Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Lana Del Rey - 'Lust For Life'

I really don't get why she comes in for so much stick but there are lots of music site reviewers who have nothing good to say about her. In this regard, she seems to be the female version of Ed Sheeran. It annoys me that people get like this. I can understand it to a certain extent with Coldplay because what they offer is a watered-down version of another band, in this case Radiohead, but even then, if you don't like the music then simply don't listen to it - no need for all the hate.

I like LDR a lot and I love this album. It's true that her image is an invention but she's not the first musician to create themselves a persona and she has a fantastic singing voice and as this album shows, her songwriting skills aren't far behind. I think this is her best album to date despite the unnecessary guest appearances of various rappers of whom I've heard of but couldn't ID in a line-up nor name any songs. The album is extremely ambitious coming in at 16 songs with a lot of big hitters in there. The opening few tracks are radio-friendly and see her in very familiar territory but as it progresses so does the variation. I mentioned before her song-writing and I do think it is top notch. The song titles themselves show an acidic wit and some of the rhyming couplets within are very clever with their wordplay. As with previous albums, there's also a fair few references to the aforementioned relationship she has with some of the music industry bods.

The guest appearances are by rappers and I may be showing my own prejudices here but the guests add very little to the songs other than the extremely annoying "uh-uh, yeah" interjections. Think Wyclef Jean's contribution on Fugees 'Killing Me Softly' and you'll get what I mean. I read a few reviews where they argued that she was collaborating with cool rappers to try to up her street cred but I hope that's not the reason. I just think she's experimenting with different styles.

"God Bless America - All The Beautiful Women" is one of the stand-outs for me showing how to write a great song and still get across a political message with precision wit. Other favourites include Lust For Life, 13 Beaches and Cherry. If you weren't won over by her previous output then this album almost certainly won't change your mind but if you were a fan previously or new to her music then I think this is a must-have addition and to hell with the music snobbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NTv0CdFCk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott - 'Crooked Calypso'

I really wouldn't bother with this one. It sounds bloody awful. The first track is MOR rubbish and sets the standard throughout. After that stinker of a first song it kind of settles into sounding like identikit Beautiful South album fillers with Heaton's voice getting more and more annoying as the album drags. The lowest point is "Silence Is..." which threaten to morph every so often into "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da". I managed one track more after that and then switched it off. I challenge you to find a worse album by an established artist this year.

This is that first track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74Fb55mPf4

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sundowners - 'Cut The Master'

This is an interesting and quite beautiful album. Their 2nd LP has been 2 years in the making and was well worth the wait. A Wirral band that combine subtle psychedelia with indie guitars and wispy female vocals, it starts well, the opener 'Before The Storm' is a solid tune with some great guitar play but it's the intro to track 2 'Great Beauty' that completely gripped me. I think I'm quite in love with this tune. Thereafter the album settles into a dreamy affair that purrs along quite easily with a lovely retro feel but right at the end is a quite epic track worthy of any C86 compilation 'Find Out For Yourself'. Anyone with a soft spot for 80s indie will enjoy this album and the last track in particular.

Great Beauty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--p2hWCMYxg

Find Out For Yourself (this is a live version but if you can, do check out the studio version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXxxgUKwjA

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Laucan - 'Framespersecond'

Completely new to me but anyone active in the local live scene has probably heard of this chap. He's a Lewes lad with a debut album that's well worth getting hold of and giving a go. Resident are spot on with the references, the album flits between very clear Nick Drake references to Radiohead in their quieter acoustic moments - esp their 'In Rainbows' era. He's got a voice to rival and is similar at times to Thom Yorke too. Tracks well worth checking out that aren't available to stream are 'Just Off The Old Kent Road' and 'I Want Out'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1mX-0UjS38

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh boy the MMP shortlist is desperate this year.

I've heard probably half of those listed and the stand-out for me is Alt-J. I've no idea why The XX is on the list. Their latest is weak, they're well within their comfort zone and missing all the qualities that made their first album so good. I guess Ed Sheeran has to be in there given how ubiquitous he's been but can't really comment on whether he deserves the place as I don't know his music.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lana Del Rey - 'Lust For Life'

I really don't get why she comes in for so much stick but there are lots of music site reviewers who have nothing good to say about her. In this regard, she seems to be the female version of Ed Sheeran. It annoys me that people get like this. I can understand it to a certain extent with Coldplay because what they offer is a watered-down version of another band, in this case Radiohead, but even then, if you don't like the music then simply don't listen to it - no need for all the hate.

I like LDR a lot and I love this album. It's true that her image is an invention but she's not the first musician to create themselves a persona and she has a fantastic singing voice and as this album shows, her songwriting skills aren't far behind. I think this is her best album to date despite the unnecessary guest appearances of various rappers of whom I've heard of but couldn't ID in a line-up nor name any songs. The album is extremely ambitious coming in at 16 songs with a lot of big hitters in there. The opening few tracks are radio-friendly and see her in very familiar territory but as it progresses so does the variation. I mentioned before her song-writing and I do think it is top notch. The song titles themselves show an acidic wit and some of the rhyming couplets within are very clever with their wordplay. As with previous albums, there's also a fair few references to the aforementioned relationship she has with some of the music industry bods.

The guest appearances are by rappers and I may be showing my own prejudices here but the guests add very little to the songs other than the extremely annoying "uh-uh, yeah" interjections. Think Wyclef Jean's contribution on Fugees 'Killing Me Softly' and you'll get what I mean. I read a few reviews where they argued that she was collaborating with cool rappers to try to up her street cred but I hope that's not the reason. I just think she's experimenting with different styles.

"God Bless America - All The Beautiful Women" is one of the stand-outs for me showing how to write a great song and still get across a political message with precision wit. Other favourites include Lust For Life, 13 Beaches and Cherry. If you weren't won over by her previous output then this album almost certainly won't change your mind but if you were a fan previously or new to her music then I think this is a must-have addition and to hell with the music snobbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NTv0CdFCk

It's a great album.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can only assume that the judges haven't heard the Richard Dawson album.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sundowners - 'Cut The Master'

This is an interesting and quite beautiful album. Their 2nd LP has been 2 years in the making and was well worth the wait. A Wirral band that combine subtle psychedelia with indie guitars and wispy female vocals, it starts well, the opener 'Before The Storm' is a solid tune with some great guitar play but it's the intro to track 2 'Great Beauty' that completely gripped me. I think I'm quite in love with this tune. Thereafter the album settles into a dreamy affair that purrs along quite easily with a lovely retro feel but right at the end is a quite epic track worthy of any C86 compilation 'Find Out For Yourself'. Anyone with a soft spot for 80s indie will enjoy this album and the last track in particular.

I can't even view youtube at work, and I love this already!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Speaking for myself at least, perhaps the list is for others than middle-aged men. I've not listened to any of those albums, but might investigate one or two on there (Alt-J, Dinosaur), but can't help thinking that there are some glaring absences (Laura Marling, Richard Dawson) on there:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/27/2017-mercury-shortlist-british-music

I've bought just 3 off that list: The XX, Stormzy, The Big Moon and saw Kate Tempest perform her album in full a few weeks back. I like the direction The XX have gone with Jamie's knob twiddling taking over. After the second album I figured they had to move on and this is as good a direction as any....especially as I like Jamie XX's solo stuff and DJ sets. Some great tunes and sounds on it. Worthy of a Mercury nom? I think so. Stormzy was purchased out of curiosity. I think it's quite clever and has crossover mainstream appeal but I know bugger all about grime so can't comment much more. Worthy of a nom. The Big Moon is so so but not really aimed at me. Worthy? Not sure. Kate Tempest I like a lot; worthy. Alt-J is getting a lot of good press so I'll buy this I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the token odd ball/jazz album this year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here