws if no one told you it was AF you probably would just wonder why your not getting tipsy after a few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here