Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Curious to see others "Best albums of 2016 so far" lists....

For me I'm struggling to see past;

1. Bowie - Blackstar
2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

Disappointed by;

M83 - Junk

Need to give more time to:

Deftones - Gore
Savages - Adore
Yuck - Stranger Things
Porches - Pool

Really enjoying the Black Peaks album at the moment, solid debut.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Like many I'm in full Radiohead mode at present. I read Alexis Petridis' review and in it, he claims, King Of Limbs is "patchy". Anyone else think this?

I do. I'm a massive, massive Radiohead fan and TKOL was worse than a little patchy. It was sub-par. The new album is a work of musical genius, in terms of composition and production. The actual songs I think are fairly weak. There are moments but the album never takes off. There is no killer track, no weight, no knock-out punch. They've totally muzzled Identikit which was brilliant live. (I was there)

True Love Waits has been sapped of all its power too: (I was there too :angel:).

It's brilliant, but not as brilliant as I know they are.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have you heard the Holy Esque 'At Hope's Ravine' album? I say that because I know you're a big Interpol fan and there's no doubting that Holy Esque are huge fanboys.

Thanks for the tip, will get on it. I've never been as into sub-Interpol bands (Editors, White Lies, She Wants Revenge) but definitely worth a go, have heard good things about them as well.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
All the potential seen here in December I don't think has been totally realised :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for the replies. Seems I'm on my own with KOL then :smile:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Final point on Moon Shaped Pool - it meanders from Daydreaming onwards, like you're floating down the liffey. Like a nice walk in the woods. TKOL did it too. One ramble into the next. Contrast this with OK Computer / Kid A tracks. One masterpiece following another, and each song totally different from the one preceding it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

For me I'm struggling to see past;

1. Bowie - Blackstar
2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

Disappointed by;

M83 - Junk

Need to give more time to:

Deftones - Gore
Savages - Adore
Yuck - Stranger Things
Porches - Pool

Really enjoying the Black Peaks album at the moment, solid debut.

Ha. I got in at 01:30 post Middlesborough and found the wife had bought Post Pop on vinyl. I popped it on whilst having the last beer of the day. can't remember what it sounds like.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Thus far:

#1 David Bowie - Blackstar
#2 The Prettiots - Fun's Cool
#3 Pillar Point - Marble Mouth
#4 Alfredo Rodriguez - Tocororo

The top 2 are iron-clad, immovable works of joynoise. Pillar Point isn't usually something I'd listen to genre-wise but its really struck something with me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ha. I got in at 01:30 post Middlesborough and found the wife had bought Post Pop on vinyl. I popped it on whilst having the last beer of the day. can't remember what it sounds like.

Give it a go. I think Josh Homme has got his level of support and input just right on this. You can hear the QOTSA in there, but he doesn't "Homme" all over it, so to speak. Breathed new life into Iggy by giving him a superb support band, IMO.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The Limiñanas - 'Malamore'

My favourite album out of these 3, this is a lot of fun. Southern French band The Limiñanas have a new album out and it's bloody brilliant. Sadly there's only one track released on the Net from it, the title track as it happens and it's a corker but you really need to listen to the entire album to get a full appreciation of the range. It starts off with typical French garage pop but then whammo - track 5, Malamore and they go full on psychedelic and if you're a sucker for retro psychedelia then you'll love this. It reminds me in part of Dengue Fever. They alternate between English and French quite often but they mix their styles too. There's a few tracks where their sound is so authentic they could be playing Tex-Mex blues somewhere deep in a Nevada truck stop. And the lyrics...you've got to take your hat off to any band that can come up with "I'm Robert Mitchum, I'm Bob Duvall, So sit yourself down and shut your mouth"...

https://theliminanas.bandcamp.com/album/malamore

I'd seriously recommend checking this band out. (Edit - I guess it might be on Spotify or other streaming site but I don't do any of these so can't point anyone to the full album).

It is on spotify. I'd add it uses garage as a base but throws in french ye-ye pop, Gainsbourg and Spaghetti western soundtracks as other influences. Agree with Buzzer, it's a very enjoyable album.
Lead single features Peter Hook on bass

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Been listening to Brian Eno's The Ship for the past few days - it's his first 'proper' album for about 10 years. It's absolutely haunting, just the thing for long walks by deserted beaches. Closes with a glorious cover of I'm Set Free - one of my favourite Velvets' songs

It's keeping me going until I get the Anohni album

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been listening to Brian Eno's The Ship for the past few days - it's his first 'proper' album for about 10 years. It's absolutely haunting, just the thing for long walks by deserted beaches. Closes with a glorious cover of I'm Set Free - one of my favourite Velvets' songs

It's keeping me going until I get the Anohni album

Another Day On Earth by Eno is one of my favourite albums ever. It's exquisite.

LOVING the Anohni album so far.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Listening again to the Anohni album, this time with headphones on and it's a different experience entirely. There are some very dark moments in it. I still maintain it's her best album in years. No doubts about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here