Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Not an album yet, but if the first two tracks from Celestial North are anything to go by, when it does arrive it's going to be very good indeed. Beautiful slice of ethereal indie rock from the very talented Victoria Wood (featuring her husband and also very talented Woody from British Sea Power on drums). Hints of Patti Smith, Decline / Open Season era BSP and Pavement / Low style lo-fi blended with real craft and originality.

https://celestialnorth.bandcamp.com/

One day until the new Judas Priest album "Firepower" drops. Suffice to say I'm buzzing for this.

So far it's shaping up to be by far their best record since Halford came back. "Painkiller" is my favourite Priest record and the tracks released so far ooze the same quality. Getting to see them for the first time this summer at Bloodstock will be something to say the least!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Marc Riley played a track the other night, and it very much stood out for me too. I note that Dictionary Pudding are putting them on, although it's in Hastings, so I won't bother, but that connection does mean that we might see them here in the future.

They have played a few times in Brighton. West hill was where I first saw them a few years ago. They have since progressed to larger venues with The Haunt being the largest so far which hosted their Christmas show. Easy to think of them as a bit of a novelty act but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be accessed here: https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-36/

Track List
1. Shannon & the Clams - The Boy
2. La Luz - Cicada
3. Lucrecia Dalt - Tar
4. Nisantashi Primary School - Mr Fingers
5. EYE - Tu Anima
6. Hatis Noit - Illogical Lullaby
7. Bas Jan - Walton On The Naze
8. Halo Maud - Du Pouvoir/Power
9. Computer Magic - Drift Away
10. Crevice - Black Box
11. Paper Dollhouse - 4 Moons
12. None - Insect
13. Let's Eat Grandma - Hot Pink
14. Aske - Precambrian
15. Strict Nurse - Cazimi

Playing time: 60 minutes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have to say the new Suuns album is damn fine. Some absolutely stunning tracks on it, subtle influences on show here and there and it’s gloriously produced. Really works well.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
For the wife’s birthday today I furnished her with the new Saxon album, Thunderbolt and the new Judas Priest album Firepower, both on old fashioned CD. She’s reported back that driving to work this morning the Saxon album is first class, but not yet tried Priest.

Having heard the taster tracks from both albums they sound fantastic, reviews I’ve read seem to give both albums a superb rating.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For the wife’s birthday today I furnished her with the new Saxon album, Thunderbolt and the new Judas Priest album Firepower, both on old fashioned CD.

You old soft romantic.

PS I’m taking the missus to see Metallica next week. Not her thing but she agreed to accompany me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just bought the Superorganism album. Nice on spring morning and kind of reminds me of The Go Team played on 33 instead of 45.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Recent purchases:

Lucy Dacus, Soccer Mommy, The Breeders, Anna Burch, Young Fathers, Yo La Tengo. All pretty good music for doing the ironing to on a Sunday afternoon, but none of them have blown me away. Having said that, I can't remember the last time an album blew me away. I find myself looking for small moments of niceness - like an unexpected chord change, a burst of intense melody, or an interesting noise. What I don't want is a song where I can guess what's going to happen in advance, but, at the same time, I'm a sucker for a bit of guitar and tunefulness, so it's not always easy to find what I'm looking for.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't normally do compilations but if (various) jazz does it for you then

download.jpg

Some fantastic stuff on there

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be found here: https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-37/

Playlist:
1. Ladytron - The Animals
2. Detox Twins - In The Hospital Garden
3. Le SuperHomard - Paper Girl
4. Peach Kelli Pop - Drug Store's Symbol Of Happiness
5. Madonnatron - Mermaids
6. Purpur Spytt - Triangles
7. Lucy Railton - Pinnevik
8. Soft As Snow - Pink Rushes
9. Lolina - Murder
10. Swan Meat - Cream
11. Rosemary Loves A Blackberry - True Love Forgives Truism
12. Madison Acid & TV Girl - Speak French
13. Radio Galaxy - Fleece
14. LoneLady - Little Fugue
15. Boys - End Of Time
16. Jupiter-C - Hold Me
17. Sexores - Berlin
18. Kayla Painter - In The Witch Elm

Playing time: 60 minutes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Recent purchases:

Lucy Dacus, Soccer Mommy, The Breeders, Anna Burch, Young Fathers, Yo La Tengo. All pretty good music for doing the ironing to on a Sunday afternoon, but none of them have blown me away. Having said that, I can't remember the last time an album blew me away. I find myself looking for small moments of niceness - like an unexpected chord change, a burst of intense melody, or an interesting noise. What I don't want is a song where I can guess what's going to happen in advance, but, at the same time, I'm a sucker for a bit of guitar and tunefulness, so it's not always easy to find what I'm looking for.

The new Nils Frahm album? Hookworms new one?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice suggestions, but no and no! I like the singles off the Hookworms album, plus a fair few of the tracks, but it's in 7.5 territory rather than 9.1......

Fair enough. Personally I think this year is going to be fantastic for music. First quarter and I already have 4 contenders for album of the year in Nils, Hookworms, Young Fathers and Suuns. Daniel Avery and Rival Consoles out this week or next as well.

Try Young Fathers, it’s complex at times, very interesting and really gets into your head. I’ll let you know if any others come my way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here