Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alcohol at Man City game

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm not sure it's queueing that is being targeted here, more that as you can't take beer to your seat, those buying alcohol would have to remain in the concourse area, very probably in close proximity to others.

If you're just picking up a pie, you could head to your seat (and fresh air) to eat it.

Yes, that makes sense.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How come? We had beer at the Chelsea game.

I can't imagine it's anything other than, to use a phrase that has been used a lot over the last year, "an abundance of caution".

Would I like a pint or two in the ground next wee? Sure.

Can I live without it, recognising that this is a first step to getting us back to where we all want to be? Yep.

Baby steps and all that...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, that makes sense.

Frankly, given this desire to minimise time people spend together indoors, this could help to start the movement to treat football fans like grown-ups and finally allow beer to be taken to seats.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The club are encouraging fans attending to take food and drink to the their seats to consume. You can’t take alcohol to your seat.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Frankly, given this desire to minimise time people spend together indoors, this could help to start the movement to treat football fans like grown-ups and finally allow beer to be taken to seats.

Sure hope so.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

like you can in Germany

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can't imagine it's anything other than, to use a phrase that has been used a lot over the last year, "an abundance of caution".

Would I like a pint or two in the ground next wee?
Sure.

Can I live without it, recognising that this is a first step to getting us back to where we all want to be? Yep.

Something circular in that comment.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You would like to think so. It's discrimination purely based on what activity you are watching whilst in possession of an alcoholic beverage.

My hope is that you will be permitted to take your pint to your seat but that alcohol would not be on sale during the game thus avoiding annoyance of people heading to the bar every five minutes whilst you are trying to watch the game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

This.

Maybe we should just be grateful that we are able to get back to the Amex and watch some footie again.

First things first

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Has no one learnt from the past 18 months alcohol makes you 10 time more likely to catch Covid unlike food, which has the opposite effect.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I guess so.

I'd hope that given the space we'll be able to afford one another - and in a half empty stadium - then the kiosks will be open for future events.

I'm not anticipating full stadia at the start of next season.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Perhaps given the relatively small crowd and the concerns vis-à-vis mingling, an 'at seat' service of drinks and snacks could be offered.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Perhaps given the relatively small crowd and the concerns vis-à-vis mingling, an 'at seat' service of drinks and snacks could be offered.

Why? Can't people manage without alcohol for one afternoon? We are there for the football first and foremost Soft drinks/snacks etc. can be purchesed at the kiosks anyway, simply take them to your seat to consume.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
How come? We had beer at the Chelsea game.

Not sure what the government rules were at the time of the Chelsea game but from Monday alcohol can only be served to people sat down by table service I think, which rules the normal sections of football stadiums out I'd imagine.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure what the government rules were at the time of the Chelsea game but from Monday alcohol can only be served to people sat down by table service I think, which rules the normal sections of football stadiums out I'd imagine.

Which is what happened when the same rule was in place for Sheff Utd at Home etc

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

It was August, so table service rules applied. I guess we slipped through the net.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here