Albums Thread - 2016

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
1975 new album is out and been listening to that along with Macklemore this week on the train. Heavily awaiting the new Lumineers album, tried to get Brixton tickets for them but sold out pretty quick with many of them ending up on StubHub for twice the price which is annoying.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Anna Meredith's debut *Varmits LP is out together. I've been looking forward to this for **3 years since I saw her at the great escape. Crazily talented, classically trained experimental pop. Check out the ***Taken video.

* = Varmints
**= 2 years
***=https://twitter.com/AnnaHMeredith/status/704318200947875840

Jul 7, 2003
Not one for the trendy folk on here but the latest album by Power Metal group Avantasia is quite enjoyable. Not quite as OTT as Manowar in the old days but Avantasia do try to get guest vocalists to join in. The track below was written in the hope the Meatloaf would sing it but he turned them down as he is recording something new. This track sounds like a track from the old Meatloaf and Jim Steinman days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjRq72ZBZxs

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not one for the trendy folk on here but the latest album by Power Metal group Avantasia is quite enjoyable. Not quite as OTT as Manowar in the old days but Avantasia do try to get guest vocalists to join in. The track below was written in the hope the Meatloaf would sing it but he turned them down as he is recording something new. This track sounds like a track from the old Meatloaf and Jim Steinman days.

I hope this thread doesn't come across as elitist and apologies if it does. Speaking for myself, I know I review a lot of lesser known bands but it is mainly because that's what I manage to get my hands on, so end up listening to.

Regards that Avantasia track, that is VERY Bat Out Of Hell especially at the end with the piano fade out and then huge return, massive key change and a long, long outro in 2 parts. I like but then I'm a sucker for unashamed air grab rock.

Jul 7, 2003
I hope this thread doesn't come across as elitist and apologies if it does. Speaking for myself, I know I review a lot of lesser known bands but it is mainly because that's what I manage to get my hands on, so end up listening to.

Regards that Avantasia track, that is VERY Bat Out Of Hell especially at the end with the piano fade out and then huge return, massive key change and a long, long outro in 2 parts. I like but then I'm a sucker for unashamed air grab rock.

Not at all - not need to apologise. My music taste is fairly eclectic but in the case of Avantasia, it isn't something that would be up to the taste of many contributors to the thread so I thought it worth flagging up.

It's good to find out about lesser known bands. However, maybe some people are scared off posting about other types of music as it may not seem to fit. I couldn't care less if someone posted music by an unknown Swiss nose flute player or the latest by Little Mix - if it is something you enjoy and want to share then you should go ahead. You're bound to find someone on here who will like it.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I know Jazz is a bit of a niche pursuit in these parts but I just heard this on Cerys Matthews this morning and been listening to the album on Spotify. Reminds of Coltrane Love Supreme era, excellent Sunday listening.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Miike Snow album is pretty jolly in an entirely inoffensive and lacking in substance kinda way.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
TV Girl - Who Really Cares

A laid back, detailed and wry look at life in the immediate aftermath of the break up of a relationship that also manages to avoid too many cliches.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I know Jazz is a bit of a niche pursuit in these parts but I just heard this on Cerys Matthews this morning and been listening to the album on Spotify. Reminds of Coltrane Love Supreme era, excellent Sunday listening.

Thanks for this. Doubly pleased to see he's playing at Love Supreme this year.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

tumblr_lrmfeiv3181r3pcbso3_r1_400.gif

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
Don't know why I haven't paid more attention to this thread previously. Its provided me with loads of new music to make the day go faster at work so thanks! Anyway my recent listenings that I don't think have been mentioned:

Broken English Club - Suburban Hunting

Techno/post-punk alias of the techno DJ Oliver Ho. Kind of mix of techno, industrial, noise and punk with really varied tracks so was hard to pick a single video to represent the whole album.

The Black Dog and Black Sifichi - The Book of Dogma III

This is a 2016 re-issue of an album from 2002 but with added remixes etc. Been a big fan of the Black Dog since I heard their album Radio Scarecrow (which i still play all the time) but I'd not heard of this album with Black Sifichi before. Black dog are a techno/IDM threesome from Sheffield. They combine with Black Sifichi, a spokeword artist, to create something that reminded me of tracks by Kode 9 and the Spaceape. If you like sub-bass, I think you'll like this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks for this, and keep posting recommendations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wimps and posers: LEAVE THE HALL!

If a better lyric than this exists in the universe, I want to hear it......

All Men Play On 10 has some memorable, and chest beating, lyrics.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Only listened to it once and didn't give it my full attention (decorating) but the new David Holmes album sounds pretty good. I shall give a more considered opinion in due course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only listened to it once and didn't give it my full attention (decorating) but the new David Holmes album sounds pretty good. I shall give a more considered opinion in due course.

A good candidate for my forgotten bands/acts. I was a huge fan of his. Saw him DJ a few times in Shoreditch as well; he was either excellent or too indulgent.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
A good candidate for my forgotten bands/acts. I was a huge fan of his. Saw him DJ a few times in Shoreditch as well; he was either excellent or too indulgent.

...... not forgotten 'round pevenseagull towers. '...... Presents The Free Association' is one of those albums that I play to death every couple of years. Really need to get a copy for the pub where I work.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
'Of Course You Are', Robert Pollard continues his absurdly prolific run of superb albums over the last few years and a week after it's released he's just announced that he's reformed Guided By Voices and there's a new album next month. At least 2 more albums are due out this year.

....and I HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING HE RELEASES.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports