Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums of the Year 2023

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Really good year. Honourable mentions to Songer, Killer Mike, Sampha & French The Kid. My top 5 however are:

5: Romy - In Air

Just really fun, innit.

A collection of insanely catchy lesbian love songs from 1/3rd of The XX

4/3: Marnz Malone - MAKTUB/Trenchfoot

Marnz Malone released his first two mixtapes this year* and has now signed a six figure deal for his next mixtape.

Impressive for any young artist, but when you find out than Marnz was received an 11 year prison sentance in 2021 you realise just how insane his progression has been.

Authenticity is a big factor in rap music, and the case that lead to his arrest means it’s hard to doubt his authenticity.

Obviously the fact it’s been recorded in prison means it’s a bit rough around the edges but it’s a fascinating insight in to a life I’m grateful I’ll never have to live.

Trenchfoot came out on Christmas Day last year but I’m counting it as 2023.

2: Potter Payper - Real Back In Style

Talking of authenticity, Potter is that rapper. His debut studio album was supposed to be a celebration of him finally getting out of the cycle of going to prison and being able to fully focus on his career.

Unfortunately things didn’t work out and he was back in jail when the album released. However the charges are dropped, Potter is off on tour and he can finally celebrate one of the best rap albums to ever come out of the UK.

1: CASISDEAD - Famous Last Words

Long awaited debut studio album from UK Rap royalty and probably my favourite ever artist. A bizarre mix of Hip-Hop, 80s synth and a dystopian sci-fi film. It shouldn’t work, but it’s Cas so it does.

The lyrical content won’t be for everyone; a lot of the songs revolve around fast cars, promiscuous femme fatales and sniffing coke but it’s done masterfully. Who else is going to say Whip a fancy car, same colour Sansa Stark Chick out of Zanzibar, big rack, sans the bra?

This may end up being my favourite album ever. It’s that good.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not heard enough this year but Sufjan or Young Fathers for me

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Album of the year (probably)

Robert Forster, 'The Candle and the Flame'

Off the top of my head these would be in my top 10

Pick of this year's 3 Guided By Voices albums is 'La La Land'
Kristin Hersh's 'Clear Pond Road'
Protomartyr 'Formal Growth In The Desert'
John Cale, 'Mercy'
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, 'Keeping Secrets Will Destroy You'
Lankum 'False Lankum'

Looking forwards to Lankum at Chalk next month as my last scheduled gig of the year,

Didn't know there was a Sigur Ros album out but that will probably be in there because it's a Sigur Ros album.
I've just discovered False Lankum courtesy of the AotY lists, and it's an unusual masterpiece. How were they live?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a confirmed old git and still trying to make our own music, I don't get enough new music, but Sea of mirrors ( Coral) and silver by say she she , JAlen Ngonda all good, and Raze Regal & white denim.

Discovering something old and great is always a pleasure too . . . Euclid . . . . Album called heavy equipment.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Only one from my list I've seen mentioned is Lana Del Rey.

1. Sleep Token - Take Me Back to Eden
2. Humanity's Last Breath - Ashen
3. Queens of the Stone Age - In Times New Roman
4. Lana Del Rey - DYKTTATUOB
5. Termina - Soup Elegy

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
The lack of engagement on this thread as well as there lists themselves really do show how much the love of the LP has diminished.

FWIW my favourite this year have been:

Lana Del Rey - Did you know
Jim (of Crazy P) - Love makes magic
Overmono - Good lies

Tbh I’m struggling beyond that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here