Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Avalanches - 'Wildflower' is my album of the year so far.

Think it will low end of my top 10. A very very enjoyable summer album for sure. LUH is my album of the year so far with Thee Oh Sees (double green clear vinyl!), PJ Harvey, Radiohead and Algiers not far behind. I do need to pull my finger out and make some purchases as I'm getting behind with releases at the moment.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Check out sometime Frahm collaborator Jon Hopkins' contribution to the series as well.

If modern classical music is your thing then I'd also add Jherek Bischoff and Ilya Beshevli. Both have new albums out this year. Also previously mentioned in this thread is Fiona Brice.

And whilst you're here HT, have you heard of this mobile record shop in Berlin that sells mainly techno and electro from a camper van?

https://www.6am-group.com/the-ghost-the-worlds-first-mobile-record-shop-located-in-berlin

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If modern classical music is your thing then I'd also add Jherek Bischoff and Ilya Beshevli. Both have new albums out this year. Also previously mentioned in this thread is Fiona Brice.

And whilst you're here HT, have you heard of this mobile record shop in Berlin that sells mainly techno and electro from a camper van?

https://www.6am-group.com/the-ghost-the-worlds-first-mobile-record-shop-located-in-berlin

I've been dabbling in modern classical stuff only recently and it's not something I know a lot about so any pointers are welcome. Thanks, I'll check them out.

And no I'd not heard of this mobile record stop. It's says they have a semi-permanent home outside Club Der Visionaire, which I know very well, so I'll keep an eye out for them; they seem a fun couple and their Facebook page is a wealth of event information as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been dabbling in modern classical stuff only recently and it's not something I know a lot about so any pointers are welcome. Thanks, I'll check them out.

I'm not particularly au fait with classical music either but I have a bit of a love affair with Olafur Arnalds music and I've gone along with his recommendations. Definitely check out Fiona Brice though. She's from Hove and has got quite a few songs up on Soundcloud incl. a few remixes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Mercury tonight.
Shortlisted six were The 1975, Radiohead, Laura Mvula, David Bowie, Skepta and Michael Kiwanuka
There was a brilliant Jonny and Thom video produced by Paul Thomas Anderson -- well worth checking out.
Juror Jarvis indicated that the winner was between two black artists, with Skepta the winner.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Pretty pleased I won my Mercury bet, I thought Bowie was going to win it but got Skepta at 10/1 just before the nominations. A good call from the judges on a very decent list this year, I thought.

We're putting on Soccer96 (link - featuring 2/3 of 2016 Mercury nominated 'The Comet Is Coming') at The Hope later this evening. I just hope their inevitable major league hangovers have subsided and that their catering expectations haven't increased too much as a result of the Mercury's hospitality last night.

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/364189

First track from their imminent new record is the lovely 'Megadrive Lamborghini' that debuted on Bolier Room a month or so back, well worth a listen, though it probably would have made more sense in the Indian summer rather than the deluge outside at present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxy7TiGSjxM

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Avalanches - 'Wildflower' is my album of the year so far.
Also enjoying the new 'Glass Animals' album 'How To Be A Human', every listen I hear something different.

Blimey, first time I've read this thread for a while and you have named my favourite two albums of the moment (though I'd add Crystal Castles to make it three.)

Glass Animals at The Dome, 22nd October. Marvellous.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Think it will low end of my top 10. A very very enjoyable summer album for sure. LUH is my album of the year so far with Thee Oh Sees (double green clear vinyl!), PJ Harvey, Radiohead and Algiers not far behind. I do need to pull my finger out and make some purchases as I'm getting behind with releases at the moment.

LUH's album is indeed fantastic.

I haven't listened to Thee Oh Sees new one yet, which is very remiss of me.

You can't have Algiers in your list - their album was from 2015. :p

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Blimey, first time I've read this thread for a while and you have named my favourite two albums of the moment (though I'd add Crystal Castles to make it three.)

Glass Animals at The Dome, 22nd October. Marvellous.

Bought tickets this morning for Glass Animals and taking my 14 year old son for only his second gig.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I guess I could have postd on here instead of a new thread but the Super Furries Fuzzy Logic vinyl reissue is available from pledgemusic. Seemingly the tracks have had a proper makeover.

What fun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Breakfast out and then vinyl shopping this morning. We're on a huge Radiohead tip at the moment and I bought In Rainbows and the Frau bought Amnesiac on 10". I also bought Nick Cave's new one and Aerosmith's Toys in The Attic. Lovely stuff.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003

Thanks for the Fiona Brice heads up, missed it on here earlier.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Finally got loading September albums on Spotify and am about to embark on:-

Wilco - Schmilco
Okkervil River - Away
Preoccupations - Preoccupations
Teenage Fanclub - Here
Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree

What an en exciting playlist! Will report back.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
This one is getting plenty of plays at chez Trees at the moment. A mixtures of influences from the Slits to Huggy Bear to Bikini Kill via Newcastle. Great name too.

***Definitely not safe for work***

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here